Page 12 of 123 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    From Alex Ross "Marvelocity", one of my favorite depictions of Namor has to be Alex Ross. Here's some early pencil drawing and excerpt of one of his interviews talking about Namor.

Well, I'm definitely adding that quote to the front page.

Now, if he could only convince Marvel editorial of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I love Ross too, what a great artist, I really need to get that book, just for the Namor stuff, I love the Iron Man vs Namor art he did.

And I always love it when any artist recreates that iconic art from the silver age run.
    Ross is amazing, no doubt. Even if you get it for the Namor stuff, there's plenty of other stuff to enjoy also.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

So I commissioned another Namor art from the artist who did the portrait before, I love their style so much! I really love this one and it's inspired by certain painting .

WOW! Ecairnsart is wonderful! And Botticelli's Venus! How appropriate for Namor. ;p

A while ago, Marvel did a set of art appreciation variant covers, but of course, they didn't Namor. In fact, I'm thinking it was mostly Wolverine. sigh. Anyways, I always thought a series of variants like that with Namor would be awesome! I always wanted one of David's Napoleon.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

From the John Buscema fan group in facebook, Joe Jusko posted this:

‎Joe Jusko‎ to The Artistry of John Buscema
    January 18 at 12:22 PM ·
    SUB-MARINER #1

The original cover by Buscema/Brodsky and a recreation where the buyer asked John to ink the figures as he would.

Some years back the recreation came up for auction and I was bidding on it against a bunch of art I had put in the same auction expressly to get this piece, so it was more of a trade than a purchase. I was positive I’d win it at 5 or 6K as I was playing with house money, so to speak. And, it was a recreation.

I dropped out at 15K!!!! I have no idea who the hell wanted this more than I did but I couldn’t believe that I kept getting outbid! At least I made him pay for it. lol

If he’s reading this-��

It’s a gorgeous oversized recreation that I’m still sad I didn’t get.

That's amazing. I'm surprised a Buscema recreation of a Namor cover went for that much. I wonder if it was a charity auction? Or shortly after John Buscema died? I mean, it is gorgeous, and I'd desperately want it also, but there aren't that many of us Namor fans around.

that is a gorgeous piece, but oh my that's far too rich for my blood! Whoever got it was very determined (and rich!)!
    John Buscema's art definitely goes for the big bucks. I'd love to have piece of his early Namor art, but I'll have come into a surprise mega inheritance to do so. LOL!

Indeed. Joe Jusko was willing to pay a lot of money. He did a nice recreation of that image a couple years ago too.

He used this for the corner box variants, and offered those as posters at cons. I definitely picked up the Namor one. I wish he had printed up the one he did of Namor in the black suit. It would have made a great pair to frame up.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    WOW! Ecairnsart is wonderful! And Botticelli's Venus! How appropriate for Namor. ;p

A while ago, Marvel did a set of art appreciation variant covers, but of course, they didn't Namor. In fact, I'm thinking it was mostly Wolverine. sigh. Anyways, I always thought a series of variants like that with Namor would be awesome! I always wanted one of David's Napoleon.

Thank you, I'm very happy with the art! And this painting is very interesting. It would be great to see Namor in that pose with his trident, maybe even his cape and crown too but definetly not that many layers of clothes! XD It's a shame we didn't get one of Namor, I love having the classical poses/art remade with Marvel characters.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Thank you, I'm very happy with the art! And this painting is very interesting. It would be great to see Namor in that pose with his trident, maybe even his cape and crown too but definetly not that many layers of clothes! XD It's a shame we didn't get one of Namor, I love having the classical poses/art remade with Marvel characters.
    LOL! Yes, a few too many clothes. But I love David. And it fits in with the Royal / Imperial portrait -- which you would think Namor would have. Though ... underwater, perhaps it more sculpture than painting.

Looked it up, and Marvel did the Art Appreciation variants twice. First with Wolverine:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/artic...d/1100-138169/

And then the Avengers:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-un...ariant-covers/

I would love to see something like this done with Namor ... once Marvel editorial wakes up and gives Namor his anniversary variants. ;p

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Oh those covers look amazing!

I just wanted to rant very quick: WHY IS MODOK getting a cartoon?! I want to question whoever is in charge over there because we could have x-men, or fantastic four, or even a namor animated show but modok?!

rant over, I can't wait to see Atlantis Attacks tomorrow, there's a panel on twitter, nothing spoilery, but Namor looks so good! (but also when is Namor getting a shave?!)

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I just wanted to rant very quick: WHY IS MODOK getting a cartoon?! I want to question whoever is in charge over there because we could have x-men, or fantastic four, or even a namor animated show but modok?!

rant over, I can't wait to see Atlantis Attacks tomorrow, there's a panel on twitter, nothing spoilery, but Namor looks so good! (but also when is Namor getting a shave?!)
    Namor does look righteously angry.

But I hate that scruffy unshaven look for Namor. There's absolutely NO reason for it and it looks decidedly unregal. I'm definitely waiting for the shave.

MODOK was under Jeph Loeb ... who is now gone. I'm not sure if that show will actually happen. The Tigra and Dazzler show is on 'hold.' What's more insulting than MODOK, is freaking Hit Monkey. So. Mad.

And then there's the latest announcements of new mini-series / series from Marvel... a Lilith one shot, Marvel Zombies Resurrection, and Werewolf by Night -- without Jack Russell. And yet we can't get a freaking Namor mini-series even.

Mighty Member

This is of interest to me since I wish so much Marvel would go full Greek/Roman with their Atlantis, yes, with flowing togas, capes and beards underwater.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/...as-been-found/

British Researchers Claim Lost City of Atlantis has Been Found in Spain

Probably don't want to copy Aquaman too much.

MODOK was under Jeph Loeb ... who is now gone. I'm not sure if that show will actually happen. The Tigra and Dazzler show is on 'hold.' What's more insulting than MODOK, is freaking Hit Monkey. So. Mad.

And then there's the latest announcements of new mini-series / series from Marvel... a Lilith one shot, Marvel Zombies Resurrection, and Werewolf by Night -- without Jack Russell. And yet we can't get a freaking Namor mini-series even.
    Huh? You say that on the day Atlantis Attacks launched. Though Namor is cast as a villain in that mini.

Yeah, if production has stopped on Tigra and Dazzler, why are the others continuing? They can't do that team-up show now, after all.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Probably don't want to copy Aquaman too much.

Huh? You say that on the day Atlantis Attacks launched. Though Namor is cast as a villain in that mini.
    Exactly. That's not a Namor mini-series. It's yet another Agents of Atlas mini-series, and it will use Namor as a 'villain' to further the Agents' stories, not Namor's. Just like almost every appearance of Namor in other people's books. Even in Zdarsky's Invaders, Namor is the adversary.

Though I still find it odd, that people consider _Namor_ the villain, instead of the guy who snuck into his kingdom, stole a magical creature, which he then caged and mutilated for his own uses.

It's long, long, long past due, especially considering how other unproven characters are being pushed and given multiple chances, for Namor, a proven character, to have a solo ongoing that is all about him and his story. Ten years is ridiculous. I will never understand why Marvel thought it was a good idea conceding the entire underwater universe to Aquaman for DC to make BILLIONS off, when they have the original and far more interesting character.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, if production has stopped on Tigra and Dazzler, why are the others continuing? They can't do that team-up show now, after all.
    Why not? They've still got the other shows. Though, again, I'm not so sure those shows will be continuing either. The only one with recent news I've heard of, besides Tigra and Dazzler, is MODOK.

This is of interest to me since I wish so much Marvel would go full Greek/Roman with their Atlantis, yes, with flowing togas, capes and beards underwater.
    Oh, no, Thor-El. Not capes! LOL!

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/...as-been-found/

British Researchers Claim Lost City of Atlantis has Been Found in Spain
    There was a show ... I'm not sure exactly what channel it was on ... about the Spanish theory.

There's also been a two hour show that James Cameron had something to do with about Finding Atlantis, and they spent alot of time mapping the crater of Santorini.

I do enjoy watching anything on Atlantis, and the ocean, that shows up on the tube.

I hate the revamp of DeviantArt. The old site wasn't exactly great, but now it's impossible to find what I'm looking for. Anyway, I found a Namor portrait I haven't seen before. I like the old retro look -- like Namor in the 1940s.

by Jonathan Banchick

http://fav.me/dazim8x
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-22-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Mighty Member

Oh, no, Thor-El. Not capes! LOL!

LOL, Ok, perhaps we can do away with the capes.

Mighty Member

I hate the revamp of DeviantArt. The old site wasn't exactly great, but now it's impossible to find what I'm looking for. Anyway, I found a Namor portrait I haven't seen before. I like the old retro look -- like Namor in the 1940s.

by Jonathan Banchick

http://fav.me/dazim8x
    That one looks like Matt Boomer.

Mighty Member

I like that drawing of Namor. i got the first issue with the variant that shows Namor & Namora. I'm not so sure I'll continue picking up this series. I'm not too attached to many of the main characters on the series and it seems Namor is just being used here to move the plot and as a cardboard villain/anti-hero.