Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    For me it's mainly that I don't find the art appealing. I think it would be better if was a blue outline to show that her powers are encasing her, like Green Lantern's have.

She often flies on a self-propelled force-field shaped like a disc:

Because she can control the movement of her force-fields, she can use them simulate flight without needing a base on the the ground or things like that anymore.
    She can just what she does to the ingredients below, but to herself:

Which is why I liked what happened in the latest X-Men/Fantastic Four issue, it makes sense that she could fly like that with how her powers work. She should be able to levitate herself without the need of platforms or footholds.
    For me it would be weird to see her fly like that. Maybe the art makes it look goofier but it just doesn't fit the characters' visual in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For me it would be weird to see her fly like that. Maybe the art makes it look goofier but it just doesn't fit the characters' visual in my opinion.
    I get your point. The positioning does look goofy and Sue strikes me as someone who would try to avoid looking goofy while doing her thing. But if she's using her fie;ld to support herself and maintaining its overall shape while making sure she can stay attached to it somehow, what position would you try? I don't have any good answers, but this is something I can think about and get some ideas. Little details like foot placeholders keeping her feet locked in place while the field extends all over the place are probably something she uses. Unlike Kitty Pryde, who does something vaguely similar walking on air, Sue can adapt the shape of her fields to lock her feet in place. I'd also bet she's thought about using her field as a parachute is things go wrong. But I think surfing is the easiest position to use for this kind of thing.

Maybe if she did this fly projection while 'invisible' - she could plug into her hyper space powers - going faster than light? Why not? Of course it would seem the amount of concentration would be crucial.

But Sue has always shown, since she started 'evolving' her abilities, that concentration is the key behind all of them.

And maybe that is an ability she always had, and one that Reed always saw in her, even if she was relatively 'uneducated'. But her father was was brilliant surgeon and her mother was possibly a smart person too.

I really enjoy the visual of Sue flying on a force disc. I think it's something visually unique to her. I'm not saying she couldn't or shouldn't fly using different means, but I think it makes her too similar to other heroes visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I really enjoy the visual of Sue flying on a force disc. I think it's something visually unique to her. I'm not saying she couldn't or shouldn't fly using different means, but I think it makes her too similar to other heroes visually.
    Sue's power set is one that has been discussed here and elsewhere many times, sometimes in an interesting fashion. But often the result is a undefined conclusion because we're not sure exactly how they work and writers don't always agree on those details either. But in a group like this discussing and haggling about details is fun. Her "flying" on a disc is indeed a great visual and that visual may be able to impose itself on the "how does she actually do that?" details which most fans don't bother with.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I agree that the disc is more unique, I just like the other method as something that she uses when necessary. Like it would be faster and provides defense when compared to her other method of flying, but because it takes a lot of concentration she only uses it when needed. Something to add to her arsenal instead of replacing her more common method of traversal.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I agree that the disc is more unique, I just like the other method as something that she uses when necessary. Like it would be faster and provides defense when compared to her other method of flying, but because it takes a lot of concentration she only uses it when needed. Something to add to her arsenal instead of replacing her more common method of traversal.
    Totally! She should use it when it makes sense or the need arises. I just wanted to mention that I really like the disc because it firmly distinguishes her from other heroes.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When I first watched the Fantastic Four movie I thought Jessica Alba is too young but apparently she was a student dating her college professor?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    When I first watched the Fantastic Four movie I thought Jessica Alba is too young but apparently she was a student dating her college professor?
    The age difference has changed over the years, but currently it's not that big and he was never her professor as far as I know.

I'm hoping that there will be another Invisible Woman book soon. One with a female writer that really delves into who Sue Storm is as an individual. That's what the character needs the most, she needs to be a fully rounded character and the main book isn't the place that can happen sadly. The current run obviously has no plans for the character and most runs only use her in a very specific way that doesn't lend itself to meaningful development.
    Being on a team other than the Fantastic Four, and not an all-female team, would also be great for Sue. The only time she's on another team from her family shouldn't only be when Marvel is doing one of their brief female teams.

Looking at the complex character thread, I can't put Sue on it and that's a problem. But I could see Reed and Ben being suggested.
    It's a shame how ignored both Sue and Johnny have been in terms of development and complexity.

I'm hoping that there will be another Invisible Woman book soon. One with a female writer that really delves into who Sue Storm is as an individual. That's what the character needs the most, she needs to be a fully rounded character and the main book isn't the place that can happen sadly. The current run obviously has no plans for the character and most runs only use her in a very specific way that doesn't lend itself to meaningful development.
    Being on a team other than the Fantastic Four, and not an all-female team, would also be great for Sue. The only time she's on another team from her family shouldn't only be when Marvel is doing one of their brief female teams.

Looking at the complex character thread, I can't put Sue on it and that's a problem. But I could see Reed and Ben being suggested.
    It's a shame how ignored both Sue and Johnny have been in terms of development and complexity.
    As is so often the case, I agree with you. Reed and Ben have multiple non-FF connections all over the Marvel Universe. Johnny has a few, but Sue really doesn't. Waid did do a nice meeting between Sue and Nick, Jr. but outside of plots that went nowhere, like Sue's group in the Millar run, there isn't much at all. And the Silver Age stuff where Sue and Jan do wedding stuff should be relegated to history. Sue needs a buddy. I'd like to open up the thread asking who would YOU use to be Sue's buddy? It's a platonic relationship so males are possible. And yes, I know a male/female partnership will have sexual tension, but Sue isn't the type to even flirt unless it';s part of a plan.

I have no idea, but that is my homework. Coming up with a buddy for Sue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I mean they first met when 12 year old Sue was crushing on graduate student Reed.

The buddy would have to be Janet Van Dyne.

I’m not sure how in continuity it was, but I remember liking the meeting of Jean and Sue in First Class.
    I think they could be good friends - both long-standing and respected members of the superhero community. And both have met their children from the future, so they’ve got some niche things to bond over.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    I’m not sure how in continuity it was, but I remember liking the meeting of Jean and Sue in First Class.
    I think they could be good friends - both long-standing and respected members of the superhero community. And both have met their children from the future, so they’ve got some niche things to bond over.
    I think the current status quo in X-men ( as seen in X4) prevents that.

Characters I think Sue would get along with/ have an interesting dynamic with:

Monica Rambeau - I think they'd get along and kick ass together
    Gamora - They're personalities could bring out different aspects of the characters
    Songbird - Would be an interesting "bad" friendship. Bringing out an interesting side to Sue
    Living Lightning - He's fun, I want more of him and he'd bring out the fun in Sue
    Vision - I think they'd get along and have interesting dynamic
    Hercules - He'd be chaotic enough that it would bring out different sides to Sue, but not too chaotic that I wouldn't see them hanging out.

Plus new characters created to play off Sue.