Page 89 of 123 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1840
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I scanned it at the shop. Namor did NOT show up, so don't bother, unless you are interested in Conan.
    Thank you, Rev. What a waste of a good character all these appearances. So Namor was just sent to the desert and that's it, shows you how much the writer and editor care about Namor. Couldn't they have thought about other obstacle for Conan than pitching him against a hero that should be totally out of his league, specially under water. Any Atlantean guard would have suffice to fulfill that little cameo if he just wanted to show how resourceful Conan is without hurting Namor's fanbase by having Namor be almost matched in a fight with a freaking human barbarian!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Thank you, Rev. What a waste of a good character all these appearances. So Namor was just sent to the desert and that's it, shows you how much the writer and editor care about Namor. Couldn't they have thought about other obstacle for Conan than pitching him against a hero that should be totally out of his league, specially under water. Any Atlantean guard would have suffice to fulfill that little cameo if he just wanted to show how resourceful Conan is without hurting Namor's fanbase by having Namor be almost matched in a fight with a freaking human barbarian!
    Exactly. Atlantean Guard Red Shirt #1 could have handled it.

There was SO much more they could have done with Conan and Namor and the Atlantis connection. They could have done the whole mini-series about that.

I pretty much tossed #5, when I saw Imus Champion slapping Conan around easily, after that nonsense we saw last issue of Namor having a tough time with Conan UNDERWATER. No thank you.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    IT'S WHAT HE DESERVES!!! Finally! I'm very excited to have this horrible year end on a good note and everything looks amazing. I do hope that Weiss story is included because I have been looking forward to it.
    Yes it is! LONG over due. And still not sufficient. We really should have gotten something specific for Namor to celebrate his 80th anniversary. I mean, unbelievably, they are giving Conan an anniversary issue! The character hasn't been part of Marvel for what, 25 years?!?! Meanwhile, it's Namor who? at Marvel editorial for any sort of anniversary issue or covers.

As for this Marvel #3 issue ... that WAS the issue that was supposed to have the Alan Weiss story. Here's the original May solicit. It is completely different. I think there's a mistake here. I mean, why have the Alan Weiss cover on an issue that doesn't feature his story???

MARVEL #3 (of 6)
    ALEX ROSS, STEVE DARNALL, ALAN WEISS, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, SCOTT GUSTAFSON, RYAN HESHKA (W)
    ALEX ROSS, ALAN WEISS, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, SCOTT GUSTAFSON, RYAN HESHKA (A)
    Cover by ALEX ROSS
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    A quartet of visions of life throughout the Marvel Universe, curated by Alex Ross! Alan Weiss presents a lost tale of Namor the Sub-Mariner! The techno-organic Warlock lives again in a story by Bill Sienkiewicz! Scott Gustafson presents a look into the life of Rocket Raccoon! And the Golden Age Black Widow chooses a mate in a story by Ryan Heshka! All wrapped in an epic ongoing adventure by Alex Ross and Steve Darnall!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

IT'S WHAT HE DESERVES!!! Finally! I'm very excited to have this horrible year end on a good note and everything looks amazing. I do hope that Weiss story is included because I have been looking forward to it.
    It's great to see that Namor is getting some respect. He's one of the small group of Golden Age characters still around. I almost forgot about Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat whose sort of a semi regular in the new Iron Man relaunch.

Even though I agree with you guys that Namor and the Phoenix can't be a good thing but it looks good to see Namor on an Avengers cover. I just wish they would put him on the team again.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Yes it is! LONG over due. And still not sufficient. We really should have gotten something specific for Namor to celebrate his 80th anniversary. I mean, unbelievably, they are giving Conan an anniversary issue! The character hasn't been part of Marvel for what, 25 years?!?! Meanwhile, it's Namor who? at Marvel editorial for any sort of anniversary issue or covers.

As for this Marvel #3 issue ... that WAS the issue that was supposed to have the Alan Weiss story. Here's the original May solicit. It is completely different. I think there's a mistake here. I mean, why have the Alan Weiss cover on an issue that doesn't feature his story???
    I was soooo mad about that! When I saw them celebrating Conan I was just so upset because hello??? WHAT ABOUT NAMOR AND MARVEL'S 80TH? Like he was there when before Marvel and was there at the beginning! During the 70th anniversary he was treated so much better and honestly I blame the EiC for sidelining Namor's 80th and promoting mcu included characters. Not even one, ONE, anniversary comic. Conan wasn't even originally from Marvel iirc, he was bought into Marvel meanwhile Namor has been there since day one. ugh. I will always be bitter about them ignoring Namor on his big 80th.

I really can't wait for the Alan Weiss story!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's great to see that Namor is getting some respect. He's one of the small group of Golden Age characters still around. I almost forgot about Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat whose sort of a semi regular in the new Iron Man relaunch.

Even though I agree with you guys that Namor and the Phoenix can't be a good thing but it looks good to see Namor on an Avengers cover. I just wish they would put him on the team again.
    I guess we will see what happens when the Avengers comic comes but as others have said it def does not look good right now ):
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

Exactly. Atlantean Guard Red Shirt #1 could have handled it.

There was SO much more they could have done with Conan and Namor and the Atlantis connection. They could have done the whole mini-series about that.

I pretty much tossed #5, when I saw Imus Champion slapping Conan around easily, after that nonsense we saw last issue of Namor having a tough time with Conan UNDERWATER. No thank you.
    To me that was salt on a wound as Conan is the character that took away John Buscema from the Sub-mariner title in the 60's. At least we have the iconic first issue with that epic cover and the few issues Buscema penciled. I'm reading Tales to Astonish and I have to say I'm enjoying the artwork tremendously. Colan to me is almost as good to have as penciler as Big Buscema. And the Sub-mariner of Colan and Colletta doesn't have anything lithe about him, he is a thicc muscly mofo that would have ran circles around Conan and bitchslap him like there is no tomorrow without Conan even knowing what hit him.

I love those so much. Its exactly what i want out of a Namor series.

I'm expecting way too much out of the Kurt Busiek mini series. But he did so good on the DH Conan. I wish he could be let loose to do something similar here.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Gene Colan and John Buscema are the two golden age artists that did the best Namor IMO. It's too bad that Tom Palmer wasn't inking Colan on that. IMO he enhances any artist he works with.

Mighty Member

Gene Colan and John Buscema are the two golden age artists that did the best Namor IMO. It's too bad that Tom Palmer wasn't inking Colan on that. IMO he enhances any artist he works with.
    The Tom Palmer of the Silver Age that inked Avengers and was perfection over Big John was so different from the one that worked on Avengers in the mid 80d when Nsmor became an Avenger. I dont know if it was that Buscema wasn't doing full pencils but I always found his inks were sometimes too overpowering during that period. It was still better than most comics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post

I'm expecting way too much out of the Kurt Busiek mini series. But he did so good on the DH Conan. .
    Oh that would be awesome!!!!

In agreement with you about Namor being a member of the Avengers.
    I remember reading about it in Avengers #262 during the '80s.
    Truly a momentous occasion that I'll always treasure...

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-19-2020 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Preferably AFTER Aaron's run. His writing of Namor has been superficial, at best and he's already shown he has no problem jobbing characters to pump up his favorites. Though, IIRC, he did have a Namor as one of the Pre-historic Avengers originally, but nothing ever came of that. Just like Aaron had Namor on his War of Realms splash page plan, but we got nothing. Which may be a good thing.

I'm not sure it's exactly respect, but it's nice to see Marvel actually remember Namor and Atlantis exist, and hopefully for a positive purpose. Still not sure about tying the Atlanteans into the Knull event, but I'm going to enjoy the heck out of the period story by Kurt Busiek that will fill out Namor and Atlantis' history.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Now THAT was a great and fun writing of Namor. But then again, that was the great Roger Stern.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 09-19-2020 at 07:36 AM.

I was soooo mad about that! When I saw them celebrating Conan I was just so upset because hello??? WHAT ABOUT NAMOR AND MARVEL'S 80TH? Like he was there when before Marvel and was there at the beginning! During the 70th anniversary he was treated so much better and honestly I blame the EiC for sidelining Namor's 80th and promoting mcu included characters. Not even one, ONE, anniversary comic. Conan wasn't even originally from Marvel iirc, he was bought into Marvel meanwhile Namor has been there since day one. ugh. I will always be bitter about them ignoring Namor on his big 80th.

I really can't wait for the Alan Weiss story!
    Me either! Especially if it is the Namor the Sailor Man story. There's some wonkiness going on anatomy wise on that new cover, but I love that expression on his face. And EYEBROWS!!! So many questions for Alex Ross. I need to get my Twitter account set up. ugh.

I saw they are going to release a poster book of Alex Ross covers from the Ewing run on Hulk. I don't know why they didn't wait until the run is complete and get them all. I would LOVE if Namor could have an ongoing as successful with Alex Ross covers. Though, he's probably already done quite a few covers that have Namor on it, even if he's not the main subject. Hmmmm.

Yes, EXACTLY, on the anniversary issues. And not just the 80th, but the 75th also. It's so frustrating, especially when you see the success DC is having with their Namor knock offs. I just don't understand why Marvel isn't interested in investing in their original. It's like they've just decided to cede the aquatic hero genre to DC. So much potential, just wasted -- worse, abused to promote other characters. Ah well. At least we had you leading the charge for the fannish celebration of Namor's 80th anniversary. THANK YOU!

To me that was salt on a wound as Conan is the character that took away John Buscema from the Sub-mariner title in the 60's. At least we have the iconic first issue with that epic cover and the few issues Buscema penciled. I'm reading Tales to Astonish and I have to say I'm enjoying the artwork tremendously. Colan to me is almost as good to have as penciler as Big Buscema. And the Sub-mariner of Colan and Colletta doesn't have anything lithe about him, he is a thicc muscly mofo that would have ran circles around Conan and bitchslap him like there is no tomorrow without Conan even knowing what hit him.

Exactly! Makes me think of this panel ... and the motivational poster quote. LOL!

I also have to agree here. Well, except on Colletta's inks. Colan did an amazing Namor, and you can see with other inkers, who lay down a lot of black areas on Colan's pencils, that his undersea stuff is full of mystery and danger. His Namor is probably the most dynamic of all. He actually looks like he is underwater and swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post

I'm expecting way too much out of the Kurt Busiek mini series. But he did so good on the DH Conan. I wish he could be let loose to do something similar here.
    It's great stuff! And I think the direction they should go with the next ongoing. Forget the surface world. Give us the magic and mystery of Atlantis!

The Tom Palmer of the Silver Age that inked Avengers and was perfection over Big John was so different from the one that worked on Avengers in the mid 80d when Nsmor became an Avenger. I dont know if it was that Buscema wasn't doing full pencils but I always found his inks were sometimes too overpowering during that period. It was still better than most comics.
    I agree! Tom Palmer over Gene Colan is the best! Their Tomb of Dracula is still the gold standard, IMO. I think that's exactly what happened on the Avengers run, Thor-El. It was probably just layouts by Big John, with Tom Palmer doing most of the heavy lifting. But I think an inker who appreciates the giant swathes of shadows that Colan used would fine. Like Esposito on the great Doomasque arc in Subby's own book.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Some big feels with this one. I loved this era of the Avengers. But I loved most of them until Dissembled.