Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Susan Storm-Richards: The Invisible Woman Appreciation 2020

Welcome to this year's appreciation thread of Marvel's first lady: The Invisible Woman!

New Year. New Sue.

Here's hoping 2020 and beyond brings amazing things for Marvel's first lady!

Previous appreciation threads:

2018:https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2018
    2019:https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

Origin

Along with the other members of the Fantastic Four Susan Storm's story begins in the pages of Fantastic Four #1 (1961).

After the fateful bombardment of cosmic rays Sue found she had the ability to turn invisible at will and took on the moniker of the Invisible Girl.

Through the years

As time progress Sue discovered more to her powers, gaining the ability to turn other things invisible as well as generate powerful force-fields that she can she shape in any for she chooses.

Susan also married her fellow teammate, Mr Fantastic, and has had two children with him. Becoming one of the most well-known superhero mothers in media.

She has led the Fantastic Four when Mr Fantastic was thought dead, has been the Queen of old Atlantis, worked as a spy for SHIELD, and has done many more things.

Eventually, Sue drops the 'Girl' part of her codename and becomes The Invisible Woman.

Invisible Woman today

Sue has grown exponentially since her introduction and is now considered the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four and one of the more powerful heroes in Marvel.

She is now a confident, powerful, and respected member of the Fantastic Four. As well as a leader in her own right.

I look forward to what's in store for Sue in the upcoming years and hope she continues to grow and impress.

Now, let's appreciate the first lady of Marvel!
    Last edited by Crimz; 12-31-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Powers and Abilities

Invisibility

Sue can make herself and others invisible by bending light and things on the uv spectrum around her. She also has the ability make invisible things visible. She is precise enough to even blind someone by bending light away from their eyes.
    Sue can also see/sense things that are invisible/camouflaged.

Force Fields

Sue has the ability to generate invisible force fields. She has complete control over them, enabling her to change their shape, size, texture, and density to whatever she wants. Even using to simulate flight. Her only limit is her imagination.
    Her force-fields are powerful enough to defend against attacks from 100 tonner and cosmic beings. However, the more powerful an attack is the more mental strain it puts on Sue and enough force will make her drop her force-fields.
    It is theorized by Mr Fantastic and his father Nathaniel Richards that her force-fields derive from Hyperspace, the same dimension as the Celestials.

Martial arts training

Susan has been trained in judo by Mr Fantastic, self defense from The Thing and She Hulk, training from Iron Fist, and some training as a SHIELD operative.
    This makes Sue a competent Martial artist in her own right, but her powers mean that she rarely needs to use it.

Other skills

Sue is a capable actress having had some coaching and further training from SHIELD.
    She is also fluent in multiple languages including such as Italian and Slovak.

Recommended/Essential Reading

These are for particular runs/arcs that had Sue as the focus or has great moments for her. Which is why runs prior to Byrne's, such as Stan Lee's/Jack Kirby's run, were left out.
    Sue didn't get a lot of focus in the original run, but still had some good moments though rare.

The main Fantastic Four thread would be a better place for more on the original Lee/Kirby run and other Fantastic Four runs for those interested: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2020

John Byrne

Fantastic Four Vol.1 #232–295

Mark Waid

Fantastic Four Vol. 3 #60-#70
    Fantastic Four Vol 1 #500-#524
    Invisible Woman (Mini series)

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Marvel Knights 4 Vol.1 #1-#30

Jonathan Hickman

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-#5
    Fantastic Four Vol 1 #570-#588
    FF Vol 1 #1-#11
    Fantastic Four Vol 1 #600-#611 alternating with FF Vol 1 #12-23

James Robinson

Fantastic Four Vol 5 #1-#14
    Fantastic Four Vol 1 #642-#645
    Fantastic Four Annual Vol 5 #1

One Shot's/Mini's

Before the Fantastic Four: The Storms Vol 1. #1-3 (2000)
    Captain Universe: Invisible Woman #1 (2006)
    SHIELD Vol. 3 #4 (2015)
    Invisible Woman (2019)
    Last edited by Crimz; 12-31-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Mighty Member

Crimz, would you had want Sue to team up with WW in a DC/Marvel crossover someday?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    Crimz, would you had want Sue to team up with WW in a DC/Marvel crossover someday?
    That is a great theme for ideas. What DC character should Sue team up with?

Personally, I'd shy away from WW as she and Sue seem to be similar personality wise. Both loving and wanting the peaceful solution, but not taking any $#!+. I'd lean towards characters who have different personalities than Sue.

Black Canary
    Batwoman
    Oracle (Barbara Gordon)

If powers are something that would attract people, go for Supergirl or Superman and make it a big cosmic story.

A Sue/Big Barda story, though would be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    I'd love it because Diana is iconic, but I also agree with CaptCleghorn that their personalities may not be different enough to provide interesting interactions. But it would still be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

Personally, I'd shy away from WW as she and Sue seem to be similar personality wise. Both loving and wanting the peaceful solution, but not taking any $#!+. I'd lean towards characters who have different personalities than Sue.

Black Canary
    Batwoman
    Oracle (Barbara Gordon)

If powers are something that would attract people, go for Supergirl or Superman and make it a big cosmic story.

A Sue/Big Barda story, though would be my first choice.
    I like those choices, especially Big Barda which could be a lot of fun.

If it were based solely on powers I'd choose Green Lantern. Probably Guy Gardner because he gets on everyone's nerves.
    Last edited by Crimz; 12-31-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'd choose Green Lantern. Probably Guy Gardner because he gets on everyone's nerves.
    "I've got an omnipotent teenager at home, You think you're a problem?" This book writes itself.

The Invisible Woman and the Legion of Superheroes Invisible Boy!

Some storyline that required Sue to work with Lex Luthor might be interesting.

This conversation reminds me of probably the only fanart of the Sue and Diana together:

by Ramon Villalobos
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I really hope Sue gets some focus in the upcoming Empyre storyline.

Mighty Member

One of the things I hope 2020 brings is more story content and drama outside of her family. It feels like every time the writers and editorial wants to ignore Sue's lack of substance outside the team book, they just inflate her feats of power which will eventually lead to a power creep issue. Then again, her son must have inherited that from her.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

Black Canary
    Batwoman
    Oracle (Barbara Gordon)
    Canary, Oracle? So basically you'd have Sue join the Birds of Prey.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    This conversation reminds me of probably the only fanart of the Sue and Diana together:

by Ramon Villalobos
    The footwear on these woman is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Canary, Oracle? So basically you'd have Sue join the Birds of Prey.
    Not at all. The characters I mentioned all provide contrasts to Sue's personality. Granted, much of what I'm relying on for this is due to Gail Simone's Birds series, but Canary gives a real Ben or Johnny action vibe and Oracle screams Reed. Sue with both of them together is a far different dynamic than Sue with either of them separately.

Happy New Year to the one and only Invisible Woman and matriarch of the FF .