Page 8 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It was rumored there were problems with Hailee Steinfeld's contract since she's doing that show for Apple's streaming service. Maybe the wait means her schedule would be free for her to do the Hawkeye show.
    If Marvel Studios is really insistent she be Kate, then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If Marvel Studios is really insistent she be Kate, then maybe.
    Ugh just thinking about Hawkeye gives me a headache. I remember a couple a months ago Motherfuckers jumped down my throat when I pointed out om Twitter Kate Is not Asian.. And then more trolls got upset when I pointed out Billy and Tommy don't have darker skin/aren't black and have never showed signs of being trans in one particular trolls case! Oh and that Tommy has never been confirmed as some Bisexual in love with a Homewrecking X-Men Reject or Cockroach boy! That was a rough fucking day ended up deleting it to avoid the headache.

I swear no group has ever suffered more from Forced Head Cannons then the YA. Between Tumblr and Twitter way too much stupid.
    Last edited by Journey; 01-11-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It was rumored there were problems with Hailee Steinfeld's contract since she's doing that show for Apple's streaming service. Maybe the wait means her schedule would be free for her to do the Hawkeye show.
    Maybe that can be a consequence, but Charles Murphy said on Twitter that the delay was not specifically because of this. Apparently, Marvel is shifting things around because of their plans for the overall MCU schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Ugh just thinking about Hawkeye gives me a headache. I remember a couple a months ago Motherfuckers jumped down my throat when I pointed out om Twitter Kate Is not Asian.. And then more trolls got upset when I pointed out Billy and Tommy don't have darker skin/aren't black and have never showed signs of being trans in one particular trolls case! Oh and that Tommy has never been confirmed as some Bisexual in love with a Homewrecking X-Men Reject or Cockroach boy! That was a rough fucking day ended up deleting it to avoid the headache.

I swear no group has ever suffered more from Forced Head Cannons then the YA. Between Tumblr and Twitter way too much stupid.
    Ah, yes. Stan Twitter and what I like to call ''the J.K. Rowling behavior'': making up all possible diverse features for characters that were never actually canonically established in the books. I wish people would realize that treating being a minority like it's a cute accessory just so you can say ''look how diverse is the character I stan'' is actually embarrassing and not helpful at all for actual representation.

And now that the Young Avengers are allegedly coming to the MCU, this is getting worse than ever, with people spreading this fake outrage that ''THE MCU IS GOING TO WHITEWASH AND STRAIGHTWASH ALL OF THE CHARACTERS!!!'' Like, girl, take a seat. That is not going to happen to the actual POC and queer characters. Marvel is not going to make Eli white, or Billy/Teddy straight. At worst, they're going to provide a half-assed representation, but they wouldn't deliberately go out of their way to do something that would most definitely cause a massive backlash to the franchise. And yeah, Kate could be asian, Tommy could be bisexual; I wouldn't mind at all. But people HAVE to realize that if something is not firmly, canonically established in the books, there is NO guarantee the movies or shows will follow up on that just because it's a popular fan wish.

Yeah, it's far more likely that a white character becomes an ethnic minority (due to colourblind casting) than the other way around.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Pretty sure Tommy being bisexual or at the very least queer is a given.

When Prodigy kisses him his only real objection is that he thinks they're moving too fast not that he's actually opposed to the idea and they're even shown making-out in the background in Secret Wars: Secret Love.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post

When Prodigy kisses him his only real objection is that he thinks they're moving too fast not that he's actually opposed to the idea and they're even shown making-out in the background in Secret Wars: Secret Love.
    That is an AU Tommy in Secret Wars (at least they never say what universe he's from) but I would agree anyway that main-verse Tommy is bi or at least not straight. We've had two writers so far include him in their 'non straight' group and even if some people say "But it was just a joke in West Coast Avengers!"...well Deadpool's LGBT status is nothing but jokes and people include him and Living Lightning only came out as a joke panel and he's still canonically gay. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's "in love" with anyone or even dating though.

And I doubt they'll white wash someone like Eli but there is a more significant worry of them just not including him and possibly replacing him with some super generic type. And while they probably won't be stupid enough to straightwash someone like Billy and Teddy, again they could just not include them or shove them so far into subtext it hurts.

If they had actually followed up on the ''you're moving too fast'' thing I would totally agree, but they never did. I understand how some people interpreted that, but then there's the fact that immediately after the kiss he was back to his usual characterization of flirting with girls. So was he actually hinting that David had a chance, or was he just trying to turn him down politely? We don't know, because absolutely nothing was said of the subject ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    That is an AU Tommy in Secret Wars (at least they never say what universe he's from) but I would agree anyway that main-verse Tommy is bi or at least not straight. We've had two writers so far include him in their 'non straight' group and even if some people say "But it was just a joke in West Coast Avengers!"...well Deadpool's LGBT status is nothing but jokes and people include him and Living Lightning only came out as a joke panel and he's still canonically gay. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's "in love" with anyone or even dating though.
    I don't think the Tommy situation is like Deadpool at all. Deadpool's sexuality may be used as a joke, but he has CONSISTENTLY made sexual remarks and shown same-sex attraction over the years. We have panels of him having homoerotic fantasies about Cable. We have panels of him hitting on Spider-Man (and let's not forget that Spider-Man/Deadpool established that Wade considers Spidey to be his heartmate more than his actual wife). We have a panel of Wade deliberately choosing to passionately kiss Punisher on the lips for no reason other than he felt like doing it. Tommy never had this amount of evidence pointing towards same-sex attraction. Both instances with Kate asking ''am I the only straight person on the team?'' and ''did I ever date a straight person?'' are circumstantial evidence at best, 'cause if we really are to take those obvious jokes as canon fact, then that means Eli can also be considered queer, since Kate also dated him, and, apparently, she never dated a straight person...

All of this just to say... Tommy obviously needs more development. I don't think we would even be having this conversation right now if writers actually bothered to show us how he feels.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-12-2020 at 02:35 PM.

With Billy and Teddy in the MCU (and any other future queer characters) I'd imagine Disney will work around it by only showing them being openly intamate in the Disney+ shows but keep it vague enough within the movies as not to affect that China box office.

Not ideal but I guess the shows have the time to actually develop their relationship properly so I'll live with it.

Speaking of the MCU I've been wondering how they'll work Teddy parentage given the changes made to Mar-Vell, I guess they could simply make him her grandson though another thought I had was that they might make Yon-Rogg his father for the added drama it'd bring and the more out-there theory was they'd just make Carol his mother considering she is the MCU Captain Marvel and has seemingly been working and living with the Skrulls for the better part of 30 years the idea that she may have had a child with one in that time isn't too impossible.

Plus there something fun about the idea of how two most strongest female avengers producing Marvel gay power couple, I can already see the salty YouTube videos complaining about MCU using feminism to push the gay agenda.

That would actually work. MCU Carol is old enough to be Teddy's mother. That would preserve the "Captain Marvel was Hulkling's parent" thing - they'd just need to gender swap his Skrull mother into a man. And she comes to Earth and secretly hands him over to the Altman family for his own safety.

Him simply being Mar-Vell's grandson works too - they could say that Genis was her son, and Teddy's father.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If they had actually followed up on the ''you're moving too fast'' thing I would totally agree, but they never did. I understand how some people interpreted that, but then there's the fact that immediately after the kiss he was back to his usual characterization of flirting with girls. So was he actually hinting that David had a chance, or was he just trying to turn him down politely? We don't know, because absolutely nothing was said of the subject ever again.

Yikes

You do realise how offensive the notion a person needs to pass some sort of limtus test in order to prove there bisexuality is don't you?

Kieron Gillen himself is a queer writer and certainly wouldn't of included the scene in order to be coy or "interpretive" but to simply show Tommy is open to the possibility of getting involved with another guy (he pretty much alludes that the whole team is queer to some extent).

It's been referenced in several other comics by other creator's since then and I doubt Marvel sees much benefit in trying to canonize him as heterosexual again (comics aren't exactly flourishing in bisexual men of note) so whatever Tommy is it's definitely not straight.
    Last edited by walk; 01-12-2020 at 03:25 PM.

With Billy and Teddy in the MCU (and any other future queer characters) I'd imagine Disney will work around it by only showing them being openly intamate in the Disney+ shows but keep it vague enough within the movies as not to affect that China box office.

Not ideal but I guess the shows have the time to actually develop their relationship properly so I'll live with it.
    I guess we'll have to wait to see how exactly Marvel will deal with their queer representation in the movies. After Eternals and Thor: Love And Thunder, we'll probably get a better picture of just how much they'd be willing to show.

If it turns out to be disappointing, I can live with what you suggest as long as we get Young Avengers as a show instead of a movie, because that's the place where they are more likely to appear as leads. If we get a YA movie only for their relationship to be explored in some spin-off show where they are not the lead characters, I'm not sure I'm interested. Unless the show happened to be a Wiccan & Hulkling show, but I'm not gonna get ahead of myself here thinking that's a possibility...

Speaking of the MCU I've been wondering how they'll work Teddy parentage given the changes made to Mar-Vell, I guess they could simply make him her grandson though another thought I had was that they might make Yon-Rogg his father for the added drama it'd bring and the more out-there theory was they'd just make Carol his mother considering she is the MCU Captain Marvel and has seemingly been working and living with the Skrulls for the better part of 30 years the idea that she may have had a child with one in that time isn't too impossible.

Plus there something fun about the idea of how two most strongest female avengers producing Marvel gay power couple, I can already see the salty YouTube videos complaining about MCU using feminism to push the gay agenda.
    Yon and Carol being his parents mean he's just a Kree/human hybrid, though, which is a lot less interesting than his Kree/Skrull origins. I think whoever turns out to be his parents HAS to keep the Kree/Skrull heritage intact. I know it's entirely possible things will change, but I would like for them to try and keep things as close to the comics as possible. I still think his mother should be Princess Anelle, and as for his father, I support the idea that female Mar-Vell had an adult son, and this guy would basically fill Mar-Vell's role from the comics, being Teddy's father.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That would actually work. MCU Carol is old enough to be Teddy's mother. That would preserve the "Captain Marvel was Hulkling's parent" thing - they'd just need to gender swap his Skrull mother into a man. And she comes to Earth and secretly hands him over to the Altman family for his own safety.

Him simply being Mar-Vell's grandson works too - they could say that Genis was her son, and Teddy's father.
    Well there was never really an Altman family just Mrs Altman who was a skrull in disguise who'd secretly taken Teddy to Earth under orders of his mother but if Carol was to leave her son to be raised by someone I could definately see her leaving him with her Maria.

That actually would be a pretty sweet Easter Egg for the end of WandaVision, after all the crazyness wines down Monica rings home only to tell her "brother" Teddy to get off the phone and put their mum on.

Yikes

You do realise how offensive the notion a person needs to pass some sort of limtus test in order to prove there bisexuality is don't you?

Kieron Gillen himself is a queer writer and certainly wouldn't of included the scene in order to be coy or "interpretive" but to simply show Tommy is open to the possibility of getting involved with another guy (he pretty much alludes that the whole team is queer to some extent).

It's been referenced in several other comics by other creator's since then and I doubt Marvel sees much benefit in trying to canonize him as heterosexual again (comics aren't exactly flourishing in bisexual men of note) so whatever Tommy is it's definitely not straight.
    Tommy is not a real person. So yeah, there are certain narratives that he has to be put through before we can know for sure he is a bisexual character, because that's how fiction works. Those characters cannot think for themselves unless someone writes them. I don't see what's offensive about acknowledging this simple fact.

Kieron Gillen being queer doesn't exactly mean anything. I'm not suggesting he was queerbaiting people or doing anything in bad faith. But I'm not blind to the fact that the only characters he truly outed during his YA run were America, Loki and David. Everything else was basically him throwing a bone to the fans and leaving possibilities open, while not really confirming anything. America joked that Kate had a crush on her, but that hasn't been canonically explored by anyone either. West Coast Avengers probably did a better job at showing that Noh-Varr was into guys more than anyone ever did with Tommy or Kate being into girls.

And it's been referenced several times? Where? The Tommy/David kiss was referenced once in Secret Wars, which did not take place in the 616 universe. Outside of that alternative universe, both characters haven't even interacted with each other ONCE ever since.

And in case anyone has forgotten, this is exactly how the kiss went down. Everyone is free to interpret that as they wish, but I will personally need much more than that to be under the impression Marvel is trying to sell us Speed as a legit bisexual representation.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-12-2020 at 04:17 PM.

The only slightly meaningful "relationship" if you can even call it that, Tommy has ever had outside his connection to Billy and Wanda is when he's with Kate. Those 2 will happen before he ever even looks at David again. Hell if YA ever does relaunch that's probably the storyline they'll go with, and then towards the end of the run they'll make some obscure comment about Tommy saying some dude is hot to keep up the running gag Kate only dates gays and bisexuals.

That being said I personally highly doubt Tommy is bisexual this is just another head cannon that's gotten outta hand but that's just my opinion. Truthfully I don't care what he is I just want to know more about him.

Side note am I the only one who's genuinely annoyed at how Billy and Tommy's mutant indenities are left so obscure due to AXIS BullShit! Tommy would thrive with the X-Men. And Billy does the exact same **** as Franklin Richard's in nature and their making such a big deal about him getting an invitation. I just would like it to finally get addressed a definitive answer are they mutants yes or no! If yes give me a panel of them and Molly hayes laughing in Xavier's face at being invited to Krakoa!
    Last edited by Journey; 01-12-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Tommy is not a real person. So yeah, there are certain narratives that he has to be put through before we can know for sure he is a bisexual character, because that's how fiction works. Those characters cannot think for themselves unless someone writes them. I don't see what's offensive about acknowledging this simple fact.

Kieron Gillen being queer doesn't exactly mean anything. I'm not suggesting he was queerbaiting people or doing anything in bad faith. But I'm not blind to the fact that the only characters he truly outed during his YA run were America, Loki and David. Everything else was basically him throwing a bone to the fans and leaving possibilities open, while not really confirming anything. America joked that Kate had a crush on her, but that hasn't been canonically explored by anyone either. West Coast Avengers probably did a better job at showing that Noh-Varr was into guys more than anyone ever did with Tommy or Kate being into girls.

And it's been referenced several times? Where? The Tommy/David kiss was referenced once in Secret Wars, which did not take place in the 616 universe. Outside of that alternative universe, both characters haven't even interacted with each other ONCE ever since.

And in case anyone has forgotten, this is exactly how the kiss went down. Everyone is free to interpret that as they wish, but I will personally need much more than that to be under the impression Marvel is trying to sell us Speed as a legit bisexual representation.
    So what exactly is your issue with Speed being bi/queer then? that you find to be poor represtation or again that it doesn't meet your standards of what bisexuality looks like.

Because if it's the former well sexuality is a spectrum, fictional or not I don't think anyone gets be an authorithan on it as not everyone fits into a neat box and have you ever considered that the reason Kieron Gillen didn't draw a hard line in the sand with everyone was because it's true to life that some people prefer not to label themselves or are still figuring things out and as as queer writer understood it can be a very complex/personal matter.

Your approach to this whole thing seems overally pendantic to me, as you said yourself Tommy not the most prolific character but if a brief kiss was enough to get referenced by other writers/artists then it's clearly an idea that's taken root.

If Bobby can come out after over 50 years of presumed straightness with nothing but fan speculation then by comparison I think Tommy a safe bet.