Page 24 of 123 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Happy Valentine and Imperius Rex to everyone! Hope this is not too racy for the board.
    Hahaha, well done as usual! Love all of the touches, like darker ankle wings and the very metallicy-gold trident.

We all know this is what Namor is up to today!!!!

I love the seahorses and eel in the pic too!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hahaha, well done as usual! Love all of the touches, like darker ankle wings and the very metallicy-gold trident.

Glad you liked it Phoenixx9, I hadn't been that happy with my Lady Dorma in previous artworks of mine but I think with this hair I've finally arrived with the design I want for her.

Glad you liked it Phoenixx9, I hadn't been that happy with my Lady Dorma in previous artworks of mine but I think with this hair I've finally arrived with the design I want for her.
    Dorma looks great, from face, skin tone and hair. I think you got it!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Happy Valentine and Imperius Rex to everyone! Hope this is not too racy for the board.

Dorma looks great, from face, skin tone and hair. I think you got it!
    Happy Belated Valentine's Day!

Whew! Namor definitely enjoyed his Valentine's Day, Thor-El! Have to agree with Phoenixx9. Another gorgeous pic!

Hey, remember, John Buscema had Lady Dorma as a hip chick! She did her hair in various styles and lengths. Remember when she had this short crop, with a mini-skirt?

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I don't know why the artist decided not to draw a nose, but the costume gives a cool Little Mermaid vibe.

O_O

I can't say I've ever heard that about this image, but it is a quite remarked upon image. ;p IIRC, it was a Swimsuit page done by Joe Quesada.

Here's a more direct reference to the Little Mermaid ... I think by Cullen Bunn.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Amazing covers! I definitely like the first one more.

Happy Valentine's day to all, here's some of my fave Namor ones from GarnetVengnce on tumblr!

Edit: GarnetVengeance has new valentines!
    I love those GarnetVengeance Valentines! Thanks for point out the new ones.

AHHHHH! I saw this earlier and was screaming about the stripped shirt on Twitter. lol! I'm really excited for this comic! I love BettyxNamor!
    I love Betty x Namor, so much. Probably what I'm most looking forward to about this book. Also, I guess we'll have to add French Fries to Namor's favorite surface world foods?

I like these, especially All-Winners Squad. There is a lot of details--such as the jagged tread on the bottom of Whizzer's boots----something I have not seen on some speedsters since the 1970's-80's comics. My only gripe is Miss America face is not quite right and I don't like when they draw her scrawny, making the costume feel over-large.
    It is going to be cool to see All Winners Squad again. Wow. I didn't even notice that about the Whizzer's shoes.

I'm just glad they got Miss America in her regular costume and hair style.

You can tell Jerry Ordway really loves the Golden Age! This is going to be a sweet book.
    Love that panel of Namor using his body to protect the soldier from the bullets! Really can't wait! I still remember when Ordway and Thomas took on The All Star Squadron for DC way way back!
    No doubt. I really enjoyed Ordway on that Cap and Invaders one-shot we got last year. I'm very curious about that in combat panel also. Can't wait to see this book!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-15-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I don't think these have been posted here yet but here are variant covers for Atlantis Attacks #2 due on Wednesday.

Ron Lim cover.

Gerardo Sandoval cover.

I think it's easy to figure which cover you prefer. : p
    Hmmmmm. Which one to pick? LOL!

I think the Sandoval cover is a bit rushed looking.

I think my favorite, from a craft POV, is the regular cover by Mico Suayan

Here's the preview for Atlantis Attacks #2, which, as Bleeding Cool points out, seems to end the reason for conflict with Atlantis? Of course, I don't see how making MI-11 the source for Pan's transporter rather than the dragon, is all that good of an idea, either.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...cks-2-preview/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Happy Belated Valentine's Day!

Whew! Namor definitely enjoyed his Valentine's Day, Thor-El! Have to agree with Phoenixx9. Another gorgeous pic!

Hey, remember, John Buscema had Lady Dorma as a hip chick! She did her hair in various styles and lengths. Remember when she had this short crop, with a mini-skirt?

Thank you, Rev, appreciated. You are right about Lady Dorma, in the comics she has had different hairstyles. I guess my target is mostly the cartoons which are probably based mostly on Gene Colan in Tales to Astonish.

Mighty Member

I don't know if you guys are aware that Tom Brevoort has a blog where he goes thru many Sub-mariner stories, specially the Golden Age. It seems to me he values the Sub-mariner much but don't understand Marvel's way of limiting Namor's expossure to guest star and not give the character a regular series??!!

The link below is an exposition by Brevoort on how the last issue of the Golden Age Sub-mariner solo series retells the first attacks of Namor upon the surface world and seems to be in a direction to retell the first stories published in Marvel Mystery Comics!

https://tombrevoort.com/2019/08/31/t...SlWiePoADWc9r0

Thank you, Rev, appreciated. You are right about Lady Dorma, in the comics she has had different hairstyles. I guess my target is mostly the cartoons which are probably based mostly on Gene Colan in Tales to Astonish.
    I could have guessed that.

I don't know if you guys are aware that Tom Brevoort has a blog where he goes thru many Sub-mariner stories, specially the Golden Age. It seems to me he values the Sub-mariner much but don't understand Marvel's way of limiting Namor's expossure to guest star and not give the character a regular series??!!

The link below is an exposition by Brevoort on how the last issue of the Golden Age Sub-mariner solo series retells the first attacks of Namor upon the surface world and seems to be in a direction to retell the first stories published in Marvel Mystery Comics!

https://tombrevoort.com/2019/08/31/t...SlWiePoADWc9r0
    I usually enjoy reading Brevroot's information blogs. He's been around a while, and he clearly enjoys comics and appreciates the history. He's frustrating sometimes, when he's got his Marvel Company Man hat on, but hey, that's the job. I certainly don't think he deserves the personal verbal abuse he gets.

But my understanding of Brevroort is that he is a big fan of the Fantastic Four and, IIRC, his favorite Marvel character is Ben Grimm. And generally, he's a fan of comics. I think he actually started out liking DC comics first when he started reading as a kid, and slowly got sucked into Marvel comics. IIRC, he may be the guy with the most tenure at Marvel now, so he sorts of the defacto "historian" of the company.

I don't think he's expressed any particular preference (or aversion) for Namor, and I do know he's the one that wanted pants put on Namor for the Phoenix 5 costume, and has said things like, it's hard to take the character seriously in swimming trunks. At best, he _may_ have a liking for the Invaders, but I would guess Brevroot leans more toward Cap and Jim Hammond, rather than Namor.

Brevroot tends to follow the company line on characters. And Marvel's company line, right now, is that Namor only works in teams, if that. I remember him saying that Doctor Strange couldn't hold an ongoing, despite the fact that Strange had had an ongoing from 1968? to 1996, in one book or another. So, we didn't get a Strange ongoing for almost 20 years! It wasn't until the movie was announced (because Strange was a Feige favorite) that Marvel decided they would actually push and support a Doctor Strange ongoing like he was an A-List character. Anyway, it's not surprise to me, that the last time we got a Namor ongoing, it was under the X-Office, not under Brevroot.

I tend to follow Geoff Johns 'marketing', instead. Any character can be made an A-list, marketable character, if you TREAT them like an A-List character. Of course, Geoff Johns is responsible for making both of DC's Namor analogs into marketable characters who will both have movies at DC. Meanwhile, Marvel treats the OG like crap and nothing more than a prop for other characters.

Yep. FOREVER SALTY about that.

Mighty Member

I could have guessed that.

I usually enjoy reading Brevroot's information blogs. He's been around a while, and he clearly enjoys comics and appreciates the history. He's frustrating sometimes, when he's got his Marvel Company Man hat on, but hey, that's the job. I certainly don't think he deserves the personal verbal abuse he gets.

But my understanding of Brevroort is that he is a big fan of the Fantastic Four and, IIRC, his favorite Marvel character is Ben Grimm. And generally, he's a fan of comics. I think he actually started out liking DC comics first when he started reading as a kid, and slowly got sucked into Marvel comics. IIRC, he may be the guy with the most tenure at Marvel now, so he sorts of the defacto "historian" of the company.

I don't think he's expressed any particular preference (or aversion) for Namor, and I do know he's the one that wanted pants put on Namor for the Phoenix 5 costume, and has said things like, it's hard to take the character seriously in swimming trunks. At best, he _may_ have a liking for the Invaders, but I would guess Brevroot leans more toward Cap and Jim Hammond, rather than Namor.

Brevroot tends to follow the company line on characters. And Marvel's company line, right now, is that Namor only works in teams, if that. I remember him saying that Doctor Strange couldn't hold an ongoing, despite the fact that Strange had had an ongoing from 1968? to 1996, in one book or another. So, we didn't get a Strange ongoing for almost 20 years! It wasn't until the movie was announced (because Strange was a Feige favorite) that Marvel decided they would actually push and support a Doctor Strange ongoing like he was an A-List character. Anyway, it's not surprise to me, that the last time we got a Namor ongoing, it was under the X-Office, not under Brevroot.

I tend to follow Geoff Johns 'marketing', instead. Any character can be made an A-list, marketable character, if you TREAT them like an A-List character. Of course, Geoff Johns is responsible for making both of DC's Namor analogs into marketable characters who will both have movies at DC. Meanwhile, Marvel treats the OG like crap and nothing more than a prop for other characters.

Yep. FOREVER SALTY about that.
    Well, I'm sorry to read this but I suspected so. Seeing so much Namor in his blog made me feel like I had misjudged him. But ALL that you mention here makes me think that Brevoort doesn't understands Namor at all. I wish people like Alex Ross who understands so well these characters at the core could have some position of power at Marvel Comics, sometimes an editorial shift is very important. And Geoff Johns couldn't be more correct, any character can be made an A lister with the right creative team, it has been proved multiple times. Like any "A" lister can become a "D" lister, look at Superman right now.

Well, I'm sorry to read this but I suspected so. Seeing so much Namor in his blog made me feel like I had misjudged him. But ALL that you mention here makes me think that Brevoort doesn't understands Namor at all. I wish people like Alex Ross who understands so well these characters at the core could have some position of power at Marvel Comics, sometimes an editorial shift is very important. And Geoff Johns couldn't be more correct, any character can be made an A lister with the right creative team, it has been proved multiple times. Like any "A" lister can become a "D" lister, look at Superman right now.
    ALL of Marvel's editorial decisions are not wholly Brevroot's decisions. For example, I realize I may have implied that Brevroot was the guy responsible for us not getting a Dr Strange ongoing for all those years, and that isn't the case at all. He wasn't in 'power' for all those years, for one thing. What I meant was that he was repeating the company line, when asked about a Dr. Strange book. WHY Marvel "believed" that ... well I have my own theories about that, but mostly, they just weren't interested in doing a magic / Doctor Strange book.

I assume there's a fair amount of Namor in Tom's info blogs, because there's a fair amount of Namor in Marvel's history. At least Tom acknowledges that, unlike some other folks.

As for Brevroot getting Namor ... well, I don't think he gets certain aspects of Namor, that's for sure. The whole business of putting pants on Namor ... well, no. For some reason, he doesn't seem to understand that there's a large part of Namor's fanbase that likes the swimming trunks. But that sort of ... censure, has been going on since the black suit costume from the 1970s.

Alex Ross does have some pull at Marvel -- WHEN he wants to exercise it. That's why we got his Invaders trilogy. Of course, I wish he had done a Namor mini-series, but he choose to focus on Jim Hammond, instead. And we did just (the last couple of years) get an editorial shift at Marvel. But I'm not so sure that has worked out good for Namor. At this point, I think we really only have two things to pin our hopes on for a change in Marvel's attitude toward Namor.

1) A movie or TV show

2) What we've always had to rely on, a writer with enough pull who loves Namor and wants to write him.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-17-2020 at 03:26 PM.

I miss the "IMPERIUS REX" in the thread title. I keep scrolling past the thread looking for it lol.

Happy 100th Birthday to Namor this year!
    I hope they retcon that once he's in the MCU. I always thought his character should be older. I remember this old Marvel Saga(?) cover where he's wearing a pirate costume. Always felt Namor was not just alien in location but also in time and mores.

they killed off Valkyrie in War of Realms , so Jane Foster could take her place.
    Never got that. Aren't there supposed to be a host of valkiries grabbing up heroes to take them to Valhalla? Why just one?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    I still think Luke Evans should portray Namor.
    I like Luke but I've hoped for Steven Yeun for a while now ever since I heard Feige had some talks with him about maybe coming in the MCU. Yeun seems tailor made for Marvel, funny, can act and non-threateningly good-looking. Also not a fan of the Submariner as a big dude. Always saw him more slender, like an Olympic swimmer... and yes I know the new swimming champs are all super-tall.

thanks for highlighting the one ability that so many modern writers seem to forget. Namor can FLY. There's so many of these fights that Namor should get the jump on, or even end, by simply flying.
    Isn't Namor the first ever truly flying super-hero as well?

NAMORITA IS COMING BACK?! NITA IS ON THE COVER OF THE NEW WARRIORS!
    Have they already retconned all that horrible Speedball stuff?

Actually I've heard that the kid plays Phastos' and his husband's adopted son in that Eternals movie.

Jeff Bridges - Captain Leonard McKenzie
    But he's already Obadiah Stane.

Anyway, in today's episode of DREAM BIG DARLING, what 12 artists would you pick for 12 variant covers for Namor, if editorial were to treat him to the same?

Me? I just wanna see Ladronn do Namor.

Well I honestly don't know if Namor is one of Busiek's favorite characterts or one he likes to write. I read his Avengers and Namor was never an active member during his run
    I'm a big fan of Busiek's but his run on the Avengers was all in all a disappointment.

Our first look at Marvel Snapshots Sub-Mariner!

Namor's wearin that striped shirt from an Atlas story! Betty Dean looks gorgeous. And the All Winners Squad!

The water show reminds of the infamous Fabulous Fin Costume story!
    Was hoping it'd be the Patriot instead of Cap though. Love me some Jeffrey Mace.

You can tell Jerry Ordway really loves the Golden Age! This is going to be a sweet book.
    Love that panel of Namor using his body to protect the soldier from the bullets! Really can't wait! I still remember when Ordway and Thomas took on The All Star Squadron for DC way way back!
    Discovered All Star Squadron as a kid waiting for a flight in New Delhi. Some dude was selling a bunch of comics at the airport. Ended up buying 6-8 issues and I've loved Golden Age heroes ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Ron Lim cover.
    I've missed Ron Lim. Loved his run on Silver Surfer and Captain America back in the day.