Page 108 of 123 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1840

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, I'm disappointed that Colan considered his work on Subby in Tales to Astonish as his least favorite. But it's cool that it was his first work for Marvel!

I believe I meant that Pfeufer was the first guy that made Namor look like a space alien, with the exaggerated triangle head -- which gave Namor the flat head and more the Frankenstein monster look that I think Colan was talking about. Everett did give Namor a long, face with a pointy chin, but he gave alot of his characters that look. Take a look at that first panel. The red headed guy has the same sort of triangular face that Namor does. I think it's more of an elfin look, than a Frankenstein monster's look.
    I think what Colan was describing was a dislike of illustrating certain genre stories, in this case fantasy. As an artist I can fully relate as I would do fantasy and sci-fi all day over street level stories. As much as I love Spider-Man, drawing endless city backgrounds would make me want to eat a bullet. I'd much rather do mysterious and atmospheric environments like in Namor or Dr Strange stories.

As for the triangle head topic, I can see what Thor-El is saying with later Everett work starting to elongate Namor's head, but he still illustrates the hair as hair, it's wavy and round. The truly weird alien looking Namor came with the later artists. I actually quite like this look of Everett's Namor and I feel Alex Ross is referencing this style of Namor for the Invaders homage cover painting he did where the giant Namor is smashing the Nazis. It's different than Ross' usual Namor where he's using the same reference model as his Captain America and Superman.

Mighty Member

Ditch the speedo, Marvel says. No one takes superheroes in speedos seriously they say, even one that lives in the ocean. Meanwhile at DC:

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Gene Colan is one of those artists that is really difficult to define. Often his drawings can look..ugly, for lack of a better word, especially if you're looking for good draftsmanship in terms of like figures and environments etc. Where Colan stands above the rest is with how his drawings feel. Everything is almost alive with movement and wild energy. It's almost as if Colan missed his true calling as an animator. I wouldn't pick out many single Colan drawings of Namor as favourites, the same goes for his Dr Strange and Dracula, but damn do I love seeing those characters come alive through the page when Colan does his thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I think what Colan was describing was a dislike of illustrating certain genre stories, in this case fantasy...
    Yeah, Colan was one of those artists I had to learn to appreciate. It took me some time to realize the lack of crisp and pretty detail was offset by the storytelling in his work. He's absolutely at his best in horror and noir environments, and so, a suboptimal fit for Namor.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Ditch the speedo, Marvel says. No one takes superheroes in speedos seriously they say, even one that lives in the ocean. Meanwhile at DC:
    Yep. Makes zero sense. Also, when are they going to cover up Conan??? Can we get that much attention for Namor in a speedo. I'd be perfectly happy with a couple of ongoing books, several oneshots, omnibus reprints galore, several movies.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Yep. Makes zero sense. Also, when are they going to cover up Conan??? Can we get that much attention for Namor in a speedo. I'd be perfectly happy with a couple of ongoing books, several oneshots, omnibus reprints galore, several movies.
    I want to be Namor's manager getting him all of those books, movies and personal appearances (fee a small percentage, of course!).

Is there any news or rumors of a new Namor book?

I want to see Namor, Namora and Namorita unite!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Is there any news or rumors of a new Namor book?

I want to see Namor, Namora and Namorita unite!
    There doesn't seem to be any indication of Namora or Nita reuniting with Namor in the mini, it's centered around his past younger self with Dorma and Attuma and an older present self. The only thing we know is that the new characters are called Swift Riders.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Namor fanart by Tymane_Drawing on instagram

THE DEFENDERS art by Jorge Molina

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post

I'm going to lay here for a few hours and just absorb the glory of this Molina masterpiece.

I saw last night in a video that this was indeed going to be third cover for the Defenders Omnibus.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

There doesn't seem to be any indication of Namora or Nita reuniting with Namor in the mini, it's centered around his past younger self with Dorma and Attuma and an older present self. The only thing we know is that the new characters are called Swift Riders.
    That makes me sad

But at least Namor will get a mini. Hopefully it leads onto bigger things.

I'm going to lay here for a few hours and just absorb the glory of this Molina masterpiece.

I saw last night in a video that this was indeed going to be third cover for the Defenders Omnibus.
    It's sooo beautiful. I have been looking at it all day. I hope we get more Namor art from this artist in the future.

Namor is by far the prettiest one on the cover!
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Atlanteans and other underwater types, in my mind, must have some residual DNA imprints from either Eternals or Inhumans, which are long-lived variations of course. Would explain why Namor seems eternally young when he either is or is near 100.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Spoilers for Captain Marvel and Atlantis Attacks #4

Ove only showed up at the end of Captain Marvel #23

Namor spoilers:
    has not been dethroned yet, it seems as though it was a bait and switch with the cover since the only thing that happened with Wave was her saving Atlanteans from the dragon again. meanwhile Namor is occupied on the surface, angry about Nguyen's actions, he showed up in Atlantis as his people were praising Wave for her actions. There is also more than one dragon. Nguyen also tried to get Namor on his side.
    end of spoilers

Here's some panels from the comic, trying not to get too spoilery until other's have read it.