Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posted this in another thread, but would like to post it here too. Should the threads be merged?

In any case, just finished reading Atlantis Attacks #1. Just a satisfying read overall. Pak continues his trend of offering solid and consistent storytelling with this group of characters. There's definitely a payoff for those who have been following the group. Plot threads from the previous series, such as the moral dilemma of freeing a dragon vs. protecting refugees, continues here. I especially liked the conversation between Cho and Namor. For Amadeus Cho fans, there's a lot of shared history between these two which hangs over the scenes between them. Seeing Namor ridicule Cho's group as being weak and scared, well, that was well-played. The team is relatively new and young. Finally, I agree, the last page was a good tease.

Overall, I like where the issue is heading. It feels like the continuation of an ongoing. And hopefully it will lead to that .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Amazing Member Cindy's Addiction's Avatar

Saw the April 2020 Solicits from Marvel; Swordmaster still fighting demons, Aero gets to team-up with Iron Man and that cover of Atlantis Attacks with Wave sitting on Namor's throne looks badass!

Queen Pearl, eh?
    https://www.newsarama.com/48729-marv...citations.html

ATLANTIS ATTACKS #4 (of 5)
    GREG PAK (W) • ARIO ANINDITO (A)
    Cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN
    SECRETS REVEALED!
    • For months, the young AGENTS OF ATLAS have served secret agent Jimmy Woo’s Atlas Foundation and defended billionaire Mike Nguyen’s Portal City of Pan.
    • But as their efforts to defend Pan from KING NAMOR and ATLANTIS rip the hard-fought unity of their team to pieces, Silk and Amadeus Cho finally fight to find out if Woo and Nguyen have been guiding them – or manipulating them.
    • And why is new Agent of Atlas WAVE sitting atop the Atlantean throne?
    • What’s Jimmy’s true endgame? Is Nguyen a visionary or villain? The curtain’s ripped aside – and the Agents of Atlas may never be the same!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

AERO #10
    ZHOU LIEFEN & AMY CHU (W)
    KENG (A/C)
    WORLDS COLLIDE!
    • LEI LING meets TONY STARK for the first time! What’s behind IRON MAN’s surprise visit to Shanghai? Does he know the truth behind Aero’s secret identity?
    • Meanwhile, Aero’s nemesis MADAME HUANG is back! Her deadly plan threatens not only all of Shanghai…but the entire world!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

SWORD MASTER #10
    SHUIZHU & AMY CHU (W)
    GUNJI (A/C)
    ROAD TRIP!
    • LIN LIE and JI SHUANGSHUANG journey northwest to the ancestral headquarters of the Nuwa clan with Lin Lie’s roommate CHENG at the wheel. But Shuang Shuang’s homecoming is anything but peaceful.
    • Can Lin Lie master the SWORD OF FU XI in time to help save Shuangshuang’s home from Chiyou’s demon horde?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

A couple of thoughts:

- Queen Pearl? Hmmm, I'd like to see where that goes. I'm curious how she's chosen to be part of Atlantis. As for Aero and Sword Master, again, I'm inspired by the Aero art and hoping for the best with Sword Master. (Gonna do a pretty mean eye roll if Lin Lie is running around all scared AGAIN).

- Thinking back to the most recent issue of Atlantis Attacks. I'm really digging how Namor described the new agents as being young. They're untested, like REALLY untested. Yeah, they've saved the world here and there, but them gelling as a team and being a close unit is still up in the air. The team is almost that. Still, being the scrappy underdog? The dog that doesn't have the size, but has the fight? I think that quality fits well with the agents, both in terms of story and popularity. Hoping that the agents prove Namor wrong.

- Been thinking about this, but...well...the Shang-Chi is coming out in about a year's time. Are we gonna see a title about him soon or what? C'mon Marvel, cash in on this now!
    "I am a man of peace."

Twitter has really been going crazy over queen Pearl. Really excited to see where this goes, even though it’s obviously not gonna be permanent.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Happy Chinese New Year everyone! Marvel posted this modified Chinese zodiac on their website with famous Asian heroes in place of the animals. Agents like White Fox, Silk, Amadeus, Aero, and Jimmy are featured along with other Asian heroes like Jubilee and Colleen Wing. Guess who was born under the hero zodiac of Shang-Chi?

Check it out here:
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...lunar-new-year
    "I am a man of peace."

I guess that article is there to promote Aero, whose first issue was just added to Marvel Unlimited a couple of weeks ago.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Happy Chinese New Year everyone! Marvel posted this modified Chinese zodiac on their website with famous Asian heroes in place of the animals. Agents like White Fox, Silk, Amadeus, Aero, and Jimmy are featured along with other Asian heroes like Jubilee and Colleen Wing. Guess who was born under the hero zodiac of Shang-Chi?

Check it out here:
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...lunar-new-year
    Sway's an interesting choice, of all the possible mutants, since she's currently dead.

Granted, that's a speed bump, given the current mutant resurrection protocols, but still, there are a *ton* of Asian mutants actually alive and / or in use, including Kwannon, Karma, Jubilee and Armor, currently appearing off and on around the X-verse, and a dozen or more background fodder like Indra, Trinary, Thunderbird III, Nature Girl, Sprite, Surge, Dust, Loa, Wiz Kid, Silver Samurai, Sunfire, etc. and various non-X-verse mutants like Collective Man, Auric, Silver and Dragon from China Force or Midnight's Fire and Silhouette (or Turbo) from the New Warriors/Folding Circle or Jolt from the Thunderbolts.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Sway's an interesting choice, of all the possible mutants, since she's currently dead.
    No, she isn't.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Greg Pak Talks 'Atlantis Attacks' on 'This Week in Marvel'

https://www.marvel.com/articles/podc...eek-in-marvel?

Edit: The original AA talk starts at 6:10 on the podcast. 19:45 for Greg Pak.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Greg Pak is a grown man and he can make his own choices. I doubt anyone is pushing him to write something he doesn't want to. No one writes 3 books about a story they don't care about. If he's ever unsatisfied, he can simply refuse to work on it like Christopher Priest did when he felt like he was being tokenized. I doubt Greg feels this way, though, considering he's also writing the current Darth Vader series, which clearly shows Marvel is giving him something other than ''asian books''. If giving someone Darth fucking Vader is putting them in a corner, imagine if they actually had given him space!

The fact that you generalize AOA as ''characters of his race'' clearly shows you missed the point of the book. The group has only two characters that share his korean-american identity. Everyone else comes from a different background with different experiences and identities than his own. He certainly doesn't speak for all south korean people, or chinese-american people, or chinese people, or indian-american people, or japanese people, or filipino people, all of whom are included in the book. Not all asian people are the same. If anything, Pak is destroying the tokenized idea western media has that putting ONE asian person in a story is somehow representative of all asian people. How many non-asian writers are bothering to do this?

And let me just say this: with Shang-Chi about to become a cinematic franchise, Pak's work is not only relevant for diversity reasons, but also for commercial reasons. If Shang-Chi proves to be successful (and it likely will), a team like AOA is a potential gold mine for Marvel in the future. An Avengers-like franchise that can appeal to several different asian audiences? Trust me: it's not weird that Marvel is pushing this. It's actually smart as hell.
    I just wanted to say thank you for this post. It was wonderful and enlightening, and was very much appreciated following yet another one of KurtW95's ignorant posts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

- Been thinking about this, but...well...the Shang-Chi is coming out in about a year's time. Are we gonna see a title about him soon or what? C'mon Marvel, cash in on this now!
    With regards to this, one of the things that stood out to me was all the Black Widow focus beginning in April. I didn't realize her movie was coming out soon. Going from that, my guess is that we'll start hearing about and seeing even more Shang-Chi focus as soon as his movie gets nearer to its release, just as it is with Black Widow.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-28-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Greg Pak Talks 'Atlantis Attacks' on 'This Week in Marvel'

https://www.marvel.com/articles/podc...eek-in-marvel?

Edit: The original AA talk starts at 6:10 on the podcast. 19:45 for Greg Pak.
    Always appreciate Greg Pak's views on the Agents of Atlas. Basically a summary of what we've already gathered from the previews and other interviews. Still, it's cool nonetheless.

Oh yeah, Pak is hopeful that this latest mini goes well. If it does, we just might see more Ares in a future storyline. Crossing the fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    With regards to this, one of the things that stood out to me was all the Black Widow focus beginning in April. I didn't realize her movie was coming out soon. Going from that, my guess is that we'll start hear about and seeing even more Shang-Chi focus as soon as his movie gets nearer to its release, just as it is with Black Widow.
    Thanks for the reassurance bro. Keep an eye out on this.
    "I am a man of peace."

Pretty cool how Marvel gave a summary of the scene from Totally Awesome Hulk #15 which features Jimmy and Shang fighting over the check:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...e-polite-fight

Said it before when it first came out, but I'll say it again: in my experience, fighting over the check hasn't involved Kung Fu and laser blasts....but it's come close .
    "I am a man of peace."