Page 52 of 131 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

I hope we get a Young Avenger's ongoing sooner rather than later. I would love for both a YA's title and a Champion's title at the same time. I also want another Young Avenger's + Runaways reunion.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Yeah, there's no reason Champions and YA can't co-exist as long as sales support it. After all, Young Justice and Teen Titans can. There isn't even any character overlap, unlike YJ and TT.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    It should be noted that the sliding timescale doesn't advance at a steady rate, there is a general rule of thumb 1 years for every 5 in the real world, but it's just a general guideline, it's not iron clad, sometimes it advances slower, sometimes faster, and it's not something Marvel themselves adhere to rigidly, the specifics are mostly something the fans worked out based on events in the comics. Remember, there have been two 8 month time skips since YA ended, when Secret Wars happened, one before, and one after, so it advanced at a much faster rate than usual then, and the Secret Wars time skips instantly places them at 19+, even if you ignore everything else that happened, and I think in general the timescale has been getting faster over the past few years in general, so 21 may be right. (and Kate is 23-24)
    Yes, I'm aware Marvel follows the sliding timescale rule very loosely, but I still like to bring it up for the sake of my own sanity, since it's the closest thing we have to a logical interpretation of how Marvel time works. It helps with my headcanons.

And honestly, I would just retcon Gillen's YA and say it took place post-Secret Wars, like very recently, so Kate turning 21 would still be a new development and we could shorten the age gap Gillen created between her and the OG Young Avengers. Her being 23/24 would be a nightmare, specially when just recently they had the genius idea of saying Peter Parker is in his mid-twenties. There is no way Kate is around the same age as Peter.

And don't even get me started on the Runaways only aging 2 years ever since the early 2000s, when the Young Avengers have definitely aged more. It's just... ugh. Makes me wanna lose my mind. If Outlawed was used to fix that kind of stuff by retconning some ages... I wouldn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, there's no reason Champions and YA can't co-exist as long as sales support it.
    That's the big question in the current comics landscape. Marvel has multiple young teams still planned for publication right now (Champions, Power Pack, New Warriors, Runaways, Children Of The Atom), and things are not looking particularly good for them, considering how long it's taking for Marvel to even bring them back to the schedule. By the end of this year they'll probably have a clue as to how much the market can take in terms of the teen/young line, and I fear it's not going to be much.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-18-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Marvel has always struggled with young hero books, to be honest. Champions is, what, their 5th or 6th attempt at a mainstay teen hero book?

Before Champs, the longest teen group book was Runaways and then Avengers Academy, I do think the mid relaunch hurt the Champ run (Zub admits it.) but Marvel is so deadset on pleasing the audience that won't get the book and the actual audience for it will wait for trade and digital and Marvel still looks at hard sales.

Anyways The Twins are Being Twins we love to see it!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCySPwLj...=19wyqi389k09p

Also Geekgirl101 is at it again complaining on tumblr y'all *eyeroll* oh yeah dropping names now.
    Last edited by Journey; 07-18-2020 at 12:08 PM.

A solution to the Young Avengers book is not having it be a young Avengers book. Especially since it would feel like an insult to character's later development. There is currently a perfect opportunity to spin the team in a unique direction, that works both in and out universe.
    Consider the current situation, most of the YA fall under Kamala Law. Teddie became HulKing, but he is largely a figurehead, and can't trust his subordinates.
    Their country doesn't want them. Their friend needs them. A perfect opportunity to send them into space, and due to their tie to Alliance, they would be in a situation where they wouldn't be kid GotG either.
    So it's a new niche. And it works with Marvel's goal of revitalising their space side.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Before Champs, the longest teen group book was Runaways and then Avengers Academy, I do think the mid relaunch hurt the Champ run (Zub admits it.) but Marvel is so deadset on pleasing the audience that won't get the book and the actual audience for it will wait for trade and digital and Marvel still looks at hard sales.
    Man, I'd kill to have Young Avengers, Runaways *and* Avengers Academy back in the running. (New X-Men, too! Maybe even some of those Initiative peeps like Komodo and Hardball.) So many cool teen heroes out there.

I don't dislike the Champions, but they are literally the least interesting batch of teen heroes Marvel has pumped out, IMO.

Oh, and I read Empyre #1, where Teddy sort of nods along to being called a figurehead, rather than getting all bent out of shape about it, but a few panels later, he takes charge, starts barking orders and proves that he's *not* a figurehead. So I'm not sure where this 'Teddy agrees that he's a figurehead' comes from, since he kind of demonstrated the opposite, and that the person who called him that was 100% wrong.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 07-18-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Marvel has always struggled with young hero books, to be honest. Champions is, what, their 5th or 6th attempt at a mainstay teen hero book?
    More than that. New Warriors, Young Avengers, Young Allies, New X-Men, New Mutants, Generation X, Avengers The Initiative, Avengers Academy, Power Pack, Runaways, Champions, Future Foundation. With the exception of the late 90s team and one of the current ones (Young Justice), DC has always called their present day (i.e. not Legion related) teen teams some variant of Titans, but Marvel has used lots of names for teen teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    New Warriors was longer than any of them wasn't it? New Mutants and Generation X both had long runs too (I'm referring to volume 1 for all three).

And that's a good point - they need to take digital into account and stop cancelling everything the moment it goes below 18k in the direct market!
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-18-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mostly because they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

They get something that works, cancel it for whatever writer whim or event comes up...then instead of bringing it back, they try something entirely different that no one wanted and then boggle at why it doesn't sell. And then usually bust out the "I guess fans don't want a teen hero book!" excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    New Warriors was longer than any of them wasn't it? New Mutants and Generation X both had long runs too (I'm referring to volume 1 for all three).
    I meant lately but New Warriors I always saw as a YA team and not a teen team. Gen X and New Mutants had the fortune of being connected to the X Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Mostly because they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

They get something that works, cancel it for whatever writer whim or event comes up...then instead of bringing it back, they try something entirely different that no one wanted and then boggle at why it doesn't sell. And then usually bust out the "I guess fans don't want a teen hero book!" excuse.
    They really should've made Young Avengers a proper ongoing series instead of waiting for Heinberg to have some free time to write it.

On the subject of teen/young adult books, the current New Mutants seems to be doing well. Then again, a lot of that could be related to the overall success of the DOX line, and the fact that NM was the only ongoing other than X-Men that had Hickman writing it (at least for a few issues). It will be interesting to see how Children Of The Atom performs (assuming it ever comes out) and if even the successful X-line can hold more than one young team book.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Anyways The Twins are Being Twins we love to see it!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCySPwLj...=19wyqi389k09p
    Jim Cheung, sir.... you have truly peaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    A solution to the Young Avengers book is not having it be a young Avengers book. Especially since it would feel like an insult to character's later development. There is currently a perfect opportunity to spin the team in a unique direction, that works both in and out universe.
    Consider the current situation, most of the YA fall under Kamala Law. Teddie became HulKing, but he is largely a figurehead, and can't trust his subordinates.
    Their country doesn't want them. Their friend needs them. A perfect opportunity to send them into space, and due to their tie to Alliance, they would be in a situation where they wouldn't be kid GotG either.
    So it's a new niche. And it works with Marvel's goal of revitalising their space side.
    I mean, cosmic Young Avengers is pretty much what we got during Gillen's run, so we know it can be fun for a while.... I just don't think it's something that would stick long-term. Sure, we can probably have one or two cosmic arcs whenever the narrative centers around Teddy and his empire shenanigans, but as Avengers, they would always come back to Earth eventually. It's where they belong. And no, I don't think they can just easily outgrow being Young Avengers. I mean, we saw that in Empyre; Tony Stark's first reaction to Teddy was saying ''HULKLING FROM THE YOUNG AVENGERS?!'', and on the recap pages, and on the Marvel website... Marvel has quite literally not stopped associating him with the team. So I don't see the point in trying to run away from it. They should just embrace it and give us a new YA book, no matter where it takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Man, I'd kill to have Young Avengers, Runaways *and* Avengers Academy back in the running. (New X-Men, too! Maybe even some of those Initiative peeps like Komodo and Hardball.) So many cool teen heroes out there.
    I've always liked the idea of the Young Avengers taking over the Avengers Mansion while trying to bring the Avengers Academy concept back as a way to recruit new members for the team and train a new generation of Avengers. The ending of Gillen's run with the ''teen/young alliance'' opened up lot of potential for the YA to interact with more young heroes. Although I guess that would be kinda similar to what Jim Zub tried to do with the Champions.... but maybe it could be more successful with the YA/AvAc titles, since they are relatively more commercial/marketable because of the Avengers brand.

Oh, and I read Empyre #1, where Teddy sort of nods along to being called a figurehead, rather than getting all bent out of shape about it, but a few panels later, he takes charge, starts barking orders and proves that he's *not* a figurehead. So I'm not sure where this 'Teddy agrees that he's a figurehead' comes from, since he kind of demonstrated the opposite, and that the person who called him that was 100% wrong.
    I think (or hope, at least) one of the themes of Empyre will be precisely Teddy learning to grow into a proper leader for the Skree Empire. He's pretty green now (no pun intended), but I think he'll get there by the end of the event. I'm really interested to see what his role will be post-Empyre.

They really should've made Young Avengers a proper ongoing series instead of waiting for Heinberg to have some free time to write it.
    YES. And they also should've let someone take over Vol. 2 after Gillen was done with his story, since he said it himself the book was finished and not cancelled. It's such a waste that we had two ongoings that could've perfectly been continued, but they decided to just not publish the book anymore and wait YEARS until a relaunch. The worst part is that we know they want a book like Young Avengers; Kelly Thompson said so herself, explaining that that's the reason why her WCA team looked the way it did. So it boggles my mind why they just won't relaunch the Young Avengers already and stick with it instead of trying (and failing) to recreate their magic with other books.

In MCU related news, apparently Hailee Steinfeld is no longer on the run to play Kate in the Hawkeye show:

https://www.cbr.com/report-hailee-st...ye-mcu-disney/

Jeremy Conrad says Olivia Cooke and Taissa Farmiga were being considered for the role:

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1284267046037929984

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    The worst part is that we know they want a book like Young Avengers; Kelly Thompson said so herself, explaining that that's the reason why her WCA team looked the way it did. So it boggles my mind why they just won't relaunch the Young Avengers already and stick with it instead of trying (and failing) to recreate their magic with other books.
    Yeah, she wanted Tigra and She-Hulk on her team originally, but editorial asked her to use Gwenpool and Kid Omega instead. Which meant Clint Barton was the only adult on what was otherwise a team that would definitely fall foul of Kamala's Law (hence the WCA HQ getting raided at the end of Outlawed #1).