Page 19 of 123 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Bottom left...the poofiness of Namor's sleeves (and seriously, what the heck is THAT about in an underwater environment) really draws attention to his lack of pants in that outfit. It also makes his head look oddly small.

It kind of gives the vibe that the outfit was supposed to be a full body outfit, but the tailor screwed up and all the material that was supposed to go into the trousers wound up in the sleeves instead....
    LOL! "We can't finish your outfit, my Prince, because we used all your pants material for your sleeves."

More like Namor flatly refusing to cover his thighs.

I'm sure poofy sleeves go well with ermine trimmed cloaks, UNDERWATER. ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    More like I'm the oldest Namor fan. LOL!

I don't post here very often, but I usually read a couple times a week.

I've enjoyed Namor since the late '60s or more around the time of the cartoon (so mid-'60s). I avidly read and collected his comic stories; I may still have that classic # 1 after Tales/Astonish merged with whatever etc. I was born in '55, so I, too am one of the older fans of Namor.

I'm also the dreary and semi-poetic sort who loves the whole Sue and Namor thing from the earliest issues of FF, but understand it is not cool for me to like that too much.

Other than that, I really look forward to Namor showing up in the Movie universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I don't post here very often, but I usually read a couple times a week.

I've enjoyed Namor since the late '60s or more around the time of the cartoon (so mid-'60s). I avidly read and collected his comic stories; I may still have that classic # 1 after Tales/Astonish merged with whatever etc. I was born in '55, so I, too am one of the older fans of Namor.

I'm also the dreary and semi-poetic sort who loves the whole Sue and Namor thing from the earliest issues of FF, but understand it is not cool for me to like that too much.

Other than that, I really look forward to Namor showing up in the Movie universe.
    Okay, I may have to cede the title to you, Oberon.

The heart wants what the heart wants. Namor and Sue are not my favorite relationship for a variety of reasons (Team Dorma!!!), mainly because I don't think it does Namor any favors. However, alot of people do love the relationship, even from the inappropriate behavior from Namor at the start. Actually, that is going to resonate most, because it draws heavily from the Persephone and Hades myth. And if you view it through that mythic lens, it's arguably a far more interesting and favorable take on their early relationship. But I'm repeating myself, I think.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

So, I see Spider-Woman is not only getting a new ongoing in a few months, but she's also getting like 12 variant covers over various titles. <insert envious rant about Namor's 75th and 80th anniversary being totally ignored and the loooooooooooooooooong drought since Namor's last ongoing>

Anyway, in today's episode of DREAM BIG DARLING, what 12 artists would you pick for 12 variant covers for Namor, if editorial were to treat him to the same?

For inspiration, here's the 12 Spider-Woman covers.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...variant-covers

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...r-jessica-drew
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-05-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Mighty Member

So, I see Spider-Woman is not only getting a new ongoing in a few months, but she's also getting like 12 variant covers over various titles. <insert envious rant about Namor's 75th and 80th anniversary being totally ignored and the loooooooooooooooooong drought since Namor's last ongoing>

Anyway, in today's episode of DREAM BIG DARLING, what 12 artists would you pick for 12 variant covers for Namor, if editorial were to treat him to the same?

1.Ed McGuinness
    2.Ariel Olivetti
    3.Alex Ross
    4.Doug Mahnke
    5.Greg Land
    6.Joe Jusko
    7.Richard Corben
    8.Alan Davis
    9.Alex Horley
    10.Esad Ribic
    11.Stuart Immonen
    12.Simon Bisley

The above would be my pick. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone I would swap for one of those artists but for now that's it. I would add a restriction though. They all need to do an homage to the classic 70's cover for Sub-mariner #1 by John Buscema.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post

12 ARTISTS FOR 12 VARIANT COVERS FOR NAMOR

1.Ed McGuinness
    2.Ariel Olivetti
    3.Alex Ross
    4.Doug Mahnke
    5.Greg Land
    6.Joe Jusko
    7.Richard Corben
    8.Alan Davis
    9.Alex Horley
    10.Esad Ribic
    11.Stuart Immonen
    12.Simon Bisley
    The above would be my pick. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone I would swap for one of those artists but for now that's it. I would add a restriction though. They all need to do an homage to the classic 70's cover for Sub-mariner #1 by John Buscema.

Some heavy hitters there, Thor-El! I wasn't familiar with Alex Horley, so thank you for that addition. He strikes me as someone in the Jeff Jusko / Boris painting style. May have to hunt down some of his work if it has been collected.

Ah, a theme to your variants! Excellent. I had a theme picked out too, but it wasn't artist dependent. Fodder for another post. I can see these artists easily handling the Buscema theme, however.

I'm having a real hard time narrowing my list down to 12. O_O I think I may cheat a bit.

This was incredibly difficult for me to pick from! I still have dozen that I want to add to this list. But I winnowed it down to mostly folks who haven't done a Namor solo cover, who deliver memorable, detailed, designed covers, as opposed to just a pose.

1. Alex Ross
    2. Jae Lee
    3. Russell Dauterman
    4. Mark Brooks
    5. P. Craig Russell
    6. Sana Takeda
    7. Christian Ward
    8. Ladronn
    9. Mukesh Singh
    10. Simone Bianchi
    11. Nick Bradshaw
    12. Javier Garron

EXTRAS
    by artists that have done series of variants but not for Namor!

John Christopher's long overdue (Action Figure) Cover
    Paolo Rivera mural / linked Covers
    Phil Noto retro 1960s or 1940s Cover

I have another list with more DC associated artists.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

More like I'm the oldest Namor fan. LOL!

I can't think of anything to fix it, as far as the Atlantean's acceptance -- mass delusion?? Llyron and the McKenzies can just be Llyra brainwashing them. So, I'm also happy to have Marvel never bring it up again.
    Also don't forget also one of the most beloved Namor fans! And everyone in this thread, I'm very happy to have stumbled in here and found such interesting discussions.

This was incredibly difficult for me to pick from! I still have dozen that I want to add to this list. But I winnowed it down to mostly folks who haven't done a Namor solo cover, who deliver memorable, detailed, designed covers, as opposed to just a pose.

1. Alex Ross
    2. Jae Lee
    3. Russell Dauterman
    4. Mark Brooks
    5. P. Craig Russell
    6. Sana Takeda
    7. Christian Ward
    8. Ladronn
    9. Mukesh Singh
    10. Simone Bianchi
    11. Nick Bradshaw
    12. Javier Garron

EXTRAS
    by artists that have done series of variants but not for Namor!

John Christopher's long overdue (Action Figure) Cover
    Paolo Rivera mural / linked Covers
    Phil Noto retro 1960s or 1940s Cover

I have another list with more DC associated artists.
    Very cool choices! I will need to think on mine a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I think it would be cool to have them do not only that iconic cover but other stand out covers as well! Maybe even someone doing something as tribute to Bill Everett's work.
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 02-05-2020 at 08:25 PM.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Just wanted to share this updated fan art I had made by Ecairnsart, this time with colors!

1. Alex Ross
    2. Frank Miller
    3. Adam Hughes
    4. Joe Madureira
    5. J. Scott Campbell
    6. Erik Larsen
    7. Kevin Maguire
    8. Frank Quitely
    9. Kenneth Rocafort
    10. Ivan Reis
    11. Leinil Francis Yu
    12. Milo Manara

^^^Here are my choices, Reviresco. I hope they're alright with you.

Ok, so my choice of 12 artists for the Namor solo comic that I'm sure must be coming soon (LET ME DREAM) are:

1. Kris Anka (one of the biggest Namor fans around, I would love interiors by him too!)
    2. Jae Lee (Gotta have a Lee cover, since he worked on the 90s and the 2010 series, its like a tradition by now!)
    3. Becky Cloonan (I would love interiors form her as well, and I don't think she's ever done Namor outside of some sketches so it would be interesting to see)
    4. Joshua Middleton (Dc artist who did this wonderful cover for Aquaman, I love the way he makes things underwater look)
    5. Nick Robles (He did this beautiful Namor piece once for fun and it would be great to see more of his work, and Kris Anka commented on it. Robles is a big Nightcrawler fan)
    6. Chris Samnee
    7. Alex Ross (No list is complete without him!)
    8. Simone Bianchi
    9. Esad Ribić
    10. Marko Djurdjevic
    11. Skottie Young (We need a tiny Namor!)
    12. Gabriele Dell’Otto

This list is way harder than I thought it would be! I still have lots more faves but this would be my first choices. Also I would love to see covers doing tributes to: Bill Everett, John Buscema, Marie Severin, and Jack Kirby's work from the past where they featured Namor on their covers/art.

You own the title because you worked the hardest, for the longest, to get Namor more respect. Certainly others did too, but you deserve the title.

Happy 30th anniversary to the 90s Namor run which was released Feb 6, 1990! Someone pointed it out to me today that 30 years have passed since the last long running Namor solo comic. Hopefully we don't have to wait another 30 years for one!

More Ed Mcguinness Namor here!

Holy cow. Look at those guns! Thor-El is going to be so happy.