Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

There is also this tweet to consider from Bob Quinn, who will be handling art for issues #3-5. On August 3rd 2020 he stated that "I’m filling-in on Champions for him [B]at the moment[/B]." ("him" being Simone Di Meo) and goes on to to joke about how his art compares to Meo's and also states "Don’t worry, it’s only three issues, you’ll get more of this when I’m done."

Based on his tweet and that it was written at the beginning of this month, not only is it possible that Champions is indeed an ongoing, but once Simone Di Meo wraps up his work with Al Ewing on their independent comic, he's back for another arc or two for Champions.

Again this could indeed change but from what I can gather may have happened is that editorial decided to reformat the series into a mini due to the pandemic. But for whatever reason, reversed course and changed it back into an ongoing. Also they may have reversed course only after the edited solicitations went out calling it a mini and have only just recently changed it back. Its just a theory of mine of course and we should know for sure in the future solicitations.

Also Eve Ewing has stated in an interview back in January 2020 that Outlawed is being treated less like an event and more of a status quo change. (take your bets on how long it will last until it goes back to normal.) The tie-ins and mini series are their to promote the new status quo and how it is affecting the younger heroes.

Heres an excerpt from Ewing during the interview

"Alanna Smith came to me with this story idea last summer. I was so into it and we were just talking about it as a cool series that I would do. But after I started working on the pitch, it became clear that there was interest from other creative teams in picking up the story, and that was humbling and cool. So now it's creeping more toward becoming a complete status quo change for the Marvel Universe, and I've connected with a couple of other writers to think about what they're gonna be doing in other titles. Can't wait to see where it all goes!"
    Last edited by Grimm911; 08-24-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Last summer? That makes sense. That'd be when they decided Zub's run was to be cancelled, as it ended in October.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Last summer? That makes sense. That'd be when they decided Zub's run was to be cancelled, as it ended in October.
    I'm trying to take into account the fact that whatever news we get with comics, like events, new series, and such, is usually only made when things are already planned out months in advance. The fact that Marvel put Bob Quinn on art duty to finish issues #3-5, presumably the first arc, coupled with his August 3rd 2020 tweet about him only taking over temporarily and having Simone come back once he's done, gives me reason to believe the series might exist beyond just 5 issues.

The only way Bob Quinn could have known if Simone Di Meo would take over again is if someone in the Marvel editorial department (or maybe even Meo himself) mentioned it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    What I mean is when Champions #1 was re-solicited last month it was as "CHAMPIONS #1 (of 5)" which led everyone to believe Marvel turned the book into a mini series. You can see what I mean by checking October's solicit for the series here. And at one time it said the same thing on the PREVIEWS World catalog website (as I've stated before they recently changed it back to Champions #1 and dropped "(of 5)").

As for Marvel's subscription site I believe that works the same as a magazine subscription. Meaning that your only paying for one year's worth of that series issues and not the entire run of said series.

This also explains why it says your subscription for Miles Morales: Spider-Man ends with issue #26. If you started your yearly subscription around issue #14, then issue #26 is the end date and you will have to re-new your subscription for another year.

...P.S. I found this on eBay so I can't be too sure, but this might actually be Peach Momoko's 1:50 variant for Champions #1. But like the asterisk states this may be subject to change for the final cover.
    I started with issue 1 and then renewed right before issue 11. I have no idea who it has me at issue 26.

Then again that is Midtown comics for you. They were tryng to give me credit for Ironheart and I got all her issues.

I don't see how they would make that last up until issue #26. That's way too long for a tie-in.
    Unless something else is spinnong out of it-like a Young Justice/Gen X/Avenger Academy title that has the heores training kids and watching them.

Although that sounds like New Warriors to me. But that is still a mini.

It’s also possible the creative teams on the minis are hoping for enough in sales to justify turning their series into an ongoing. If that were to happen would the minis require a relaunch, or do you think they can just continue on to another arc?

It’s also possible the creative teams on the minis are hoping for enough in sales to justify turning their series into an ongoing. If that were to happen would the minis require a relaunch, or do you think they can just continue on to another arc?
    The trend seems to be the books just continue onto another arc, as was planned with Amazing Mary Jane and Hawkeye: Freefall before Covid hit.

Ultimate Member

I would just do another arc.

HOWEVER I would preference that with what date I would do that.

Lets say someone suggest Feb 2021. With WHO is coming back that month at DC (digital does not matter). A new number one to get some attention.
    If it's the same month as the new volume of Black Panther-where he's about to hit 200 issues. New number one.
    I want to see what else is coming out that could get in the way of my book.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I think continuing the book with another arc is what makes the most sense to me, but then again, Marvel seemed interested in the ''multiple miniseries'' format with Agents Of Atlas, in which they got like 3 different books in a short period of time, but they were all written by the same writer as a part of the same story.

This was all pre-pandemic, though. These days, I'm not very hopeful about any mini getting extended. Just look what happened with Amazing Mary Jane: getting a new arc only to be cancelled before that arc even ended. And then we have multiple other ongoing books that were pretty much guaranteed to continue getting cancelled before the writers could finish their stories like Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange and Valkyrie. And then we have DC going through massive changes and how that might affect Marvel and their publishing line to worry about... Times are uncertain right now to get attached to any book that's not A-list.

Valkyrie's only on hiatus. The writers said in the print edition of the last issue that she'll be back in King in Black and the writers aren't finished with her - which suggests it'll relaunch with the same creative team. Black Cat is in the exact same situation.

Mary Jane only actually got one issue out of that new arc. In hindsight, they'd have been better off leaving it at five issues.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Valkyrie's only on hiatus. The writers said in the print edition of the last issue that she'll be back in King in Black and the writers aren't finished with her - which suggests it'll relaunch with the same creative team. Black Cat is in the exact same situation.
    Did the writers of Valkyrie specifically said her ongoing wasn't cancelled/was coming back, though? Because I know the writer of Black Cat said the book wasn't cancelled, which is why most people assumed it's on a hiatus. But if all that was said is that the character is coming back, that is vague enough that it could mean the book was cancelled and Marvel found other plans for her. I would love if Jane's solo kept going, but I don't know, I'm just not very hopeful when Marvel dumped that title alongside all of the other digital-first books that were either all ending or getting cancelled. That move suggests that they were axing the book, IMO. Unless it got some stellar digital sales to the point that it made them reconsider.

Yes. "As it says, @gronbekk and I aren’t done with Jane. More details coming soon."
    https://twitter.com/jasonaaron/statu...05695383142401

Ultimate Member

A minor note-

Riri and her previous book gets a mention in Lamar Giles's Not so Pure and Simple book.

Every little bit of free pub helps right?

The Champions celebrate Marvel's birthday.

Surely Brawn will join the Avengers game at some point - it actually includes his sister!
    https://marvels-avengers.fandom.com/wiki/Maddy_Cho

Surely Brawn will join the Avengers game at some point - it actually includes his sister!
    https://marvels-avengers.fandom.com/wiki/Maddy_Cho
    That's a surprising deep cut.