Page 29 of 123 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I will eat your sushi for you. ;p

I don't think so, on that poster. That Avengers issue was by Don Heck and this art is by Gene Colan? It's one of the Marvel posters from the 1960s -- they came in a set. Ah, found the advertisement.

I'm sure the original poster is pricey, but I found a reproduction on eBay for a more reasonable price...
    Thanks!

The clasp on the cape reminded me of the amulet that Namor wore when he mentally changed the cosmic cube. I believe that issue was also in the 1960's.

Mighty Member

The cover artist, Richard Howell, also does the interiors. I don't have this book, but here's a few panels from SuperMegaMonkey.

This one seems like a ... homage to the famous Kirby panel o' dolphins.

Ah! I remember Richard Howell from The All Star Squadron and then the Hawkman mini series. Thank you for finding these!

I've always loved the idea of Namor's birthday being 2-22-22. And of course, that makes him a Pisces, for certain, which is also awesome.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Many Olympic swimmers often do wear pants, and full bodysuits for that matter. BUT I totally get your point. There's nothing wrong with his classic Speedo (unless it's the bikini briefs version some artists want to push, which I despise)

I do get the argument of the speedo preventing potential new readers from taking Namor seriously, especially as the speedo got smaller and smaller over the years. I'm sure you have all noticed that even other characters have to comment about the speedo when Namor is in his many guest appearances or cameos. People in-universe obsess about the speedo as much as readers and creators at Marvel. The speedo is an issue, whichever side of the fence you may land on. I personally love his classic speedo, and no other look for Namor has even come close in terms of iconic looks. I can also understand the people who don't. Namor is a character from another time, what people think is cool or badass in modern times, was not even on the radar when Namor was made. He was an aquatic character who swam, so he wore swim trunks, it was that simple. Once the late 80s and 90s came around, Namor was stuck in the era of hard edge, badass, cool dudes, of Wolverine, of Cable, of Spawn etc. Even though he could mop the floor with the lot of them, he didn't fare too well and his look has been under scrutiny ever since. That's why we got wacky hard-edge redesigns like Jae Lee's work on the book.

His look came from the time, high wasted, with legs that went slightly down the thigh. This look lasted right through to Buscema.

Although they did wear lots of bodysuits back in the day too:
    And yet after all that experimentation with a leotard what stuck for years was the smaller speedo after Geoff Isherwood took over. Isherwood was good at drawing musclebound heroes as he was coming from the Savage Sword of Conan black and white magazine. I bought into that style and I didn't see nothing exceptionally wrong with it and never noticed that the characters had to comment anymore than what they always commented before when he was wearing granny panties in the early 60s. In fact Geoff Isherwood Namor with the more bodybuyilder sized trunks that you call bikini briefs is still my favorite style but without the long hair ponytail. As I've pointed out before; these bodybuilder trunks highlights all the muscles in the core that are invisible with regular trunks.

Mighty Member

And I thought you were a dedicated fan but this one takes the cake! LOL

Mighty Member

More of my 3D, some early designs with Tiger Shark that may evolve. Not too happy of how the spandex hides the muscle details, just like in cinema.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Can't see the pic at work, Thor-El. Will have to wait til I get home to view it. Didn't know you were doing Tiger Shark. That's cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thanks!

The clasp on the cape reminded me of the amulet that Namor wore when he mentally changed the cosmic cube. I believe that issue was also in the 1960's.
    Oh yeah! I remember that, now.

But it sort of reminds me of one his belt buckles. He sometimes wore a sunburst as a belt buckle, for some reason.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    And I thought you were a dedicated fan but this one takes the cake! LOL
    Athena-i does indeed take the cake for her Namor birthday celebrations. Of course, in Japan, presentation IS a big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I've always loved the idea of Namor's birthday being 2-22-22. And of course, that makes him a Pisces, for certain, which is also awesome.
    I love that we celebrate Namor's birthday multiple times a year. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ah! I remember Richard Howell from The All Star Squadron and then the Hawkman mini series. Thank you for finding these!
    I wasn't familiar with him, so these were interesting to me. Will definitely try harder to find this issue.

More of my 3D, some early designs with Tiger Shark that may evolve. Not too happy of how the spandex hides the muscle details, just like in cinema.
    Looks good and I know you will improve on him--love seeingTiger Shark.

Would love to see Orka! And Stingray too!

Besides TAROT #3, we are getting the second paperback collection of INVADERS!

Sadly, I was correct, and the fourth and final variant for Tarot does NOT feature the awesome Namor and Cap fight. It's the Surfer vs Vision cover.

But I found this variant cover by Nick Bradshaw for Atlantis Attacks #3. I really love all the details Bradshaw puts in this cover. The Sirenas look fantastic!

Last edited by Reviresco; 02-25-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Sadly, I was correct, and the fourth and final variant for Tarot does NOT feature the awesome Namor and Cap fight. It's the Surfer vs Vision cover.

But I found this variant cover by Nick Bradshaw for Atlantis Attacks #3. I really love all the details Bradshaw puts in this cover. The Sirenas look fantastic!

Who/what are those female(?) sea creatures? Have we seen them before?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Who/what are those female(?) sea creatures? Have we seen them before?
    They are Sirenas which are mermaids derived from Philippine mythology (without using our indigenous name for them, it must be pointed out). They played a role in Wave getting her powers in her back-up story in Aero.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

Oddly enough mermaids (sirenas) were never an important part of Namor's or Marvel Atlantis mythology. I don't remember any Golden or Silver Age story dealing with them, at least the ones I've read. Wonder if Jack Kirby ever draw them.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Gosh that cover is gorgeous! And its true mer folk/mermaids/sirenas haven't been a big part of Namor's mythology I recall there was that short mini series that had the reveal of the mermaid at the end, and also the issue of The Sub-Mariner #54 that had the mermaid story.

Which honestly makes no sense as to why there aren't mermaids/merfolk more in Namor's stories. IIRC Hickman did something with fish faced people, the old atlantean kings, but that went no where. I really think adding the Sirenas is a good move to expand the roster of more than just Atlanteans and Lemurians as a race underwater. I think that writers should use more underwater or water based myths from around the world into stories.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis