Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Nrama: Jen Walters has always been an interesting counterpoint to Bruce Banner in terms of their levels of control and their experience as Hulks – something you've touched on in Immortal Hulk. What do you see as the primary tenets of who She-Hulk is? What is her immutable core?

Ewing: I think with Jen, the core is control.

Jen is traditionally in control, even when 'out of control,' and the big part of her character, both in the more traditional mode and right now, is that mix of keeping control and letting loose.

Her control over her Hulk form allows her to let the brakes off, both in her life and in combat, because she knows what she's doing. And when that control is challenged, for instance in her recent difficulties with PTSD, she has to relearn how to live as a Hulk - but she's always had more success doing that than Bruce has.

We explore that difference in the one-shot - it's about Jen trying to get to grips with what she learns in Empyre, almost interrogating it as a lawyer would, building a case.
    Wow. It sounds like the writer knows a thing about She-Hulk. That's nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Wow. It sounds like the writer knows a thing about She-Hulk. That's nice to see.
    Ewing usually knows what he's talking about (which is a lot).

BANNED

Jen's design looks great in Fortnite

A lot better than the way she currently looks in comics.

Astonishing Member

Ewing needs to write a Jen ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Don't really post in this thread, but I'd thought I'd share this new article that just came out with a pretty decent Al Ewing interview and some preview pages for the upcoming Immortal She-Hulk. https://www.gamesradar.com/immortal-...-being-a-hulk/

I just realized this outfit is a purple version of Big Barda's red two piece.

https://encrypted-tbn0.************/...ZgyCQ&usqp=CAU
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-28-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I just realized this outfit is a purple version of Big Barda's red two piece.

https://encrypted-tbn0.************/...ZgyCQ&usqp=CAU
    Jennifer(both human and Hulk form) is a combination of Lois Lane and Big Brada.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Ewing needs to write a Jen ongoing.
    Yes. Jennifer NEEDS to be Sensational She-Hulk again. However, she needs to go Dragonball Z style. What I want to see Ewing write is a She-Hulk vs Spider-Hulk battle..

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She-Hulk is supposed to be a very different kind of Hulk though, it's part of her character.

And I've seen a more bulked up She-Hulk that still retains her femininity and good looks, so I don't think it needs to be an either/or situation, but her current form is so exaggerated and dumbing the character down that I just don't think it's a good look for the character.
    Suggesting she doesn’t retain her femininity with her current look is a rather loaded statement as you appear to be suggesting there is some kind of hard or fast rule in the matter, that if you look a certain way you almost cease to be female. Not sure female body builders or weight lifters would agree with you.

Incredible Member

If we go by Ewing, Thanos killing her may have unlocked a new personality or her resurrection has effected her Gamma mutation.
    She’s more powerful in her current form and has seemingly more abilities if you follow the Avengers title.

The problem I have with her so called classic look is was often drawn without any noticeable musculature at all, it was more like they just drew a normal taller woman, as if they were afraid of moving in any way from how a woman is expected to look.
    Last edited by Top Hat; 08-29-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    She’s more powerful in her current form and has seemingly more abilities if you follow the Avengers title.

The problem I have with her so called classic look is was often drawn without any noticeable musculature at all, it was more like they just drew a normal taller woman, as if they were afraid of moving in any way from how a woman is expected to look.
    The She-Hulk current form is the way her figure is supposed to be. The story should be about featuring both the human and the Hulk form. I am glad that Jennifer's human side is getting the exposure she deserves. But Jennifer needs to be around someone who knows her struggles and loss firsthand: Peter Parker: The Incredible Spider-Hulk.

Suggesting she doesn’t retain her femininity with her current look is a rather loaded statement as you appear to be suggesting there is some kind of hard or fast rule in the matter, that if you look a certain way you almost cease to be female. Not sure female body builders or weight lifters would agree with you.
    To be fair, Aaron basically threw the first stone on that one by essentially having Jen say that to be ugly is to be free. And even female body builders have femininity but Jen’s look has ranged heavily from that to just ridiculously huge and ugly under Aaron’s pen.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    To be fair, Aaron basically threw the first stone on that one by essentially having Jen say that to be ugly is to be free. And even female body builders have femininity but Jen’s look has ranged heavily from that to just ridiculously huge and ugly under Aaron’s pen.
    It's the artist's choice. Ed McGinnis style is okay, I think his women look weird to begin with. There are artists who could make She Hulk as big as a house and make her feminine. I still think it's the personality that makes people think default "masculine". Just looking at the sample pages of Immortal She Hulk, shows that you can make her big and feminine with no problem. I think "swimsuit" She Hulk is outdated.

She's supposed to be much taller than the average woman. She's a jade amazon whose good looks deceive you into thinking she can't throw you around as well as The Hulk can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yeah, it was basically a rejection of her more feminine and conventionally beautiful self in favor of what she herself refers to as "ugly."
    Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    It's the artist's choice. Ed McGinnis style is okay, I think his women look weird to begin with. There are artists who could make She Hulk as big as a house and make her feminine. I still think it's the personality that makes people think default "masculine". Just looking at the sample pages of Immortal She Hulk, shows that you can make her big and feminine with no problem. I think "swimsuit" She Hulk is outdated.
    The problem is more artists default to the McGuinnes take.

I'd prefer the leotard to Big Barda bikini personally.

Incredible Member

She's supposed to be much taller than the average woman. She's a jade amazon whose good looks deceive you into thinking she can't throw you around as well as The Hulk can.

Yeah, it was basically a rejection of her more feminine and conventionally beautiful self in favor of what she herself refers to as "ugly."

The problem is more artists default to the McGuinnes take.

I'd prefer the leotard to Big Barda bikini personally.

If Aaron didn't give her the Hulk's personality, she wouldn't come across as "ugly". Aaron doesn't give her a square jaw or facial hair or anything like that....

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    If Aaron didn't give her the Hulk's personality, she wouldn't come across as "ugly". Aaron doesn't give her a square jaw or facial hair or anything like that....
    But Aaron wrote her perspective on herself so even without the Hulk speak it's pretty clear what direction he wanted to take her character.