Page 28 of 123 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I'm looking forward to this book, even if Namor isn't in the previews. It's some old school goodness, with lovely art by Renaud. Since it is clear they are using the original Avengers / Defenders War covers for inspiration on the variants, I wish they would give us Namor and Cap fighting for the last issue. However, I'm not holding my breath on that, since they gave a pin up one one to Wanda alone.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm looking forward to this book, even if Namor isn't in the previews. It's some old school goodness, with lovely art by Renaud. Since it is clear they are using the original Avengers / Defenders War covers for inspiration on the variants, I wish they would give us Namor and Cap fighting for the last issue. However, I'm not holding my breath on that, since they gave a pin up one one to Wanda alone.

Awesome! John Romita, Sr. cover art is still the best.

I especially love that the arm & weapon are the only visible things shown on the cover for the "Mystery Super-Villain".
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-22-2020 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added clarification.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I'm picking this one up. Alan Weiss was a very good penciler, hope they match him with a good inker.

Has anyone ever seen the interior of this book? Wondering who did the artwork.

Weiss usually inks himself, which I’m perfectly okay with. His Avengers 2 parter with the Silver Surfer and the Molecule Man is still one of my favorite Avengers yarn simply because the art was just that beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Weiss usually inks himself, which I’m perfectly okay with. His Avengers 2 parter with the Silver Surfer and the Molecule Man is still one of my favorite Avengers yarn simply because the art was just that beautiful.
    I don't remember those issues, but I just looked them up, and that cover with Tigra is amazing!

Just his use of shadows on those Subby pages shows how cool his inks will be. Even if the story isn't the one I posted, I'm looking forward to seeing his work.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Awesome! John Romita, Sr. cover art is still the best.

I especially love that the arm & weapon are the only visible things on the cover for the "Mystery Super-Villain".
    I do love me some JR SR.

I bought this off the rack, and yes, that "Mystery Super-Villain" arrow certainly grabbed my attention.

This was a great issue. I remember it had some cool sound effects too, like Namor hitting Cap's shield with a CLAM!!! LOL!

Yes, I do love me some Avengers-Defenders War! Great artwork, story and covers, like this one.

I love that Tarot takes place during this time-period.

Many Olympic swimmers often do wear pants, and full bodysuits for that matter. BUT I totally get your point. There's nothing wrong with his classic Speedo (unless it's the bikini briefs version some artists want to push, which I despise)

I do get the argument of the speedo preventing potential new readers from taking Namor seriously, especially as the speedo got smaller and smaller over the years. I'm sure you have all noticed that even other characters have to comment about the speedo when Namor is in his many guest appearances or cameos. People in-universe obsess about the speedo as much as readers and creators at Marvel. The speedo is an issue, whichever side of the fence you may land on. I personally love his classic speedo, and no other look for Namor has even come close in terms of iconic looks. I can also understand the people who don't. Namor is a character from another time, what people think is cool or badass in modern times, was not even on the radar when Namor was made. He was an aquatic character who swam, so he wore swim trunks, it was that simple. Once the late 80s and 90s came around, Namor was stuck in the era of hard edge, badass, cool dudes, of Wolverine, of Cable, of Spawn etc. Even though he could mop the floor with the lot of them, he didn't fare too well and his look has been under scrutiny ever since. That's why we got wacky hard-edge redesigns like Jae Lee's work on the book.

His look came from the time, high wasted, with legs that went slightly down the thigh. This look lasted right through to Buscema.

Although they did wear lots of bodysuits back in the day too:

I also have no issue with Namor wearing pants or bodysuits, as long as they match his established aesthetic. That's the part many creators seem to miss. The black, craggy, fishnet armor he's currently sporting does not match Namor's established aesthetic, so it just looks wrong.

The anime style Fantastic Four series from some years back had a great looking Namor. They didn't want to do the speedo either, so they made a nice, simple, high waisted pants design that absolutely matched Namor's aesthetic. Although I never enjoyed the show or Namor's portrayal in it, I did love that look. (excluding the "Little Mermaid" hip fins.)

Last edited by Doombot; 02-22-2020 at 08:00 PM.

I do love me some JR SR.
    Definitely a legend.

I bought this off the rack, and yes, that "Mystery Super-Villain" arrow certainly grabbed my attention.
    As if Cap directing our attention weren't enough, they had to add in that arrow for good measure.

This was a great issue. I remember it had some cool sound effects too, like Namor hitting Cap's shield with a CLAM!!! LOL!
    Agreed. Even in water, Cap sure was lucky he was able to hold his own against Namor.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Namor does wear shorts, as in actual shorts sometimes, instead of speedos and that's still better than the full pants/vest or armor imo. I enjoy a lot of different Namor outfits but I'm sorry when he is in the black vest diving suit type stuff there's too much similarity to Black Adam at a fast glance. I want Namor to stand out on his own, and I always feel that happened more with the speedo. Still I do love that Namor in the FF cartoon, it was the last time we got Namor in a show and they were pretty good with the second episode he showed up in!

Thunderbolts, #164 (1997)

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Athena-I amazing Namor Birthday Feasts!

Athena-I amazing Namor Birthday Feasts!

Hey Rev, Love, Love, Love that NAMOR pic with the blue cape! Is that from a very old tale (circa Avengers 39/40) when Namor had the Cosmic Cube? I want one! Wherever did you find this?

Neat Marrina. I did not know they made her figure.

( I will pass on the sushi, but do save me a few shrimps, fruit cup and glass of beverage, lol!)

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I always love Athena's Namor birthday fests. I haven't seen them do one this year though.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hey Rev, Love, Love, Love that NAMOR pic with the blue cape! Is that from a very old tale (circa Avengers 39/40) when Namor had the Cosmic Cube? I want one! Wherever did you find this?

Neat Marrina. I did not know they made her figure.

( I will pass on the sushi, but do save me a few shrimps, fruit cup and glass of beverage, lol!)
    I will eat your sushi for you. ;p

I don't think so, on that poster. That Avengers issue was by Don Heck and this art is by Gene Colan? It's one of the Marvel posters from the 1960s -- they came in a set. Ah, found the advertisement.

I'm sure the original poster is pricey, but I found a reproduction on eBay for a more reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I always love Athena's Namor birthday fests. I haven't seen them do one this year though.

Me too! It's amazing how she makes the Namor scene out of chocolate!

I don't think she does one every year. Some years she is busy or Namor doesn't have a regular gig.