Page 26 of 123 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    There was a Marvel -Team Up issue in the 90s with Spider-Man, but I'm thinking it was Peter Parker. Plus, the art was ... less than good, IMO.
    Understandable. But speaking as a huge Pat Olliffe fan, I thought Olliffe's artwork was fine (along with the covers where Namor made an appearance):

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-20-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Understandable. Speaking as a huge Pat Olliffe fan, I thought Olliffe's artwork was fine (along with the covers where Namor made an appearance):

I didn't know about these Namor Team-Ups!

The cover art looks good. Were the stories and interior artwork likewise good?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

The cover art was much better.

The interior art was... serviceable.

Your mileage may vary, however.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Understandable. Speaking as a huge Pat Olliffe fan, I thought Olliffe's artwork was fine (along with the covers where Namor made an appearance):

Olliffe only did the interior art for one of those issues, and the cover for #11, I believe. His art was fine, IIRC. I was thinking of the interior art for #6 and #8, which was by Josh Hood. The faces looked like they were rubbery and melting.

The covers, indeed, were solid, done early in the career of some well known names. The Spider-Man cover was done by Bernard Chang, the Doc Strange one was done by Phil Jimenez, the Thing was done by one of the Kuberts, and Olliffe did the Iron Man one.

The cover art was much better.

The interior art was... serviceable.

Your mileage may vary, however. ; )
    I agree. Except for Hood's interiors, which I didn't care for.

The chief thing I took away from these appearances, was the appearance of one of Namor's worst costumes ever. That is, Captain Atlantis. You can't tell me Steve Rogers didn't do that on purpose. ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    That's the only way we ever Namor in anything, and the thing is over the years I have seen many writers or others wanting to write a Namor solo but its the Powers that Be who won't do it. I recall there was this art of Namor with Avengers characters for a discarded Namor solo idea. Honestly even with a writer with pull we might not even get anything, Zdarsky had some pull and his Daredevil series was a huge hit over the last year but Marvel still didn't renew any more Invaders, which as we all know in the first place should have been a Namor ongoing solo but Chip was shot down for the solo. *sighs* I really hope we get a Namor solo someday soon. I'm still pretty salty that Marvel totally ignored his 80th year. >
    Exactly. It's very depressing.

I always wondered why this series was never done. Art by Alan Weiss

Ask Jim Shooter or Alan Weiss, if you see either at a con, or if either is on Twitter. IIRC, there was an ad / announcement that Shooter was writing that Subby book. However, when asked, Shooter didn't seem to know much / remember much about it. He acted like maybe it was all Weiss idea and Weiss didn't come thru?

It's really frustrating and tragic for Namor fans, as I think if Marvel had given Namor another ongoing, relatively quickly after the cancellation of his series -- like a couple of years -- that he'd be far more popular and far more of a mainstay of the MU. Hulk and Doctor Strange and the X-Men were all given a second chance, while other books, like Cap and DD were given co-stars for their books. Had Namor had an ongoing of his own in the late 70s / 80s (which the Shooter / Weiss book would have debuted), I think he'd be far more popular with writers and editors today.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

For the past two days I've been reading live on Instagram Bill Everett Sub-mariner from Marvel Comics from 1939 and Journey into Mystery starting with #83. I've been doing it late at night at around 11:00 Eastern time. I'm casting the comics on my big sceen TV and recording on my phone live as I read. Some of my followers have joined me but it would be great to have some hard core Sub-mariner fans from this board join too and comment as we go along. Leaving the link here in case anyone wants to join. Tonight more chaos as Namor continues terrorizing New York in the third Namor story with the introduction of Betty Dean. And in JIM 85 Thor faces Loki for the first time and the introduction of the Norse gods of Asgard. https://www.instagram.com/simonwm_17/

Mighty Member

This looks cool, just not too happy about that costume and the flesh color that makes it looks like mesh.

Last edited by Thor-El; 02-20-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This looks cool, just not too happy about that costume and the flesh color that makes it looks like mesh.

Yeah, I see what you mean---they look like "fish"nets---pardon the pun, Namor!

But at least the Serpent Crown is involved----I like that evil old artifact, lol!

I would say that I can't believe Conan thinks he is just going to dive down to sunken Atlantis in his loincloth and take on Namor ... but {insert Ka-Zar rant}.

And yes, it's that sort of coloring that makes people think Namor is wearing fishnets.

Yeah, I see what you mean---they look like "fish"nets---pardon the pun, Namor!

But at least the Serpent Crown is involved----I like that evil old artifact, lol!
    And the Serpent Crown was yet another Namor dangling plotline, this time from the Zdarsky Invaders book. Machan had Namor wearing it for a while. We didn't get to see what happened to it once Machan possessed Roman. It's a pretty powerful artifact to just be left hanging, so hopefully this mini-series address that.

Here's the solicitation:

CONAN: BATTLE FOR THE SERPENT CROWN #4 (OF 5)
    SALADIN AHMED (W) • LUKE ROSS (A) • Cover by Mahmud Asrar
    VARIANT COVER BY Eduard Petrovich
    VARIANT COVER BY Philip Tan
    IN TOO DEEP!
    • The SERPENT CROWN's roots in the Pre-Cataclysmic Age lead CONAN back to where it all started…
    • …but ATLANTIS is not quite what it once was.
    • And even if he can locate the Crown, NAMOR isn't going to let that treasure slip through his grasp!
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

For the past two days I've been reading live on Instagram Bill Everett Sub-mariner from Marvel Comics from 1939 and Journey into Mystery starting with #83. I've been doing it late at night at around 11:00 Eastern time. I'm casting the comics on my big sceen TV and recording on my phone live as I read. Some of my followers have joined me but it would be great to have some hard core Sub-mariner fans from this board join too and comment as we go along. Leaving the link here in case anyone wants to join. Tonight more chaos as Namor continues terrorizing New York in the third Namor story with the introduction of Betty Dean. And in JIM 85 Thor faces Loki for the first time and the introduction of the Norse gods of Asgard. https://www.instagram.com/simonwm_17/
    So, are you reading it aloud?

It sounds fun, and I'd show up, but the link /account is private. I NEED work on my social media accounts.

I always wondered why this series was never done. Art by Alan Weiss

Well, speak of the devil ... in May's solicitations

MARVEL #3 (of 6)
    ALEX ROSS, STEVE DARNALL, ALAN WEISS, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, SCOTT GUSTAFSON, RYAN HESHKA (W)
    ALEX ROSS, ALAN WEISS, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, SCOTT GUSTAFSON, RYAN HESHKA (A)
    Cover by ALEX ROSS
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    A quartet of visions of life throughout the Marvel Universe, curated by Alex Ross! Alan Weiss presents a lost tale of Namor the Sub-Mariner! The techno-organic Warlock lives again in a story by Bill Sienkiewicz! Scott Gustafson presents a look into the life of Rocket Raccoon! And the Golden Age Black Widow chooses a mate in a story by Ryan Heshka! All wrapped in an epic ongoing adventure by Alex Ross and Steve Darnall!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

Could it be we'll actually see this story? If so, it will be ... interesting, if it is the same story. I think it had Namor dressed up like Popeye and in a bar fight. LOL!

The variant cover for Marvels 1.

THE MARVELS #1
    KURT BUSIEK (W) • YILDIRAY CINAR (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS
    Variant cover by CARLOS PACHECO
    Variant cover by STEVE EPTING
    VARIANT COVER BY BILL SIENKIEWICZ
    ALL-NEW, ONGOING SERIES!
    Kurt Busiek (MARVELS, Astro City) is back, with the biggest, wildest, most sprawling series ever to hit the Marvel Universe, telling stories that span the decades and range from cosmic adventure to intense human drama, from the street-level to the cosmic, starring literally anyone from Marvel's very first heroes to the superstars of tomorrow. This first issue includes an invasion from orbit, a picnic in Prospect Park, super hero sightseeing in Manhattan, the All-Winners Squad in 1947, Reed Richards during his time in military intelligence, cosmic beings beyond space and time— and that's only for starters. Featuring Captain America, Spider-Man, the Punisher, the Human Torch, Storm, the Black Cat, the Golden Age Vision, Aero, Iron Man and Thor, and introducing two brand-new characters, all beautifully drawn by Yildiray Cinar (X-MEN, Legion of Super-Heroes, IRON MAN) in the opening act of a thriller that'll take us across the Marvel Universe…and beyond. Plus: Who (or what) is KSHOOM? It all starts here. And it goes…everywhere.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

And the conclusion of Atlantis Attacks.

ATLANTIS ATTACKS #5 (of 5)
    GREG PAK (W) • ARIO ANINDITO (A)
    COVER BY ARIO ANINDITO
    Variant by CARLO PAGULAYAN
    TRAGEDY AND TRIUMPH!
    • As the clash between the ATLANTEANS, the SIRENAS and the interdimensional PAN reaches its terrible climax, an empire will triumph and an empire will fall!
    • But you might be shocked to find out which of our heroes and villains ends up where! Will AMADEUS step up to JIMMY WOO'S challenge and lead both AGENTS OF ATLAS teams toward power and glory in this new world? Or will the dream of communities united in the PORTAL CITY OF PAN all come crashing down?
    • Who will wear the crown? Whose word and heart will break? The fate of Atlas and the world hangs in the balance!
    32 PGS./Rated T+…$3.99

Not filled with confidence on this.

Mighty Member

So, are you reading it aloud?

It sounds fun, and I'd show up, but the link /account is private. I NEED work on my social media accounts.
    I am and commenting on the artwork, story, etc. I had the account on public but then Google and a bunch of other sites appropriate my photos without my permission so I prefer to keep it on private which prevents this. It would be awesome to have you, just request to follow and I'll accept.

Mighty Member

I would say that I can't believe Conan thinks he is just going to dive down to sunken Atlantis in his loincloth and take on Namor ... but {insert Ka-Zar rant}.

And yes, it's that sort of coloring that makes people think Namor is wearing fishnets.
    I had written a big rant about this exactly and deleted it. I want to see how the story pans out before I start complaining, trying to be fair. But Conan shouldn't be able to do nothing against Namor even less under water.