Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I agree. Flaws are what makes characters interesting and when I thought about it Sue didn't really have any. Hopefully a writer see's what she lacks and tries to develop her.
    What flaws does everyone think she should have?
    Imperfect parenting. Forget the superhero stuff and go back to what made the FF relatable in the first place. Superhumans had very human flaws. Have Sue make some common parental blunders like comparing her children to other people's children. This would require the FF to have a supporting cast with actual children, but that's a different discussion. Have her embarrass her kids in front of their friends by reminding them to change their underwear like Delia Ketchum would in Pokemon. Maybe have Sue work a lot and not see her children as often. Have her punish her kids too harshly. Do something to make her less of a generic mom figure and more of a flawed but well meaning parent.

Supporting cast families with kids? What about the Lafayettes? Moon Girl's family.

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    The whole idea that an FF member is going to killed off is pure speculation. There's no evidence that that's the plan -- and with Slott, the ultimate FF fanboy writer -- he's done his level best to stress the whole family nature of the team. I can't imagine him killing off one of the core members at this time --- although he has said that Empyre would have major ramifications for the FF going forward.

And during the whole Empyre event -- Franklin and Val will be hanging with Spider-Man and Wolverine on Earth while the rest of the family is off in space. Do you really think those 2 will let one of the FF's kids die?

My bet is that the Kree and Skrull kids that seem important to the storyline will be left to be raised by Reed and Sue to prepare them for their future of leading their respective races.
    Which would create a Junior Fantastic Four. Franklin, Valeria, Kree boy and Skrull girl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Supporting cast families with kids? What about the Lafayettes? Moon Girl's family.
    I was looking for people who are a bit older. I'm sorry, but I find my idea mixed with Moon Girl or any genius under the age of 13 with a teenager to be outright malice on any parent's part. Curse the time skip!

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Imperfect parenting. Forget the superhero stuff and go back to what made the FF relatable in the first place. Superhumans had very human flaws. Have Sue make some common parental blunders like comparing her children to other people's children. This would require the FF to have a supporting cast with actual children, but that's a different discussion. Have her embarrass her kids in front of their friends by reminding them to change their underwear like Delia Ketchum would in Pokemon. Maybe have Sue work a lot and not see her children as often. Have her punish her kids too harshly. Do something to make her less of a generic mom figure and more of a flawed but well meaning parent.
    I think her not being this perfect mother should definitely be one of her flaws. I think it should be rooted in her own childhood and overcompensating for own parents failures leading to her making her own mistakes.
    But that should only be one flaw, and she should have more that are not about being a mother or wife.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I think her not being this perfect mother should definitely be one of her flaws. I think it should be rooted in her own childhood and overcompensating for own parents failures leading to her making her own mistakes.
    But that should only be one flaw, and she should have more that are not about being a mother or wife.
    That's the reason I love Sue occasionally letting loose with a less than clean word. Granted, she'll never be Jessica Jones, but she should have occasional phrases that catch people's attention as atypical for her. I also would like her to have a bit of a white trash streak. Granted, nothing huge, but sometimes she should be out of place at big events. She and Johnny had relatively middle/upper middle class normal childhoods. Sue also can be a bit of a Karen. It might be her mothering of the team, but she likes things in line. That probably goes into other aspects of her world as well.

I think part of Sue's stellar personality and qualities is the tendency to build her up to make up for putting her in the background for decades. Her talents and abilities are spotlihhted and made to look better. Make her a more real character and the book will be better.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Just don't put Sue through a supervillain-induced wringer for her to have a really off day and make an outburst. When she told off Franklin to go to his room she had just recovered from the Hate-Monger's control and was seeking revenge on Psycho-Man. Give her an everyday off-day like what we go through when even her patience would wear thin and she starts to do some pantsing. Like what she did in Marvel Knights 4.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't think she has traits if a Karen at all. One of the defining traits of a Karen is feelings of entitlement and Sue is not like that.
    I like the idea of her being more likely to swear than expected, but that's more of a character quirk than flaw (quirks and other interesting things are also what she needs).

Taking all of her history into account I think a flaw could be her tendency to bottle things up for the sake of others. She often holds back her own feelings so that she can support others. It makes her a bit of a doormat at times and it can be unhealthy. There is nothing wrong with putting others first at times, but doing it to the point where you often sacrifice your own happiness is not good.

I feel this also leads into another possible flaw that seems to occur often with modern Sue. Her temper. Because she bottles up her emotions, it eventually leads to outbursts of anger and it can be scary. We saw this in Byrne's run after her miscarriage and more recently in X-Men/Fantastic Four where she is quick to anger.

BANNED

capmarv2019018007_col.jpg
    Sue in Captain Marvel (2019) #18

I'm looking forward to Kelly Thompson writing Sue, even if it may be for only two panels.

Honestly, for a long time now I've wondered if Fantastic Four is the best team for Sue. Don't get me wrong, they are her family and she'd never leave them but the team also stunts her growth. FF writers that get the character and give her focus are way too few. Putting Sue on a different team with different dynamics would benefit the character imo. The FF book is giving her nothing and treats her like glorified supporting cast. I'm just tired of it.

Mighty Member

Honestly, for a long time now I've wondered if Fantastic Four is the best team for Sue. Don't get me wrong, they are her family and she'd never leave them but the team also stunts her growth. FF writers that get the character and give her focus are way too few. Putting Sue on a different team with different dynamics would benefit the character imo. The FF book is giving her nothing and treats her like glorified supporting cast. I'm just tired of it.
    I would chalk this up to a blunted supporting cast. We don't see the FF interact much with anyone outside the Fantastic Four and the kids. Occasionally, we'll have Wyatt, Alicia, and Johnny's revolving door love interest, but that tends to be it. Thus all conflict between parties can't be aired out to another character that's not in the family. It's why Slott's move to 4 Yancy Street fails so miserably. They're not cooped up in the Baxter Building, but their lack of supporting cast makes it pointless. Hell, we don't even have names for most of the kids on Yancy Street. What a damn waste.

Larger teams don't have this problem because members of the team can more easily fill the supporting cast roles.

BANNED

Sue was great in Empyre #1, I can easily tell that she was written by Ewing and not Slott.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Maximoff View Post
    Sue was great in Empyre #1, I can easily tell that she was written by Ewing and not Slott.
    My first thought after reading Empyre 1 was, "How come I like the F4 so much more in every book that isn't their own?"

I am ready for another writer to take a crack at the team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    My first thought after reading Empyre 1 was, "How come I like the F4 so much more in every book that isn't their own?"

I am ready for another writer to take a crack at the team.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Can a writer just take her away from the main FF book? I doubt Slott would miss her...