Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I'll reread the issue again, but there were a lot of things happening in this issue. Hulk attacks, resolutions between underwater species, saving the city of Pan, the death of a character, the departure of another, wow, there were tons of things that happened. It goes to show how good of a writer Pak is because he pulled off the story well. Things were settled while other other things were set up.

Now, there were some missteps. With a cast this huge, you know not everyone would get a shout out. The majority of the Agents, both new and old, basically had no focus. Maybe there was a quip or a line or a moment of action. Aside from that though, there was nothing else. But it still felt as though all of these characters played a role, y'know?

2020 was definitely a shaky year for the Agents. But I've said it before, this group is like the little engine that could. They keep beating back the odds. And with everything surrounding Covid and its backlash of racism against Asians, I feel that the Agents of Atlas are needed more than ever before.

Here's hoping we get to see more of them in the future!
    Agreed, especially on the last parts. spoilers:
    Wasn't expecting Mike Nguyen to go out like that, though.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Aero meets the Black Knight.

Last edited by Digifiend; 12-18-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Looking good bro. I like how Spurrier doesn't want to make Nationalist caricatures. Fits with Aero and Swordmaster. Neither haven't been saying, "Long Live President Xi and the CCP!" So, great to hear.

Yeah, January should be a good month for the agents. Taskmaster #3 with White Fox should be coming out that month too:

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

New song of Luna Snow, plus her official introduction in Marvel's MOBA Superwar.
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 12-18-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post

New song of Luna Snow, plus her official introduction in Marvel's MOBA Superwar.
    Video tags next time please, not url tags.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Nice to see Aero and Sword Master making the rounds.

I rather like how Spurrier admits that the Avengers aren't (or shouldn't be) necessarily the be-all, end-all of superheroes (especially, from my interpretation, in a Marvel Universe that's increasingly broadening its scope and deepening its perspective outside of mainly or mostly American superheroes in New York City).

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I rather like how Spurrier admits that the Avengers aren't (or shouldn't be) necessarily the be-all, end-all of superheroes (especially, from my interpretation, in a Marvel Universe that's increasingly broadening its scope and deepening its perspective outside of mainly or mostly American superheroes in New York City).
    True. The statement reminds me of debates we've had on the boards here where we've argued about there being all these branches of an Avengers team. Not every team in the Marvel Universe should be under the auspices of Cap and Tony. There should be an autonomy and individuality amongst the teams of the Marvel Universe. And yeah, let's just say the Avengers aren't always the best team for the job.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    True. The statement reminds me of debates we've had on the boards here where we've argued about there being all these branches of an Avengers team. Not every team in the Marvel Universe should be under the auspices of Cap and Tony. There should be an autonomy and individuality amongst the teams of the Marvel Universe. And yeah, let's just say the Avengers aren't always the best team for the job.
    Agreed. It also reminds me of the debates in the real world surrounding American cultural hegemony, and while the Avengers don't explicitly represent the U.S. government or American nation, they are still an American creation both in-universe and in real life, so there's that to consider, especially given the "Avengers World" setup of Jonathan Hickman's run some years back.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Agreed. It also reminds me of the debates in the real world surrounding American cultural hegemony, and while the Avengers don't explicitly represent the U.S. government or American nation, they are still an American creation both in-universe and in real life, so there's that to consider, especially given the "Avengers World" setup of Jonathan Hickman's run some years back.
    There was a sort of 'take that' in an issue of (if I remember correctly) Mighty Avengers where some Avengers are facing down the deposed Inhuman king the Unspoken I think, and a team from China led by the Collective Man is there and when someone comments about not knowing them he snaps back, "And that's the problem with you. My team has saved the world three times, and you don't even know who we are!"

I kind of liked the implication that there was world-affecting stuff going on outside of New York City, and there were groups dealing with it that weren't the Avengers (or Fantastic Four, or Spider-Man, or Heroes for Hire, or Daredevil, or other New York based heroes).

I would expect for there to be teams of EU heroes, former national teams of British, French, Italia, German, etc. heroes. A *vast* Chinese team. A team of Indian heroes. Perhaps a pan-African team? A photogenic Japanese team that's merchandized to the hilt.

And yet we've only seen some flirtation with the idea of international heroes. France has, what, le Peregrine? A dude with a jet pack who knows savate? India has a half-dozen mutant heroes introduced over the years (Neal Sharra, Omega Sentinel, Trinary, Indra, Timeslip, Pinpoint) and a few NuHumans like Grid and the tree-dude but I don't think most of them have actually *met,* let alone teamed up.

Japan has Big Hero Six. The first four Indian mutants you listed may well have met off panel in Krakoa. Timeslip is a New Warrior and Pinpoint a Champion, so those two definitely aren't on Krakoa. Pinpoint, in fact, hasn't had his origin revealed. Him being a mutant is just an assumption.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-21-2020 at 01:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

Japan has Big Hero Six. The first four Indian mutants you listed may well have met off panel in Krakoa. Timeslip is a New Warrior and Pinpoint a Champion, so those two definitely aren't on Krakoa. Pinpoint, in fact, hasn't had his origin revealed. Him being a mutant is just an assumption.
    Very true. And Omega Sentinel, while she hangs out with mutants a lot, isn't actually one, so I was being sloppy there.

Still, an Indian team could be interesting. Particularly if it was a little bit melting-pot-y and the government had tried to shove some non-Hindu on the team to try and appease other demographics, such as a Sikh or Moslem. (Their own version of the old storyline where Henry Peter Gyrich shows up and tells the Avengers that they have to add the Falcon to their roster!)

Ah, Big Hero Six. That was a fun movie. Never read the comic, though...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 12-21-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There was a sort of 'take that' in an issue of (if I remember correctly) Mighty Avengers where some Avengers are facing down the deposed Inhuman king the Unspoken I think, and a team from China led by the Collective Man is there and when someone comments about not knowing them he snaps back, "And that's the problem with you. My team has saved the world three times, and you don't even know who we are!"

I kind of liked the implication that there was world-affecting stuff going on outside of New York City, and there were groups dealing with it that weren't the Avengers (or Fantastic Four, or Spider-Man, or Heroes for Hire, or Daredevil, or other New York based heroes).

I would expect for there to be teams of EU heroes, former national teams of British, French, Italia, German, etc. heroes. A *vast* Chinese team. A team of Indian heroes. Perhaps a pan-African team? A photogenic Japanese team that's merchandized to the hilt.

And yet we've only seen some flirtation with the idea of international heroes. France has, what, le Peregrine? A dude with a jet pack who knows savate? India has a half-dozen mutant heroes introduced over the years (Neal Sharra, Omega Sentinel, Trinary, Indra, Timeslip, Pinpoint) and a few NuHumans like Grid and the tree-dude but I don't think most of them have actually *met,* let alone teamed up.
    You could justify it by saying that most countries don't need superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

There are numerous international teams of which most are one offs. National teams such as China Force, Desert Sword and the Supremacists are essentially villains but the ones that come to mind....

China
    People's Defense Force
    Ascendants
    Dynasty (defunct)
    Eight Immortals
    China Force (defunct)
    3 Peace (defunct)

Japan
    Big Hero 6
    Future Avengers

Italy
    Gemini

Russia
    Winter Guard
    Soviet Super-Soldiers (defunct)
    Soviet Super-Troopers
    Exiles/Siberforce (defunct)
    Power Corp (mentioned only)

United Kingdom
    Union
    Excalibur (defunct)
    Gene Dogs
    Knights of Pendragon
    Dark Guard
    MI13

Spain
    Action Force

Aqiria
    Hero Team

Iraq
    Desert Sword (defunct)

Canada
    Alpha Flight
    Beta Flight
    Gamma Flight
    Omega Flight (defunct)

France
    les Heroes de Paris
    Le Bureau Discret

Azania
    Supremacists

Wakanda
    Black Musketeers

Germany
    Schutz Heiliggruppe

Philippines
    Triumph Division

Multi National
    Super Heroes of Europe
    Euroforce
    Champions of Europe
    Agents of Atlas
    Genetix
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 12-21-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You could justify it by saying that most countries don't need superheroes.
    I guess so, but in a world of superhero lore and lives, it feels kinda, well, not very fun or creative.

In an entire universe (and then some) of superheroes, it'd be as contrived to say most countries don't need superheroes as it would be to assume that the US and specifically New York and the surrounding area is the only place that superheroes live and gather, and the only place stuff happens.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 12-21-2020 at 08:48 PM.