Page 17 of 123 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Only Namor would look happy and looking as if he is looking forward to tussle with the Hulk. Does anyone knows where is this artwork from?

Looking forward to reading Tarot 2 which I've been getting digital only. Probably should be getting the physical version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    No, I do not know where this is from, but it looks mid-70's and very good artwork.

Namor did always seem to enjoy his battles, be it with Hulk, Thing or Thor.
    Yep, it is from the 70s. It's from Marvel Feature #1, the first official appearance of the Defenders, I believe. Ross Andru did the art, and Everett the inks. It's not Everett's usual polished work, because Everett was miffed at the very rough pencils Andru delivered. It was gestural, with many lines, instead of one clean line, and Everett decided to ink EVERY line. LOL! Stan Lee was very mad at Everett, about it.

The nice thing about getting the physical version of comics is that many of the issues have a digital code.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yep, it is from the 70s. It's from Marvel Feature #1, the first official appearance of the Defenders, I believe. Ross Andru did the art, and Everett the inks. It's not Everett's usual polished work, because Everett was miffed at the very rough pencils Andru delivered. It was gestural, with many lines, instead of one clean line, and Everett decided to ink EVERY line. LOL! Stan Lee was very mad at Everett, about it.

The nice thing about getting the physical version of comics is that many of the issues have a digital code.
    Ah, thank you, Rev. I have that issue as a reprint that went out when Erik Larson and Kurt Busiek were about to start their Defenders run. I checked and saw that Namor is being manipulated into seeing Hulk as llyra. My stubbornness of wanting to read all Namor back issues starting from the Golden Age in chronological order has kept me from reading these issues that I have saved waiting for the moment I will reach that point in history. I'm supposed to continue with the Readathon, which I'll do as soon as I get ahead in my real work and some freelance work I need to finish too.

Thanks for that very interesting insight of history about the artwork. I have the original Marvel Feature #2 and #3 where the story continues and noticed in #2 Sal Buscema is inking Ross Andru, then in #3 Bill Everett is inking again over Andru but the drawings this time are his usual polished work which looks really great here.

Looking for these issues I happily discovered I own the original Captain Marvel # 4, the classic battle with Namor by Gene Colan with an appearance of Carol Danvers pre -Ms. Marvel. These are probably from a friend's collection I bought some really old issues way back during the early 90's. I had it stacked up with a group of Gene Colan old issues as I used to keep my comics organized by artist. I also have the Sub-mariner issue he goes against Thor but that's not by Colan!

It's not Everett's usual polished work, because Everett was miffed at the very rough pencils Andru delivered. It was gestural, with many lines, instead of one clean line, and Everett decided to ink EVERY line. LOL! Stan Lee was very mad at Everett about it.
    But it looks awesome.

I wish they'd done a year of issues just like it.

kdb
    Last edited by Kurt Busiek; 01-30-2020 at 03:13 PM.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

That's my reservation also. I think the only thing I've read by Cates is some of his Doctor Strange stuff. It was okay, and certainly better than the Aaron stuff before, but it didn't grab me, like alot of his 90s influenced stuff seems to have grabbed the greater comic buying public.

However, I do think it would be good for the character, as far as getting a push and introduced to people who don't care for Namor.

Agreed 1000%! Bring back the speedo!

This looks wonderful. I love Namor with that slicked back cap of hair. He looks great! Can't wait to read it.
    I agree that whatever push Namor gets is going to be good for getting him in the public eye more, and I just hope that the writing/art is good as well. Sometimes a bad run hurts the character for years to come, and Namor already struggles with getting The Powers That Be to see what an amazing leading man he could be in his own series. I guess I'm saying that I will of course support any Namor books that come out like I'm currently doing with his appearances and I'm hoping for the best!

Oh, you mean like this?

https://twitter.com/cjwardart/status/951566189750300672

From TWO years ago, when Heather Antos and Dennis Hopeless were talking about wanting to do a Namor horror book. It inspired Christian Ward to do this amazingly gorgeous picture. So, yeah, SIGN ME UP!
    Has it already been two years?!? wow, time is really flying.

lmao! That's such an interesting story, thanks Rev.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    But it looks awesome.

I wish they'd one a year of issues just like it.

kdb
    I'm sorry but is this THE Kurt Busiek? O.O I follow you on twitter sir and thanks for always taking the time to reply to my comments!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Something I would love to see from a Namor book is more fantasy elements, espcially in regards to the clothing and stuff, I feel like these days everyone is in black leather and I love the Jae Lee designs with (fake) Fen from his work in the 90s. I love the flow and how her headdress looks like fins. It gives off such a good underwater otherworldy regal vibe.

I've been rereading this arc again and I just love it. I can't imagine just how awesome it would be to have Lee on another Namor run, his art has improved so much over the years.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

But it looks awesome.

kdb
    I guess its true what they say, that just like The Candyman, if you name Kurt Busiek three times in your thread he will appear. Kurt Busiek, Kurt Busiek, Kurt Busiek! Hope you are doing well, Sir. Thanks for giving us such awesome work thru the years. Marvels and your Avengers work with Perez are some of my favorites.

But it looks awesome.

kdb

Well, when you get two artists like Andru and Everett, even if one is being a bit ... prickly, good things happen. And, as I'm sure you know, there's often more life / action in the thumbnails / gesture drawings.

That would be great! I'd buy it. It would be cool if Marvel took a few chances on such things - even if there doesn't appear to be much of a market for it, nowadays.

And BTW, thank you for including Namor in the Marvels Snapshots. He's such an awesome and seminal character for Marvel, but Marvel itself doesn't always treat him as such. I was very sad / mad that no one did a dedicated page for Namor in the Marvel 1000 anniversary issue, so it's great seeing him recognized in Snapshots. And that Alex Ross cover ain't bad either. ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ah, thank you, Rev. I have that issue as a reprint that went out when Erik Larson and Kurt Busiek were about to start their Defenders run. I checked and saw that Namor is being manipulated into seeing Hulk as llyra. My stubbornness of wanting to read all Namor back issues starting from the Golden Age in chronological order has kept me from reading these issues that I have saved waiting for the moment I will reach that point in history. I'm supposed to continue with the Readathon, which I'll do as soon as I get ahead in my real work and some freelance work I need to finish too.

Thanks for that very interesting insight of history about the artwork. I have the original Marvel Feature #2 and #3 where the story continues and noticed in #2 Sal Buscema is inking Ross Andru, then in #3 Bill Everett is inking again over Andru but the drawings this time are his usual polished work which looks really great here.

Looking for these issues I happily discovered I own the original Captain Marvel # 4, the classic battle with Namor by Gene Colan with an appearance of Carol Danvers pre -Ms. Marvel. These are probably from a friend's collection I bought some really old issues way back during the early 90's. I had it stacked up with a group of Gene Colan old issues as I used to keep my comics organized by artist. I also have the Sub-mariner issue he goes against Thor but that's not by Colan!
    Oh my! Captain Marvel #4, what a great find! I don't think I have that issue, even, though I do have a copy of it from somewhere. It's the one that looks like Namor is kicking Captain Marvel, right?

Oddly enough, I was looking at some images of that Busiek and Larsen Defenders run for the 365 Days of Namor thread. Some blogger said the Hulk touching Namor panels were greatest Busiek panels ever! Said blogger may have been a bit biased. ;p

I hear you on the Readathon. I've been meaning to start up with the Silver Age stuff, but just haven't had time this month.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    lmao! That's such an interesting story, thanks Rev.
    IIRC, it is from one of Roy Thomas' introductions in the Marvel Masterworks Defenders. He's always a fount of Everett knowledge, since he did room with him for a bit.

has a "Sub Mariner: The End" one shot ever been published yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    has a "Sub Mariner: The End" one shot ever been published yet?
    No.

Of course, I'm still waiting and waiting for "Sub Mariner: The Middle" ongoings.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-30-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Something I would love to see from a Namor book is more fantasy elements, espcially in regards to the clothing and stuff, I feel like these days everyone is in black leather and I love the Jae Lee designs with (fake) Fen from his work in the 90s. I love the flow and how her headdress looks like fins. It gives off such a good underwater otherworldy regal vibe.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPguDCsX...g&name=900x900

I've been rereading this arc again and I just love it. I can't imagine just how awesome it would be to have Lee on another Namor run, his art has improved so much over the years.
    His art may have improved, but I'll always prefer 90's Jae Lee artwork.

I guess its true what they say, that just like The Candyman, if you name Kurt Busiek three times in your thread he will appear. Kurt Busiek, Kurt Busiek, Kurt Busiek! Hope you are doing well, Sir. Thanks for giving us such awesome work thru the years. Marvels and your Avengers work with Perez are some of my favorites.
    Totally agree. Busiek's work with Carlos Pacheco & Roger Stern on Avengers Forever is also an all-time favorite.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Oh, you mean like this?

https://twitter.com/cjwardart/status/951566189750300672

From TWO years ago, when Heather Antos and Dennis Hopeless were talking about wanting to do a Namor horror book. It inspired Christian Ward to do this amazingly gorgeous picture. So, yeah, SIGN ME UP!

I really don't know what's wrong with Marvel editorial. I'd have LOVED to have that team on a Namor ongoing. Or even a 12 issue mini-series. Dennis Hopeless is a Namor fan, and he uses the character when he can. He even dug deep and used Pirate Namor for a Spider-Woman story.

I haven't read Black Bolt, but I heard it was awesome. It's definitely on my list to read. He's also done some reading on Namor, and we got his Hippie Namor in his Exiles run. I could definitely get behind him and Christian Ward on a Namor book.
    I might have just orgasmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I might have just orgasmed.
    LOL!

It IS breathtaking.

Though, it does make me sadmad that we didn't get this awesomeness.

I'll take any Jae Lee Namor we can get, but I doubt we could get interiors by him. Is he even doing them anymore? But hey, let's dream BIG!

Before Marvel got the rights to Conan back, I thought it would be a super if a new Namor ongoing filled the fantasy / sword and sorcery niche, cause Marvel had nothing there. While it now has that massive amount of competition, I still would love to see Marvel go this direction, but more high fantasy and Game of Thrones, rather than sword and sorcery. It's the direction Stan Lee with the Quest and Roy Thomas with the Serpent Crown took, successfully. IIRC, retired Marvel editor Ralph Macchio said his dream project would have been editing a Namor ongoing with a high fantasy, Tolkien like, vibe.

BTW, those are some my favorite panels! It says so much about Fen and Leonard MacKenzie's relationship and how strong it was.

I'll take any Jae Lee Namor we can get, but I doubt we could get interiors by him. Is he even doing them anymore? But hey, let's dream BIG!

Before Marvel got the rights to Conan back, I thought it would be a super if a new Namor ongoing filled the fantasy / sword and sorcery niche, cause Marvel had nothing there. While it now has that massive amount of competition, I still would love to see Marvel go this direction, but more high fantasy and Game of Thrones, rather than sword and sorcery. It's the direction Stan Lee with the Quest and Roy Thomas with the Serpent Crown took, successfully. IIRC, retired Marvel editor Ralph Macchio said his dream project would have been editing a Namor ongoing with a high fantasy, Tolkien like, vibe.

BTW, those are some my favorite panels! It says so much about Fen and Leonard MacKenzie's relationship and how strong it was.
    That is EXACTLY the kind of Namor book i would want. The Quest and the Serpent Crown were easily my favorite storylines for SA Namor. I'm not buying monthly books right now, but i would shell out for that in a heartbeat. I've heard a couple interviews with Ralph but he's never mentioned that. I'm not sure how wide of an appeal a book like that would have though.

He's only semi retired. He's actually done some work on the new Conan books. Not sure which ones exactly.