Page 62 of 123 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

First off, Thor-El, that cosplay does you credit! Huge respect.

I'm not as a big a fan of Namor as the rest of you, but I do respect the character, and you all have stuck to him through thick and thin.

Front and center.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Namor has always been one of my favorite characters, since the old '60s cartoon. But I've woefully not quite kept up with all the volumes, appearances, etc over the years. So I glean stuff from forums like this.

But. . . I've never stopped buying and reading Fantastic Four, since at least circa 1970 or so. May not have all the appearances, annuals etc but every regular volume/issue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

I'm not as a big a fan of Namor as the rest of you, but I do respect the character, and you all have stuck to him through thick and thin.

Front and center.
    Thanks Ravin' Ray, really appreciated!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Hmm... it seems that according to X-Men Grand Design (2018) by Ed Piskor, a big fuel source towards the irrational fear of mutants in the Marvel Universe came about because of Namor.

Sure, blame Namor. ;p

The Grand Design books aren't in continuity. They are kind of an artist's head canon. A way for them to slot everything into their interpretation of Marvel's continuity. The Namor panels are not the only ones that are not correct.

Although, one of these Grand Designs, IIRC, had a nice Superman homage with Namor, which is entirely appropriate, since the Ultraman of the Deep was created as an answer to DC's Superman.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Sure, blame Namor. ;p

The Grand Design books aren't in continuity. They are kind of an artist's head canon. A way for them to slot everything into their interpretation of Marvel's continuity. The Namor panels are not the only ones that are not correct.

Although, one of these Grand Designs, IIRC, had a nice Superman homage with Namor, which is entirely appropriate, since the Ultraman of the Deep was created as an answer to DC's Superman.
    Ah, we need a scan of that one!

Mighty Member

NAMOR WEEK 2020

DAY 2
    - Team Up Pick your favorite Namor Team Up, since he’s been on so many teams there’s lots to choose from: Defenders, Invaders, Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men, Cabal, or do a team up you would like to see happen!
    I missed commenting on this great post. If I had my pick I would say The Avengers although I agree The Invaders is probably the team that makes the most sense for Namor. I'd like to see Namor in The Avengers because it would surely give him more exposure and I thought he worked great in the team when Roger Stern was writing the book. Also I want to see Namor as a full fledged superhero and the world recognizing him as such. My roster would be the big three plus Hulk and Namor and if I had my say those would be the Big Five. And please ignore Wolverine in that picture, he surely wouldn't be in my roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Ha, ha! Thank you guys! Most of the videos I've been putting on Instagram in anticipation for Con season. Such good memories and so much planning scrapped this year. I went with my nephew last year cause my daughter is not into cons or comics. She likes to watch anime though. It was good my nephew happened to be in the Con because I wasn't by myself walking around as Namor as it was the first day, a Friday and a character not everyone recognizes. Some would say Aquaman, I guess because of the trident and being shirtless and that's the only aquatic hero with a movie, of course. Once in awhile I was surprised to get some people to say Namor and congratulate me on the cosplay, which was nice. The two other days as Thor and Bane went easier as everybody knew the characters.

I don't know how long the social distancing is going to impact these events but we will see. Thanks to both of you Phoenixx9 and Reviresco, to me you are the heart and soul of this board and your words of approval and encouragement mean a lot. : D
    That's kind, but you've kept us going quite a few times, Thor-El! Plus, you are the only one of to cosplay Namor!

I would think folks who read comics would immediately recognize Namor. The movie fans, perhaps not.

Hopefully things will be back on track for cons next year. Everyone definitely needs that sort of fun after this year.

This belongs here. Namor Talk by blogger J-Man.

Plus the guy created this:

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    It's really refreshing to see someone out there making vids about Namor.
    Those are awesome! I need to make some of those. I'll have to take a look at the video tonight after work. Thanks for posting these!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Front and center.
    A very nice cover! And exactly where Namor belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Namor has always been one of my favorite characters, since the old '60s cartoon. But I've woefully not quite kept up with all the volumes, appearances, etc over the years. So I glean stuff from forums like this.

But. . . I've never stopped buying and reading Fantastic Four, since at least circa 1970 or so. May not have all the appearances, annuals etc but every regular volume/issue.
    There are so many guest appearances. SO MANY.

Yep, FF has always been a favorite of mine. Which is why I was disappointed with their return under Slott. I hope we can get someone of Hickman's imagination and writing skills on the book soon.

And Namor being associated with the FF actually saved him from an ignominious death back in the 80s, IIRC.

Ah, we need a scan of that one!
    I'm pretty sure it was in X-Men Grand Design. The FF Grand Design has plenty of Namor, but those are mostly Kirby panels.

Front and center.
    Is this a New Official Marvel Handbook?? I have not seen this before.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Is this a New Official Marvel Handbook?? I have not seen this before.
    No, it's the Update (2007) #3. It's in the list of series at marvel.com.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I missed commenting on this great post. If I had my pick I would say The Avengers although I agree The Invaders is probably the team that makes the most sense for Namor. I'd like to see Namor in The Avengers because it would surely give him more exposure and I thought he worked great in the team when Roger Stern was writing the book. Also I want to see Namor as a full fledged superhero and the world recognizing him as such. My roster would be the big three plus Hulk and Namor and if I had my say those would be the Big Five. And please ignore Wolverine in that picture, he surely wouldn't be in my roster.

LOL! Ignore Wolverine. hehehehehe

I do love Roger Stern's Avengers. Some high quality Namor in that run.

I'm not going to say it isn't going to happen, but I think Marvel has some work to do with Namor as far as his relationship with the surface world ... and vice versa. I think it would be cool if Namor could convince more heroes about the climate and environmental crisis. That would be a good start / way to show that the character is more than just an adversary, IMO.

Mighty Member

LOL! Ignore Wolverine. hehehehehe

I do love Roger Stern's Avengers. Some high quality Namor in that run.

I'm not going to say it isn't going to happen, but I think Marvel has some work to do with Namor as far as his relationship with the surface world ... and vice versa. I think it would be cool if Namor could convince more heroes about the climate and environmental crisis. That would be a good start / way to show that the character is more than just an adversary, IMO.
    Marvel always reflects what happens in the real world. This pandemic we are living that has everyone locked down in a way is mother earth healing. Perhaps the planet is telling us either you stop, or I'll stop you. Its not a coincidence you see pollution going down, and whales coming back to places they used to never come before this started. This is a perfect time to push Namor to the forefront.

Speaking of a ... more sympathetic view of Namor the environmentalist. I found this coolness on twitter.

Greetings, mighty Namor! Seismometer Namor the Submariner, named by the students of Glenstal Abbey School, Murroe, Co Limerick (teacher: Cathal Reid) is recovered at sunset.

https://twitter.com/SEA_SEIS/status/...864216064?s=20

It's a seismometer that has been sitting on the floor of the North Atlantic off the coast of Ireland, taking readings! It's part of "SEA-SEIS: Structure, Evolution and Seismicity of the Irish offshore. A research project that deployed broadband OBSs across a vast area in the North Atlantic." They were all named by Italian and Irish school kids the research project had video links / classes with. Obviously they have some cool school kids in Ireland.

Here's a map of where Namor the Seismometer was stationed.

Marvel always reflects what happens in the real world. This pandemic we are living that has everyone locked down in a way is mother earth healing. Perhaps the planet is telling us either you stop, or I'll stop you. Its not a coincidence you see pollution going down, and whales coming back to places they used to never come before this started. This is a perfect time to push Namor to the forefront.
    It does seem that way. The pictures they show of before and after regarding the pollution were amazing!

And yes! What with climate change and some other things happening, I don't know why they don't push that side of Namor's mythos.