Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I wonder what Sue can do with other aspects of the EM Spectrum.

She can change the color of anything, so I wonder else she can do after seeing in Empyre that she can become invisible to radar too.

There's so much Sue should be able to do with her powers, especially with her precision and mastery over them.

IMG_20200906_192116.jpg
    Ultimate Sue's senses were somehow attuned to the invisible spectrum.

IMG_20200906_192037.jpg
    Here Ultimate Sue funnels ambiant light in an prisms to create a light source.

It was quite interesting to see how writers use Ultimate Sue's powers because it meant 616 Sue could potentially do the same stuff. Ultimate Sue's force fields were light constructs, which was something I wasn't particularly a fan of since it ultimately limited her capabilities.
    Last edited by Billy Maximoff; 09-06-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Maximoff View Post
    There's so much Sue should be able to do with her powers, especially with her precision and mastery over them.

IMG_20200906_192116.jpg
    Ultimate Sue's senses were somehow attuned to the invisible spectrum.

IMG_20200906_192037.jpg
    Here Ultimate Sue funnels ambiant light in an prisms to create a light source.

It was quite interesting to see how writers use Ultimate Sue's powers because it meant 616 Sue could potentially do the same stuff. Ultimate Sue's force fields were light constructs, which was something I wasn't particularly a fan of since it ultimately limited her capabilities.
    It's ironic how writers pay more attention to her force-fields when the powers that she's named after provide more opportunities for creative applications.
    I'd like to see if Sue's eyesight develops in such a way, as she already senses invisible things and can "see" them with cosmic radiation. It wouldn't be too far-fetched for her to be able to see things on the invisible end of the em spectrum.

She's contained ambient light into a light source before.

It's a really cool application of her power and has me wondering what else she could do with light. But that particular uses only makes sense if she's alone, there isn't much use for it when you have a Human Torch.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-06-2020 at 02:21 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

It's ironic how writers pay more attention to her force-fields when the powers that she's named after provide more opportunities for creative applications.
    I'd like to see if Sue's eyesight develops in such a way, as she already senses invisible things and can "see" them with cosmic radiation. It wouldn't be too far-fetched for her to be able to see things on the invisible end of the em spectrum.

It's a really cool application of her power and has me wondering what else she could do with light. But that particular uses only makes sense if she's alone, there isn't much use for it when you have a Human Torch.
    I get the prism part. That's an understandable use of her force field powers to form the prisms. Forming a field that "captures and transfers light seems a bit much though. Her invisibility allows her to shift light around herself or others to continue on its original path. I find the ability to be able to consciously funnel light to be a bit much. Ultimate Sue is a super-genius and knowing how to place the prisms to best utilize light is something I can accept. But being able to funnel light seems a lot like TK with light and although I can see the development, it sounds like too much to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I get the prism part. That's an understandable use of her force field powers to form the prisms. Forming a field that "captures and transfers light seems a bit much though. Her invisibility allows her to shift light around herself or others to continue on its original path. I find the ability to be able to consciously funnel light to be a bit much. Ultimate Sue is a super-genius and knowing how to place the prisms to best utilize light is something I can accept. But being able to funnel light seems a lot like TK with light and although I can see the development, it sounds like too much to me.
    I just stopped thinking like that about Sue's powers a long time ago. Otherwise lots of thinks don't make sense.

A prime example is her ability to make things invisible layer by layer. How does that work if all she's doing is bending light? I could understand an entire object but could she make a section of a wall invisible to see through it like a window? There'd have to be more to it than "bending light".

"Trapping" light in a force-field is on the lower end of things I can roll with. I just attribute it to her being able to affect light more than we initially thought.

BANNED

I just stopped thinking like that about Sue's powers a long time ago. Otherwise lots of thinks don't make sense.

A prime example is her ability to make things invisible layer by layer. How does that work if all she's doing is bending light? I could understand an entire object but could she make a section of a wall invisible to see through it like a window? There'd have to be more to it than "bending light".

"Trapping" light in a force-field is on the lower end of things I can roll with. I just attribute it to her being able to affect light more than we initially thought.
    Lol, sometimes her invisibility makes no sense, like why does she need a costume made of Unstable Molecules if she bends light become invisible?

I should follow your example, but going into detail on this stuff is a masochistic pleasure of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I should follow your example, but going into detail on this stuff is a masochistic pleasure of mine.
    I like thinking about the details too, but I try to think of what she could do instead how she does it. Getting to much into the 'how' eventually leads to a headache with most superheroes.

Mighty Member

This is why I choose not to think about the physics of this. Thermodynamics would have had Johnny dead long ago, Reed would have annihilated his various organs, and Sue's light powers are a whole new level of nonsense.

Changing the topic, slightly, it's been years but in the early stories, Sue on a couple of occasions had premonitions. I don't remember the exacts, but I always felt she was minority psychic then, which would be considered mutant, perhaps.

Maybe her senses in this manner and training; visualization and such, are factors in the deployment of these finer abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Changing the topic, slightly, it's been years but in the early stories, Sue on a couple of occasions had premonitions. I don't remember the exacts, but I always felt she was minority psychic then, which would be considered mutant, perhaps.

Maybe her senses in this manner and training; visualization and such, are factors in the deployment of these finer abilities.
    Without specific reference points, I'm inclined to put this off as 1960's "woman's intuition". Now, if this is the case and Sue does possess some MINOR psychic abilities, it could explain how well she developed into better utilizing her power.

All-New Member

Hi there. Long time lurker here. Invisible woman is my favorite superhero and I have also spent some time wondering how her powers might work and I believe I have a theory on how her ability to make something invisible layer by layer works.

Be warned though because not only English is not my mother tongue but also this theory is kind of intense, is really hard to explain, and is based on the hypothetical existence of 4-dimensional Euclidean space, which has 4 mutually perpendicular directions (x,y,z,w), meaning there is up and down, left and right, forward and backward + inward and outward. This 4th spatial dimension is the key to understanding her ability. Because I believe she bends the light into the 4th dimension in order to achieve this feat (layer by layer invisibility) and considering her powers work by accessing the hyperspace (a higher plane of existence) this makes sense to me.

Now let’s take a step back and imagine a flat universe inside our 3-dimensional space. (something like a piece of paper resting on top of a table) Now pick a point on the paper. By going up from this point you go out of your original 2D plane of existence and access the third dimension (the space above the paper). This is true for all the points on the paper, meaning you can access the 3rd dimension from any point on the 2-dimensional space. Also, after freely traveling above the paper you can go back to any point on the 2D plane.

By this logic if there are 4 spatial dimensions you should be able to access to the 4th dimension from any point on the 3D space and after freely traveling on the 4th dimension you can go back to any point on the 3rd dimension. Even inside an object.

So what I believe she is doing is: when the light she bends encounters an object, instead of bending the light around the object (like she usually does) she bends the light into the 4th dimension, displace it accordingly on the 4th dimension and bends it back to our 3-dimensional space even inside an object, reflect the light off of the desired section of the object and bends it back to the viewers’ eyes. Hence, layer by layer invisibility. Does any of this makes sense? Lol.

For a more thorough explanation of 4D space you can check out:
    http://eusebeia.dyndns.org/4d/4dfaq
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6kn6nXMWF0

Wow I'm not smart enough to understand that lol.
    But I think I get the general idea. Could that theory also be the explaintion for how she puts her force-fields inside solid objects?

BANNED

Great theory erk but I'm also not that smart but can see what you're saying in some degree.

Also, I recently saw Crimz's Respect Thread for Sue on ComicVine, someone bumped it, Great job, I could just have started with Johnny's one, considering you already had one, anyway I'm stealing some of the stuff I didn't have and adding it to mine, hehe.
    Last edited by Billy Maximoff; 09-07-2020 at 07:23 PM.

All-New Member

Wow I'm not smart enough to understand that lol.
    But I think I get the general idea. Could that theory also be the explaintion for how she puts her force-fields inside solid objects?
    Yes, it definitely could. Imagine you cut out a square out of paper. And put it on top of another larger paper. The square is your 2D object and the other paper is your 2D universe. By moving the square up (out of the 2D plane) and into the 3rd dimension (the space above the paper) you make the square leave its original 2D plane of existence. After moving the square in the 3rd dimension, you can put it back anywhere on the paper. From a 2D creatures’ point of view the square mysteriously vanished and reappeared at another point.

By the same logic you can take any object from 3-dimensional space, move it along the 4th dimension, which makes it look like it disappears, and put it back anywhere on the 3-dimensional space. Even inside a solid object.

To help you better understand I prepared two images.

Here, there are two squares in 2D space. The first one (number 1) is hollow and the other (number 2) is filled. Let’s say you want to put 2 inside 1. Just by moving it along the x and y axes you cannot put it inside the hollow one. Because the hollow square has a continuous border in 2 dimensions which blocks entry. But if you move the filled square along the 3rd axis, relocate it and move it back into its original plane you can put it inside the hollow square.

And here is the same logic happening in one dimension higher.

Back to our discussion, what I believe she is doing is: instead of taking an object from the 3rd dimension she creates a force field directly in the 4th dimension (in hyperspace) and then moves it into our 3-dimensional space at any point. Even inside an object.

For further explanation you can check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4aKJuKP0Q
    Last edited by erk; 09-08-2020 at 06:20 AM.

4th dimensional use of her power seems a very good explanation for Sue's abilities. It also helps to explain how she makes layers of a person or object invisible. I just may shut up about the pseudo-science I think makes up Sue's power and let erk speak far more wisely and eloquently than I.

Great start, erk!