Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    To be fair some of this began in the several years before Byrne took over.

Around # 159, Reed put an amplifying head band on Sue to massively increase her powers. The effects were later said to have enhanced her permanently.

Later, # 170 or in between, George Pererz took over and really increased her abilities, visually (I know there was another writer, Wolfman?) but there were scenes showing Sue explaining how she could bi-focus on more than one thing with the FFs.

Another is around the early # 200s with the Xandar/Sphinx adventure (one of my favorites!) but the aging ray (and this was a story John B drew but I think Wolfman wrote) 's reversal decreased the ages of 3 of the FF, with it said Sue being younger than Reed and Ben may have tweaked back even more. Since that time, maybe slightly before Sue's portrayal's with the powers or other invisible things slowly improved.

But yes, John Byrne totally took it beyond and it has since, more or less, many mundane/type articles would indicate that she may be the most powerful member.
    An excellent summation of Sue's powers upgrade. Just one small amendment: in 159, it was the "Thunder Horn" I believe, that increased Sue's powers. She was trying to cover the entire Himalayas or something in invisibility. The helmet-gizmo thing that Reed stuck on Sue's head was way back in #22, and was the catalyst which increased her powers and which first allowed Sue to create invisible force fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    DC has since pretty much given the “Superwoman” name to the villain from the Crime Syndicate of America.
    Exactly! I love the evil Superwoman!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I didn't realize the name Superwoman is primarily associated with a villain in DC.

Yeah, I remember in that TV interview in FF #245, that's exactly what Sue brings up too, that even in captivity she did save the rest of the team from being suffocated to death. But frankly, out of all the Silver Age heroines (Sue, Jean, Janet, and Wanda), Sue tended to play the damsel in distress role the most. And even her force fields were introduced as a strictly passive power so that she didn't do much with them beyond shielding her teammates. I'm glad her power progressed over the years to something that could be used offensively as well as defensively.
    I recall that Black Widow, Medusa, and Sersi were more formidable, even though they arguably started off more antagonistic in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I recall that Black Widow, Medusa, and Sersi were more formidable, even though they arguably started off more antagonistic in the beginning.
    It is pretty telling that the most formidable female characters of the era were the sultry, femme fatales who started off as villains. Although I wouldn't group Sersi with them because I don't think she was introduced until the 70s. Crystal might be a better example and from what I remember, she was portrayed as far more capable than Sue during her first tenure on the team. Readers were writing in that Sue is useless and should be permanently replaced with Crystal.

It is pretty telling that the most formidable female characters of the era were the sultry, femme fatales who started off as villains. Although I wouldn't group Sersi with them because I don't think she was introduced until the 70s. Crystal might be a better example and from what I remember, she was portrayed as far more capable than Sue during her first tenure on the team. Readers were writing in that Sue is useless and should be permanently replaced with Crystal.
    Sersi so was apparently in Strange Tales #109, but fair point. Crystal was definitely more capable, and that fact that readers were complaining about Sue not doing enough combined with her invisibility and force fields not being used to their full potential probably shows the failure on the writers’ part.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-10-2020 at 10:37 PM.

The discussion is reminding me of this list from the 70s which explains everything really.

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The discussion is reminding me of this list from the 70s which explains everything really.

Yeah, but poor old Quicksilver only got 1 star, but he was very prominent in the 1970's.

I guess for me, I didn't see it that way. Only 2, or 3 years separate my summation and Byrne's era and I felt that the later 40 some issues coming up to # 200 and then Xandar war era, had quite a bit of good use of Sue and her abilities. As an always fan, I remember looking forward to each issue during certain arcs to se what she would do. Byrne was the creme de la creme and I would be lying if I didn't see his portrayal/upgrade as being the most significant.

But go back to those Perez drawn issues running up to # 200 and then I think Pablo Marcus (?) did some of the ones in the final few before 200. They really seem to employ creative and strong things for Sue to do.

there have actually been a number of Superwomen, and this one is hardly worth noting as I believe it's a dream or imaginary sequence.

But silver age and some bronze have a number of super women. A descendent of Jimmy Olsen a thousand years from now is one them (magic or some device and her powers are not quite a match)

Going to disagree, but we're both right. the Thunder Horn was modified into a band around / for her head. Don't make me go to the basement and dig it out! (kidding)

there have actually been a number of Superwomen, and this one is hardly worth noting as I believe it's a dream or imaginary sequence.

But silver age and some bronze have a number of super women. A descendent of Jimmy Olsen a thousand years from now is one them (magic or some device and her powers are not quite a match)
    DC's used the name, but I suspect it was primarily to maintain copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

I agree, poor Quicksilver. He was basically written out of the Avengers when he and Crystal ended up together and the two were in character limbo for almost a decade. It's probably one of the reasons that Quicksilver isn't considered a core Avenger the way Wanda or Vision are.

I'm also surprised that The Cat and Black Knight both got two stars. Wasn't Black Knight turned into stone for years and then sent back to the past after the curse was broken? I don't think he became relevant again until the mid-80s. And The Cat ended up being cancelled after only a handful of issues and then transformed into Tigra which is a real shame because I always preferred Greer as the Cat. And no Marvel writer has ever thought about restoring her to that role since.

I agree, poor Quicksilver. He was basically written out of the Avengers when he and Crystal ended up together and the two were in character limbo for almost a decade. It's probably one of the reasons that Quicksilver isn't considered a core Avenger the way Wanda or Vision are.

I'm also surprised that The Cat and Black Knight both got two stars. Wasn't Black Knight turned into stone for years and then sent back to the past after the curse was broken? I don't think he became relevant again until the mid-80s. And The Cat ended up being cancelled after only a handful of issues and then transformed into Tigra which is a real shame because I always preferred Greer as the Cat. And no Marvel writer has ever thought about restoring her to that role since.
    Yes,you are correct on all your points.

Dane was stuck in the 12th Century fighting in the Crusades until the 80's. The curse of Amora was not broken--the Defenders went back in time but could not undo her spell. Dane stayed in the past. Later on, his stone body was transported to the Avengers Mansion behind the scenes. Some unknown assailant whose only body part shown was a metallic hand, touched the statue bringing it to life. It was destroyed fighting the Avengers.

And I agree, I liked Greer better as the Cat.

And meanwhile, Saturn Girl became the leader of a superhero team in 1964 (Adventure Comics #323).

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes,you are correct on all your points.

Dane was stuck in the 12th Century fighting in the Crusades until the 80's. The curse of Amora was not broken--the Defenders went back in time but could not undo her spell. Dane stayed in the past. Later on, his stone body was transported to the Avengers Mansion behind the scenes. Some unknown assailant whose only body part shown was a metallic hand, touched the statue bringing it to life. It was destroyed fighting the Avengers.

And I agree, I liked Greer better as the Cat.
    You're right and I think Doctor Strange kept his stone body for a while as well, possibly in the Defenders.

BTW, what was everyone's reaction here to Grand Design with Sue leaving Reed for Namor and Namor being Franklin's biological father?

You're right and I think Doctor Strange kept his stone body for a while as well, possibly in the Defenders.

BTW, what was everyone's reaction here to Grand Design with Sue leaving Reed for Namor and Namor being Franklin's biological father?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!