Page 27 of 123 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This looks cool, just not too happy about that costume and the flesh color that makes it looks like mesh.
    Honestly, I prefer the mesh/fishnet look to the pants. To me, it made the costume seem like a compromise between the fans who wanted to see a return to the classic speedo look and the current Marvel attitude of "he MUST wear pants!". The fishnets let him be wearing pants, while still baring a bit more skin again.

I know its actually supposed to be another sort of fish scale material, which at least fits Namor's theme...but not every artist/colourist pulls that look off effectively. With some of them it just looks like a strip of textured yellow fabric down the side of the pants...which ends of making the outfit look silly, imo. I find the fishnet preferable, and honestly more in-character to Namor's classic outfits.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, speak of the devil ... in May's solicitations

MARVEL #3 (of 6)
    ALEX ROSS, STEVE DARNALL, ALAN WEISS, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, SCOTT GUSTAFSON, RYAN HESHKA (W)
    ALEX ROSS, ALAN WEISS, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, SCOTT GUSTAFSON, RYAN HESHKA (A)
    Cover by ALEX ROSS
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    A quartet of visions of life throughout the Marvel Universe, curated by Alex Ross! Alan Weiss presents a lost tale of Namor the Sub-Mariner! The techno-organic Warlock lives again in a story by Bill Sienkiewicz! Scott Gustafson presents a look into the life of Rocket Raccoon! And the Golden Age Black Widow chooses a mate in a story by Ryan Heshka! All wrapped in an epic ongoing adventure by Alex Ross and Steve Darnall!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

Could it be we'll actually see this story? If so, it will be ... interesting, if it is the same story. I think it had Namor dressed up like Popeye and in a bar fight. LOL!
    Popeye?! very interesting, lol. Well I see me invoking his name has brought something about, now excuse me I need to put my powers to good use and try to get us a Namor solo.

I had written a big rant about this exactly and deleted it. I want to see how the story pans out before I start complaining, trying to be fair. But Conan shouldn't be able to do nothing against Namor even less under water.
    If Conan beats Namor in the water, even tho I like the writer, I am gonna chew glass, seriously Namor being beaten on land is one thing but he is supposed to be the strongest in the water!

Also not to spoil anything but this line right here does not make me optimistic about Atlantis not being destroyed again by the end of Atlantis Attacks, since I believe Conan takes place after that.

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

The Sub-Mariner fighting in World War II (Marvel Mystery Comics #13, November 1940). Art by Bill Everett.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    The Sub-Mariner fighting in World War II (Marvel Mystery Comics #13, November 1940). Art by Bill Everett.
    Okay. I take it back. Captain Atlantis is the SECOND worst costume for Namor.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Popeye?! very interesting, lol. Well I see me invoking his name has brought something about, now excuse me I need to put my powers to good use and try to get us a Namor solo. : p
    Yes, indeed! Get right on that with your super-powers, please!

I think it was the bar fight and the hat that made me think of Popeye. From Don Hudson's blog.

http://dchudson.blogspot.com/2007/06...lan-weiss.html

Last edited by Reviresco; 02-21-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

I'm picking this one up. Alan Weiss was a very good penciler, hope they match him with a good inker.

Has anyone ever seen the interior of this book? Wondering who did the artwork.

Yes, indeed! Get right on that with your super-powers, please!

I think it was the bar fight and the hat that made me think of Popeye. From Don Hudson's blog.

http://dchudson.blogspot.com/2007/06...lan-weiss.html

I AM SO MAD, I HAVE NEVER FELT MORE FURIOUS, HOW DARE THEY DEPRIVE ME OF THIS COMIC? AHHH my heart, look at his SMILE. Rev you have officially ruined me forever, I have never seen this before and now this is the only thing I will be thinking about till the end of time.
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 02-21-2020 at 09:36 PM.

I'm picking this one up. Alan Weiss was a very good penciler, hope they match him with a good inker.
    Well, these are old pages from the 1980s. I'm not sure if this is the story that will be in the Alex Ross Marvels book. However ... seems likely to me.

I AM SO MAD, I HAVE NEVER FELT MORE FURIOUS, HOW DARE THEY DEPRIVE ME OF THIS COMIC? AHHH my heart, look at his SMILE. Rev you have officially ruined me forever, I have never seen this before and now this is the only thing I will be thinking about till the end of time.
    Well, glad to brighten your day.

I think I also got the idea of Popeye by that note on the bottom of the page that said, "A pointy eared sailor at the bar." LOL!

But we MIGHT be getting exactly this 5 page comic in that Alex Ross Marvel book. It wouldn't be the first time that Marvel has pulled some unpublished piece with Namor out of the drawer. There was that Mark Bagley / Fabian Nic Defenders story that was completely drawn, but not scripted, which Busiek, IIRC, had to basically write the script just based off the art. And wasn't that Al Williamson story in the 70th Anniversary Subby issue one from the vault?

Anyway, seeing this again, it just makes the whole question of Namor's proposed ongoing series even more muddy, since this says Avengers as the title at the top of the page. However, there was a Marvel Age type article that said Shooter was working on a Namor ongoing with Alan Weiss. I'll have to see if I can dig up that article. Maybe this was a trial run for the Namor ongoing? It would be great if we could get clarification from either creator.

Has anyone ever seen the interior of this book? Wondering who did the artwork.
    The cover artist, Richard Howell, also does the interiors. I don't have this book, but here's a few panels from SuperMegaMonkey.

This one seems like a ... homage to the famous Kirby panel o' dolphins.

Last edited by Reviresco; 02-21-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Well, these are old pages from the 1980s. I'm not sure if this is the story that will be in the Alex Ross Marvels book. However ... seems likely to me.

Well, glad to brighten your day.

I think I also got the idea of Popeye by that note on the bottom of the page that said, "A pointy eared sailor at the bar." LOL!

But we MIGHT be getting exactly this 5 page comic in that Alex Ross Marvel book. It wouldn't be the first time that Marvel has pulled some unpublished piece with Namor out of the drawer. There was that Mark Bagley / Fabian Nic Defenders story that was completely drawn, but not scripted, which Busiek, IIRC, had to basically write the script just based off the art. And wasn't that Al Williamson story in the 70th Anniversary Subby issue one from the vault?

Anyway, seeing this again, it just makes the whole question of Namor's proposed ongoing series even more muddy, since this says Avengers as the title at the top of the page. However, there was a Marvel Age type article that said Shooter was working on a Namor ongoing with Alan Weiss. I'll have to see if I can dig up that article. Maybe this was a trial run for the Namor ongoing? It would be great if we could get clarification from either creator.
    They way the comic seemed to end, and from what I could tell from the last unfinished scene with the woman, Namor was there looking for information, once he got it he went back to the oceans, my guess was that this could have been an avengers comic featuring something going on in Atlantis? Anyways I was very pleased with this art today, so thank you for sharing!

Happy Birthday to the King of the Seas!

Happy Birthday to the King of the Seas!

How time flies!

Happy First Birthday to our beloved Prince!

I will have to dig out the athena-i's amazing food celebrations.

This looks cool, just not too happy about that costume and the flesh color that makes it looks like mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Honestly, I prefer the mesh/fishnet look to the pants. To me, it made the costume seem like a compromise between the fans who wanted to see a return to the classic speedo look and the current Marvel attitude of "he MUST wear pants!". The fishnets let him be wearing pants, while still baring a bit more skin again.

I know its actually supposed to be another sort of fish scale material, which at least fits Namor's theme...but not every artist/colourist pulls that look off effectively. With some of them it just looks like a strip of textured yellow fabric down the side of the pants...which ends of making the outfit look silly, imo. I find the fishnet preferable, and honestly more in-character to Namor's classic outfits.
    I know I'm preaching to the choir, but ...

Like most compromises, I think it leaves neither side happy. If the alleged purpose of the pants is to "take Namor seriously" then putting him in fishnets pretty much negates that purpose. I'm not fond of either the fishnets and the yellow stripped pants. The black 'armor' kind of annoys me, but if they made it the uniform of the Atlantean warriors, I'd feel better about it, even though it is the most useless armor I've seen in my life. However, when he isn't fighting, then we should have Namor in his glorious speedo!

The whole Marvel edict of "MUST wear pants" is beyond tedious. The character lives in the OCEAN! You don't see any Olympic swimmers wearing pants. I think everyone in that faction should be required to go to the beach and swimming pools in long pants for the rest of their lives.