Page 51 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

There were CRADLE agents at the headquarters for Kate's WCA team so I at least expect that to be addressed.

One would have to assume if by the end of Empyre, Teddy is still the Sovereign of the Kree and Skrull, surely the US wouldn't be stupid enough to make a move against him or his fiance for that matter, and since History of the Marvel Universe says Teddy has an interstellar "reign" I assume he'll keep the crown for a while. That being said I doubt the law would hold any power over him as he is now.

I can see the excuse since he is an American citizen, they can try to go after him.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I can see the excuse since he is an American citizen, they can try to go after him.
    Maybe but if it turns out the Skree alliance is as "loyal" as they currently claim to be, I don't see them going for that ****.

It depends on if Teddy decides to continue living on Earth

Yeah, he said himself he's just a figurehead. Super Skrull and Tenalth are the real ones in charge.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There were CRADLE agents at the headquarters for Kate's WCA team so I at least expect that to be addressed.
    Good point, that means Kate and America are already affected (as well as Fuse and Alloy), which does need to be addressed. Gwenpool and Quentin both quit the team prior to Outlawed (Quentin went to Krakoa and joined X-Force, and Gwen was mentioned to have left in her Strikes Back series), and Clint Barton would obviously not be affected (but as of the end of Freefall he's got other problems!)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Remember Incoming?

Geoffrey Patrick is the politician responsible for Kamala's Law. Unless YA is delayed until March (i.e. after Champions completes it's first arc, which could be changed to end with the law being repealed), it would need to be addressed as soon as Teddy returns to Earth. He went off world partly because he saw Outlawed coming, he was glad to avoid that mess.
    The thing is, this was all written pre-pandemic. Maybe Outlawed was supposed to be bigger before and affect more books, but that might not be the case anymore. They could launch a new YA book now and simply not bother with it anymore because plans changed. That's just the way things go in comics. Not every book is in sync. The main Avengers book vs the solo books of some of its members is an example of that. I don't think it's a big deal if we get a new YA book and Outlawed is not addressed. You'll just have to imagine the book takes place at a different time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kate is actually the easy way out of this, if they want to address it. She is canonically 21, which means that she can supervise minor superheroes. She can just vouch for any Young Avenger under 21 (like Cassie) and boom, problem solved. You don't even need to drag the YA into that mess, and I prefer it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    The thing is, this was all written pre-pandemic. Maybe Outlawed was supposed to be bigger before and affect more books, but that might not be the case anymore. They could launch a new YA book now and simply not bother with it anymore because plans changed. That's just the way things go in comics. Not every book is in sync. The main Avengers book vs the solo books of some of its members is an example of that. I don't think it's a big deal if we get a new YA book and Outlawed is not addressed. You'll just have to imagine the book takes place at a different time.

Kate is actually the easy way out of this, if they want to address it. She is canonically 21, which means that she can supervise minor superheroes. She can just vouch for any Young Avenger under 21 (like Cassie) and boom, problem solved. You don't even need to drag the YA into that mess, and I prefer it that way.
    Former, I can still see them prep up a YA book, at least not until December or January to give Champions room. I do think the story will address it at first but unless CRADLE is a common annoyance, they won't be in it for long for the series actual conflict.

Latter though, I sense another retcon. Do we know how old Teddy, Billy and Tommy are?

Former, I can still see them prep up a YA book, at least not until December or January to give Champions room. I do think the story will address it at first but unless CRADLE is a common annoyance, they won't be in it for long for the series actual conflict.

Latter though, I sense another retcon. Do we know how old Teddy, Billy and Tommy are?
    The twins are probably 18 - 19 and Teddy is probably 20. Only ages that make sense since he was concerned about the Outlawed nonsense.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Officially, no. But someone asked Anthony Oliveira about Billy's age on Twitter once and his answer was that he was old enough to drink in the USA, implying he is at least 21yo. Billy, Tommy and Teddy were all supposed to be Kate's age, but Gillen's run had Billy and Teddy being 18 while Kate turned 21, so now it's just all kind of messed up.

Sliding timescale wise, it's been 4 years between 2005 and 2020 (5 years starting from October 2021), so if these characters started at 16, they would be 20 today, turning 21 next year. Obviously, that's in theory. In practice... they're just gonna be any age Marvel wants them to be.

It should be noted that the sliding timescale doesn't advance at a steady rate, there is a general rule of thumb 1 years for every 5 in the real world, but it's just a general guideline, it's not iron clad, sometimes it advances slower, sometimes faster, and it's not something Marvel themselves adhere to rigidly, the specifics are mostly something the fans worked out based on events in the comics. Remember, there have been two 8 month time skips since YA ended, when Secret Wars happened, one before, and one after, so it advanced at a much faster rate than usual then, and the Secret Wars time skips instantly places them at 19+, even if you ignore everything else that happened, and I think in general the timescale has been getting faster over the past few years in general, so 21 may be right. (and Kate is 23-24)
    Last edited by Raye; 07-18-2020 at 04:23 AM.

Marvel has a problem where they make characters introduced as teens in a decade or so ago become adults while people like Spider-Man and the Original X-Men are still under 30 and it's ridiculous. The YA should be like 19 max.

As I said, it's not something Marvel adheres to rigidly, they just vaguely handwave things to keep their most profitable characters from aging into retirement. I think a key factor for teen heroes is the fact that it's a time of transition to adulthood, and they can't tell those stories of them growing up if they are never allowed to actually do so. I think they should be allowed to become adults, and not just kept in stasis as teens forever, so I am cool with them aging them up to make room for the next batch of teen heroes. I want to see them graduate to the main teams and stuff.

*edit - but I do agree that the different rates of aging can be weird, and I would actually like to see some characters get a bit older than a vague 'early 30s' that most of them are forever, but I can also see why Marvel would be skittish about doing that.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-18-2020 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    As I said, it's not something Marvel adheres to rigidly, they just vaguely handwave things to keep their most profitable characters from aging into retirement. I think a key factor for teen heroes is the fact that it's a time of transition to adulthood, and they can't tell those stories of them growing up if they are never allowed to actually do so. I think they should be allowed to become adults, and not just kept in stasis as teens forever, so I am cool with them aging them up to make room for the next batch of teen heroes. I want to see them graduate to the main teams and stuff.

*edit - but I do agree that the different rates of aging can be weird, and I would actually like to see some characters get a bit older than a vague 'early 30s' that most of them are forever, but I can also see why Marvel would be skittish about doing that.
    Except that do they really do stories about growing up? It's mostly just throwing the previous generation away, the characters being relegated to sometimes appearing in other unrelated books when writers who like them manage to include them, with the excuse that "Well they're too old to be the New Mutants/Young Avengers/etc now!" while Marvel focuses on a newer "new generation". It's a cycle that has been repeated many many times in the X-Books, and is now the same with the Young Avengers vs Champions.