Page 65 of 123 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast

Great posts everyone I love checking in and reading all these great threads . Today is a very special day for me . A long long time ago I dropped feeler messages to collectors that owned Bill Everett Namor sketches in hopes of finding one that might sell to me. With no surprise lmao I never got a response and just forgot about it . Over a year at least has passed and I wake up this morning and check my emails what do you think I get? Yup! An offer to buy a vintage Subby piece by the late Bill Everett .

My heart raced as I didn’t know what the price would be and was concerned if anyone else knew it was available . These pieces hardly ever get to the “ little guys “ that’s me, but the seller was so cool and easy . He was ready to say goodbye I couldn’t believe my luck . I had many chances to buy pages in the past but I prefer commission style pin ups myself and an Everett Subby in the golden age style was a tall order . All the boxes were checked off with this one so I didn’t hesitate.

I wanted to share this with everyone here as I know most of you will appreciate it as true fans . The information is as follows

Drawn at New York Comic Con 1970
    11” x 14”
    Marker
    Signed

My holy grail Submariner! Enjoy

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post
    Great posts everyone I love checking in and reading all these great threads . Today is a very special day for me . A long long time ago I dropped feeler messages to collectors that owned Bill Everett Namor sketches in hopes of finding one that might sell to me. With no surprise lmao I never got a response and just forgot about it . Over a year at least has passed and I wake up this morning and check my emails what do you think I get? Yup! An offer to buy a vintage Subby piece by the late Bill Everett .

My heart raced as I didn’t know what the price would be and was concerned if anyone else knew it was available . These pieces hardly ever get to the “ little guys “ that’s me, but the seller was so cool and easy . He was ready to say goodbye I couldn’t believe my luck . I had many chances to buy pages in the past but I prefer commission style pin ups myself and an Everett Subby in the golden age style was a tall order . All the boxes were checked off with this one so I didn’t hesitate.

I wanted to share this with everyone here as I know most of you will appreciate it as true fans . The information is as follows

11” x 14”
    Marker
    Signed

WHOOOOOO!!!!! THAT'S AMAZING! Congrats Subby1939!!! This is like the peak of your already amazing collection! Thanks so much for sharing it!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thinking about the Morrison FF 1234, makes me wonder if we could have ever gotten a Morrison Namor book?

He clearly had an interest in the character at one time. He had considered making Namor a teacher or headmaster at Xavier's school -- though I can't remember if that was his idea or his editor. And he created / wrote Marvel Boy, which is basically an update on Namor. Perhaps he had said all he wanted to on the character with that?
    LOL! I cannot imagine a more dreadful principle for a school of adolescents, most of whom are traumatized by their inability to fit in the with the children they grew up with any longer.

Love me some Subby, but it would take a really deft touch to simulateously depict:
    • Namor's imperious impatience
    • Namor's immense competence
    • Namor's sympathy for growing up different

I suppose it could be done, but you'd have to balance making Namor a despicable bully against neutering him.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    LOL! I cannot imagine a more dreadful principle for a school of adolescents, most of whom are traumatized by their inability to fit in the with the children they grew up with any longer.

Love me some Subby, but it would take a really deft touch to simulateously depict:
    • Namor's imperious impatience
    • Namor's immense competence
    • Namor's sympathy for growing up different

I suppose it could be done, but you'd have to balance making Namor a despicable bully against neutering him.
    To be honest, your first instinct is the same as mine, but after thinking about a little, I think Namor would actually be a great for adolescents. He'd be someone who would not bend to meet young people on their level, but force them to meet him on his. The strict, no-nonsense type of instructor that you don't realize had the greatest impact on you until are ready to move on. Namor has a tender side as well and a deep caring for people, especially those he feels are innocent and perhaps outcasts like himself.

The idea of him being a headmaster for x school imo is crappy idea . He seldom has much time for land dwellers nor would ha have patience to teach because he’s a ruler . It’s a petty role for this persona for that reason I’m out !

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I'm not in favor of Namor being a school teacher of any kind outside of an What if? Comic where Namor might be a professor or something. However that being said Namor and teens where he has to take on a mentor role is something we desperately need. Like Nita, or Loa we need Namor to have connections where he takes on a big brother role because it's really the only times you can see his patience and understanding for being a child who was born different from his fellows. If you wanted to give Namor a "teacher" role why not (As other fans of the Namor blog have mentioned once) find Atlantean children who lost their homes and family because of the numerous times Atlantis had been destroyed who would have become a gang of feral children trying to survive the oceans since they feel Atlantis had failed them, and Namor takes them on as his wards, teaching them about their culture and world and how to survive out in the oceans alone. We need Namor more in Atlantis than as a school teacher with the xmen. Namor isn't needed with the xmen, he would be a semi background character again.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I have zero interest in Namor being with the X-men, and I'd honestly rather he was not even considered a mutant, but I was making a different point.

What Namor needs is to find someone to continuously mate with to create more super powered mutants like himself until he has an army of Namor clones so he can do what he does best! Imperious wrecked!!!!

Babies, yes. Clones, good god, please never!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Satisfying to see Namor admitting he was wrong after being called out on his tyrant bullcrap (Secret Empire: Brave New World #5, October 2017). Art by Brian Level.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

11” x 14”
    Marker
    Signed

What a beautifully done piece. Congratulations!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-10-2020 at 03:11 PM.

I don't know if you guys have seen these but there are some really nice Sub-Mariner shirts at SuperheroStuff. I think I'm going to get the Bill Everett one or the pink Surfing Namor

They make an awesome John Buscema cover in white I bought one of those

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    To be honest, your first instinct is the same as mine, but after thinking about a little, I think Namor would actually be a great for adolescents. He'd be someone who would not bend to meet young people on their level, but force them to meet him on his. The strict, no-nonsense type of instructor that you don't realize had the greatest impact on you until are ready to move on. Namor has a tender side as well and a deep caring for people, especially those he feels are innocent and perhaps outcasts like himself.
    You raise good points. I'd add one more reason against putting Namor in Prof. X's role: he has no interest in their core mission.

Ultimately, the X-Men are about to winning a place for mutants in the world. The surface world.

Namor's attitude toward the surface world ranges from reluctant noblesse oblige, to outright hostility. While I agree with you that he's got the makings of a dramatically interesting mentor, Xavier's School is not the right place for him to exercise it.

What might be fun would be seeing him take on something like an environmentally-focused mashup of The New Warriors and The Thunderbolts. Imagine an event centered on Marvel's major groups going after a new super-team of young eco-terrorists. The twist ending is Namor stepping in and putting them under Atlantis' protection, but with the promise of keeping them coloring inside the lines. He's suddenly Thor trying to run a Caps Kooky Quartet made up entirely of Hawkeyes.

They make an awesome John Buscema cover in white I bought one of those
    I wish they would the one of Namor vs Tiger Shark too!