Page 18 of 123 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'll take any Jae Lee Namor we can get, but I doubt we could get interiors by him. Is he even doing them anymore? But hey, let's dream BIG!

Before Marvel got the rights to Conan back, I thought it would be a super if a new Namor ongoing filled the fantasy / sword and sorcery niche, cause Marvel had nothing there. While it now has that massive amount of competition, I still would love to see Marvel go this direction, but more high fantasy and Game of Thrones, rather than sword and sorcery. It's the direction Stan Lee with the Quest and Roy Thomas with the Serpent Crown took, successfully. IIRC, retired Marvel editor Ralph Macchio said his dream project would have been editing a Namor ongoing with a high fantasy, Tolkien like, vibe.

BTW, those are some my favorite panels! It says so much about Fen and Leonard MacKenzie's relationship and how strong it was.
    I love Fen and Leonard's love. Its such a tragic tale, especially since Fen never remarried or had anyone else in her life after and still loved her husband even though she thought him dead. It's why I reject the damn Llyron arc so hard. I hate it, I dislike how suddenly Namor had a half brother from his fathers side, and now a grandnephew with Llyron. Like the writers saying Leo just up and had a whole new family and wasn't madly still in love with Fen, even though he spent years trying to get more money to go back to her, losing so much in the process? It's a bad arc, and my least favorite part of the 90s run.

I don't follow alot of artists but the last time I saw Jae Lee interiors was when I got the Namor appearances in the Captain America comic.

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

I'll take any Jae Lee Namor we can get, but I doubt we could get interiors by him. Is he even doing them anymore? But hey, let's dream BIG!

Before Marvel got the rights to Conan back, I thought it would be a super if a new Namor ongoing filled the fantasy / sword and sorcery niche, cause Marvel had nothing there. While it now has that massive amount of competition, I still would love to see Marvel go this direction, but more high fantasy and Game of Thrones, rather than sword and sorcery. It's the direction Stan Lee with the Quest and Roy Thomas with the Serpent Crown took, successfully. IIRC, retired Marvel editor Ralph Macchio said his dream project would have been editing a Namor ongoing with a high fantasy, Tolkien like, vibe.

BTW, those are some my favorite panels! It says so much about Fen and Leonard MacKenzie's relationship and how strong it was.
    You bring a very valid point. I see all the promotion Conan is getting and it makes me sad when a character that is a company original like Namor and who could easily wear those shoes gets sidelined. Conan is suddenly doing stuff a non enhanced human character could never do and it doesn't makes any sense. On a preview of Aaron's work I saw online he has two large blades stuck in each pec and he keeps fighting as if anything. I can see a character like Wolverine or Namor and Thor doing this but a human even if he is as strong as Conan shouldn't be able to brush off that kind of damage that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    You bring a very valid point. I see all the promotion Conan is getting and it makes me sad when a character that is a company original like Namor and who could easily wear those shoes gets sidelined. Conan is suddenly doing stuff a non enhanced human character could never do and it doesn't makes any sense. On a preview of Aaron's work I saw online he has two large blades stuck in each pec and he keeps fighting as if anything. I can see a character like Wolverine or Namor and Thor doing this but a human even if he is as strong as Conan shouldn't be able to brush off that kind of damage that easily.
    Aaron also wrote Kazar holding his breath underwater, diving to crushing ocean depths, spying on and getting away from Atlantis without being noticed. *rolls eyes*. So he seems to like making characters like Conan and Kazar super durable.

Honestly the reason why this arc was so good imo was that it did play on the high fantasy underwater elements, old gods, treachery in court etc., and mostly kept Namor underwater. That's what he should be doing in his own book, and the powers that be thinks he doesn't sell because they cant find a place for him on the surface world, how is he going to interact with other heroes/villains, and no one cares about a story set in Atlantis, but a story completely set in Atlantis is just why it would work if Marvel had any faith in Namor and stuck by and supported his book. We already have so many stories running around in the same city/world, finally world building and seeing new and old characters in Atlantis and the oceans would be amazing. An underwater epic!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Aaron also wrote Kazar holding his breath underwater, diving to crushing ocean depths, spying on and getting away from Atlantis without being noticed. *rolls eyes*. So he seems to like making characters like Conan and Kazar super durable.

Honestly the reason why this arc was so good imo was that it did play on the high fantasy underwater elements, old gods, treachery in court etc., and mostly kept Namor underwater. That's what he should be doing in his own book, and the powers that be thinks he doesn't sell because they cant find a place for him on the surface world, how is he going to interact with other heroes/villains, and no one cares about a story set in Atlantis, but a story completely set in Atlantis is just why it would work if Marvel had any faith in Namor and stuck by and supported his book. We already have so many stories running around in the same city/world, finally world building and seeing new and old characters in Atlantis and the oceans would be amazing. An underwater epic!
    I love Aaron for elevating Jane Foster as he did but when he wants to puff up a character he goes overboard and that is not good. Jane should have never been able to surpass Thor's ability with Mjolnir and she does which doesn't makes any sense as Thor has had hundreds of years experience as a warrior. And then the Ka-zar example you name is just ridiculous, the crushing depth of the ocean vs Ka-zar an unhanced human makes it an impossibility and bad writing. Someone can argue that Namor flies with little wings on his feet but that's something we don't have a parallel to compare as he is a new breed never seen in the real world while we know that a human cannot survive without special equipment in space or in the depths of the ocean. Some rules need to keep constant in order for the suspense of disbelief to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I love Aaron for elevating Jane Foster as he did but when he wants to puff up a character he goes overboard and that is not good. Jane should have never been able to surpass Thor's ability with Mjolnir and she does which doesn't makes any sense as Thor has had hundreds of years experience as a warrior. And then the Ka-zar example you name is just ridiculous, the crushing depth of the ocean vs Ka-zar an unhanced human makes it an impossibility and bad writing. Someone can argue that Namor flies with little wings on his feet but that's something we don't have a parallel to compare as he is a new breed never seen in the real world while we know that a human cannot survive without special equipment in space or in the depths of the ocean. Some rules need to keep constant in order for the suspense of disbelief to work.
    I agree with keeping some stuff consistent, and also I feel the issue is more: Writers tend to write the characters they favor in better positions. I'm not sure about how Aaron feels about Namor except through what he has written him as, and of course the upcoming Avengers that will feature him (on the side of bad guys??? :/) But the thing about powersets is that not many characters keep that consistency comic to comic but some things like Conan and Ka-Zar, who are most definitely not supermen, strong men yes, but not supernaturally strong (correct me if I'm wrong because I don't know much about them) shouldn't be able to do stuff like that. I like it when characters have limits or weaknesses because seeing them struggle is so much more interesting then them having convenient "plot device" powers that help things go more smoothly.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    That is EXACTLY the kind of Namor book i would want. The Quest and the Serpent Crown were easily my favorite storylines for SA Namor. I'm not buying monthly books right now, but i would shell out for that in a heartbeat. I've heard a couple interviews with Ralph but he's never mentioned that. I'm not sure how wide of an appeal a book like that would have though.

He's only semi retired. He's actually done some work on the new Conan books. Not sure which ones exactly.
    Didn't know that. I do see Macchio doing introductions and stuff for those over priced Marvel Tales reprints, so he's definitely still available, though more for writing than editing, I'm guessing.

It wasn't in an interview but in one of those Marvel.com articles where they ask one question of whoever they can find in the bullpen at the time. IIRC, the question was something like, "what is your dream project?"

Yes! Most Namor fans would appreciate storylines that focus on him and his underwater world, and there's definitely a market for good and unique fantasy. I think the problem is editorial doesn't care for fantasy so much. They seem to favor noir stories / characters, or at least did until Alonso left. And they've got it into their head that Namor only works when he's a foil for other characters, and interacting with the surface world. Of course, they also think Namor should be covered up, instead of wearing his classic, iconic speedo. I don't think editorial gets Namor, or his fans, at all.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I love Fen and Leonard's love. Its such a tragic tale, especially since Fen never remarried or had anyone else in her life after and still loved her husband even though she thought him dead. It's why I reject the damn Llyron arc so hard. I hate it, I dislike how suddenly Namor had a half brother from his fathers side, and now a grandnephew with Llyron. Like the writers saying Leo just up and had a whole new family and wasn't madly still in love with Fen, even though he spent years trying to get more money to go back to her, losing so much in the process? It's a bad arc, and my least favorite part of the 90s run.

I don't follow alot of artists but the last time I saw Jae Lee interiors was when I got the Namor appearances in the Captain America comic.

One of my all time favorite Jae Lee Namor pages. I'm adding that to the quote list. "I knew of him as PRINCE Namor, but you could see he was a KING amongst men."

I could be wrong, but I think the last interior pages Jae Lee did was the Before Watchmen Ozymandias book -- which was GORGEOUS.

OMG. The Llyron arc was wrong, wrong, wrong, plus a few 1000 more WRONGS. It definitely doesn't exist in my headcanon. What a mess.

Well, we don't know for sure there wasn/t never anyone else in Fen's life ... plus there was that nonsense with Captain Nemo. Something else I just have to ignore. But yes, I tend to believe, and hope they do NOT retcon it, that Leonard was Fen's one true love.

I guess it is to be expected, since Namor's such an old character, that there would be so may retcons that just need to go away. Of course, that's what's fanfic is for, amirite? ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Does anyone have a link or photos of all Namor’s Golden age trunks . Looking for diff colours , styles and belts he may have worn . Thanks

Ed McGuinness has posted another Namor art! Link
    I really think he might be working on a Namor project? Or is this Avengers related?

Screenshot_20200203-234804_Twitter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post
    Does anyone have a link or photos of all Namor’s Golden age trunks . Looking for diff colours , styles and belts he may have worn . Thanks
    Rev's the resident Namor expert! They might have something but it might take me time to track down different styles. I can start looking tomorrow if that's alright.

One of my all time favorite Jae Lee Namor pages. I'm adding that to the quote list. "I knew of him as PRINCE Namor, but you could see he was a KING amongst men."

I could be wrong, but I think the last interior pages Jae Lee did was the Before Watchmen Ozymandias book -- which was GORGEOUS.

OMG. The Llyron arc was wrong, wrong, wrong, plus a few 1000 more WRONGS. It definitely doesn't exist in my headcanon. What a mess.

Well, we don't know for sure there wasn/t never anyone else in Fen's life ... plus there was that nonsense with Captain Nemo. Something else I just have to ignore. But yes, I tend to believe, and hope they do NOT retcon it, that Leonard was Fen's one true love.

I guess it is to be expected, since Namor's such an old character, that there would be so may retcons that just need to go away. Of course, that's what's fanfic is for, amirite? ;p
    Fanfics and headcanons keep fans happy while we wait for Marvel to sort out their nonsense! We need a retcon that Llyrons, McKenzie connection was fake or something fabricated imo, but also happy for Marvel to never bring it up again. That Jae Lee page is one of my all time faves.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post
    That's a lot of swimming trunks.

The microheroes blog is the only place I know of that has a deep collection of Namor's costumes, including a Golden Age section. Of course, these are tiny interpretations of Namor's costumes, but alot of the sprites are named from the stories they come from, if you want to see the original panels. Also check out the 'Divers' section, as it has a lot of the Golden Age costumes / clothes -- trunks or otherwise.

https://marvel-microheroes.fandom.co...amor_McKenzie)

As you can see, he wore a lot of different colors, but blue, red and green seem the most popular. He even wore some with stripes!

There's also this collection of Golden Age Namor's more ... unique outfits.

Last edited by Reviresco; 02-03-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Ed McGuinness has posted another Namor art! Link
    I really think he might be working on a Namor project? Or is this Avengers related?

Screenshot_20200203-234804_Twitter.jpg
    Nice!

I'm pretty sure this is from a future issue of Jason Aarons' Avengers. There's the upcoming solicit with Namor on the cover, along with the rest of the 'villians' Aaron set up like 20 issues, ago?, I get the feeling that the Namor 'arc' is going to get short changed, again, so Aaron can get to the arc he's excited about, the Moon Knight stuff.

But it is nice to see Ed McGuiness, at least, is enjoying Namor.

Astonishing Member

Bottom left...the poofiness of Namor's sleeves (and seriously, what the heck is THAT about in an underwater environment) really draws attention to his lack of pants in that outfit. It also makes his head look oddly small.

It kind of gives the vibe that the outfit was supposed to be a full body outfit, but the tailor screwed up and all the material that was supposed to go into the trousers wound up in the sleeves instead....

Rev's the resident Namor expert! They might have something but it might take me time to track down different styles. I can start looking tomorrow if that's alright.
    More like I'm the oldest Namor fan. LOL!

Fanfics and headcanons keep fans happy while we wait for Marvel to sort out their nonsense! We need a retcon that Llyrons, McKenzie connection was fake or something fabricated imo, but also happy for Marvel to never bring it up again. That Jae Lee page is one of my all time faves.
    I can't think of anything to fix it, as far as the Atlantean's acceptance -- mass delusion?? Llyron and the McKenzies can just be Llyra brainwashing them. So, I'm also happy to have Marvel never bring it up again.