Page 83 of 131 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1963

Cassie and Champions I assume?

Whitley was my pick to replace Waid way back and then Zub. And now CB and Co. have conveniently lost his number. Sucks.

And yes, the Avengers line needs fixing but we'll save that rant for the Avengers thread itself.

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    And I didn't know Chip had pitched for a YA book. I recall him saying that he was a fan during a podcast with Anthony, so I guess that makes sense. Jeremy Whitley said he pitched for the team too (although I dislike the pitch he described, sorry LOL). Makes you wonder how many writers have pitched a new YA book and Marvel is just being dumb and sitting on the title like that. RELAUNCH THEM ALREADY!
    He mentioned it in this interview he did for DD and EH promo. He sang Anthony praises and then off handedly said he had pitched Marvel about doing YA, but apparently it didn't work out or whatever. I'd be interested to see where he'd take them.

He said once on Twitter that it was basically the original Young Avengers going missing for whatever reason and then Cassie + a bunch of other young heroes would team up to rescue them. It honestly felt like an excuse to do another G.I.R.L. kind of team but using the Young Avengers name... and I'm not here for it. Now, to be completely fair, I don't know what his full plans were. Maybe the original team would still have a big role in future arcs, but I just feel like that's not a good way to start a new YA book.
    Reminds me of Digimon Tri's premise but in reverse with the older kids gone instead *shudders*

But, can I just say that for whatever reason, his pitch makes me think of a Cassie book in the vein of like, Nancy Drew or Sabrina. She's very of that demographic, and I'm sure her powers would be an interesting way to spin it. Her most recent book with Scott was like uncovering a conspiracy or something, right? It could be like that, or even just be in like graphic novel or YA novel format. But, definitely not worthy of a YA book.

He said once on Twitter that it was basically the original Young Avengers going missing for whatever reason and then Cassie + a bunch of other young heroes would team up to rescue them. It honestly felt like an excuse to do another G.I.R.L. kind of team but using the Young Avengers name... and I'm not here for it. Now, to be completely fair, I don't know what his full plans were. Maybe the original team would still have a big role in future arcs, but I just feel like that's not a good way to start a new YA book.
    Yeah, definitely not here for a Young Avengers book that punks the originals that badly. And writes them out.

Extraordinary Member

I can agree with your thoughts on this...if they do a YA relaunch I want to have 3-4 OG YAs and build a new team around them....not just take Cassie and a group of rando young heroes and say they are the new YA team.

So if Chip and Whitley couldn't get in a series, if they do approve a series, who's writing?

Also why are they so resistant to a new YA run?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    So if Chip and Whitley couldn't get in a series, if they do approve a series, who's writing?

In the main Avengers thread it has been stated that Marvel only wants 1 Avengers title so as not to dilute the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    In the main Avengers thread it has been stated that Marvel only wants 1 Avengers title so as not to dilute the brand.
    But we can have multiple Spidey and X books.

Astonishing Member

But we can have multiple Spidey and X books.
    Its a reaction (or over-reaction) to the Avengers brand getting spread a bit too thin a few years ago when they had about 7 different books at once that were all exploiting the "Avengers" name to some extent or another--even on books that were not actually Avengers teams (like A-FORCE and OCCUPY AVENGERS). They went a bit overboard with it, and now they are overcompensating by slashing it down to just one.

Eventually they'll feel comfortable enough to expand it out again a bit.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    But, can I just say that for whatever reason, his pitch makes me think of a Cassie book in the vein of like, Nancy Drew or Sabrina. She's very of that demographic, and I'm sure her powers would be an interesting way to spin it. Her most recent book with Scott was like uncovering a conspiracy or something, right? It could be like that, or even just be in like graphic novel or YA novel format. But, definitely not worthy of a YA book.
    It's not a bad pitch if you're doing it in a Cassie-focused book. Like a Stinger mini-series or OGN, yeah, I agree that it could work out nicely. My main problem is just bringing the team back for a proper ongoing under this premise. It would be such a turn off when Marvel Comics #1000 and Empyre have perfectly set up a reunion for the already existing team. I want them to explore that first before thinking about any major changes.

It's not the first time they've been resistant to relaunch the book. No one other than Allan Heinberg was allowed to write the ongoing when he took a 4-year break from comics, for instance. When Gillen finished his run, they also didn't think of just letting someone else take over, even though that is something that is done with many other books. I don't really understand Marvel's relationship with the Young Avengers. They seem to like the team enough, but they are strict about how they are published. I guess it's just one of those titles they want out only when they feel like they have a special creative team together. Maybe they just haven't found their next Heinberg/Cheung and Gillen/McKelvie yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I mean, that is a problem NOW, but the Young Avengers haven't had a new book since 2014, BEFORE this rule was even implemented. They went through the entirety of ANAD Marvel and Marvel NOW! 2.0 without getting a new book, even though there were plenty Avengers titles being published at the time. And now that we've had Runaways, New Mutants, Future Foundation, Champions, Power Pack and New Warriors relaunches, it definitely feels like YA is being the one young team singled out by still not being relaunched. Hopefully that'll change soon.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-16-2020 at 03:58 AM.

So Whitley wanted to write all the size changing teens? Before Unstoppable Wasp, he wanted to do Bumblebee for DC. Maybe a couple of years later, they'd have accepted that pitch for the all-ages OGN line. A YA pitch was likely mistimed - how soon was it after Zub took over Champions? Because it basically sounds like a Champions plot if Cassie was calling in a replacement team.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The "Only 1 Avengers book" was about side titles like Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, etc. Young Avengers aren't really an "Avengers team" as much as a separate franchise like the Champions or Runaways. I think even Marvel editorial is smart enough to understand that(...right?).

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    The "Only 1 Avengers book" was about side titles like Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, etc. Young Avengers aren't really an "Avengers team" as much as a separate franchise like the Champions or Runaways. I think even Marvel editorial is smart enough to understand that(...right?).
    Actually, in the Empyre Handbook we've had recently, they had a list of ''Avengers'' teams that are not official (like Savage Avengers and Kate's WCA, which explains why they were allowed to be published), but the Young Avengers were not listed there, so... I guess the Avengers Office really considers YA as a real Avengers team, which is bad because of the editorial rule, but it's also good in terms of the team getting the respect they deserve. This is something that I hope it's explored whenever they relaunch; them being considered real Avengers and all of the responsibilities that come with it.

Saying that though, Empyre did refer to Teddy as being "of the Young Avengers", even though he was more recently on Sunspot's Avengers team. Which means that they don't see him as being a proper Avenger, even though whether the YA team is or not, he himself definitely is one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Hey all, it's time for your weekly "me finding things out from my Twitter timeline and regurgitating it you all" LOL.

Anyway, Al did an online con interview today, where he answered a question about Billy and Teddy! Main points were:

• He loves them, with Teddy being his fav.
    • Likes green Teddy, as well as his shoulder pads.
    • Wasn't about to write a SkrullxKree event without Teddy.
    • Felt that it was time for the marriage since they always talked about it.
    • Felt that they were around 21-23 yrs old (and then talked about how old he felt some other characters were).
    • Said he felt like it's ok for high school sweethearts to get a happily ever after, and that at this point it's obvious there's no one else for them but each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    Hey all, it's time for your weekly "me finding things out from my Twitter timeline and regurgitating it you all" LOL.

Anyway, Al did an online con interview today, where he answered a question about Billy and Teddy! Main points were:

• He loves them, with Teddy being his fav.
    • Likes green Teddy, as well as his shoulder pads.
    • Wasn't about to write a SkrullxKree event without Teddy.
    • Felt that it was time for the marriage since they always talked about it.
    • Felt that they were around 21-23 yrs old (and then talked about how old he felt some other characters were).
    • Said he felt like it's ok for high school sweethearts to get a happily ever after, and that at this point it's obvious there's no one else for them but each other.
    This is awesome!

Personally, I'm not a fan of the shoulder pads. But the green has worked in empyre (better than other times)

Where can I find this interview? I'd like to see how old he thinks other characters are.