Page 53 of 123 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Heroes Initiative is doing a private, video con panel, sort of, experience with some comic pros. And Chris Zdarsky is doing one! And only for $69!

https://www.heroinitiative.org/merchandise/

Your purchase of this item gets you access to a private, limited 40 minute Q-and-A session with B-level writer and artist CHIP ZDARSKY (Daredevil, Sex Criminals, Spider-Man: Life Story)! Only FIVE people will be part of this session! Will you all become best friends by the end of this? Probably!

Chip is happy to answer any questions about his “process,” his many personal demons, and what Joe Quesada is really like.

This Q-and-A session will take place Thursday, April 16 at 8 p.m. Eastern time via Zoom videoconference (Zoom.us). You must have Zoom downloaded on your device (phone, tablet, or computer) to participate. Full details at Zoom.us. You will receive an invite to the meeting prior to its start.

Only one slot left, if anyone has some extra dollars to donate to a really good cause, Heroes Initiative!

Though, I am miffed that they didn't include Invaders in that description.

There's plenty of other comic professionals listed and some include a sketch!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Hmm, that's a good price for the set! Good find! Thank you, Rev and Happy Easter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Ah yes, I've seen this sequence before! Not too fond of how he draws Namor or the voice he has here.
    A very good price, I thought on that set. I didn't look, but maybe they have a set for the other titles too?

Hey, that's the pretty Jae Lee Namor! ;p

But yes, I thought the voice was ... not as deep as I expect after the classic John Vernon Subby.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Happy Easter all my friends!
    I hope everyone had a good holiday.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    A very good price, I thought on that set. I didn't look, but maybe they have a set for the other titles too?

Hey, that's the pretty Jae Lee Namor! ;p

But yes, I thought the voice was ... not as deep as I expect after the classic John Vernon Subby.

I hope everyone had a good holiday.
    You too! BTW, I sent you a PM when you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You too! BTW, I sent you a PM when you get a chance.
    Hmmm. Didn't get a pop up. Will go look now.

Happy Easter everyone. I haven't been visiting much lately so I have some catching up to do!

Since this involves the first Super-Villain Team-up I thought I would add this here too. Stumbled across this late last night while bored. This is a commission that Esad Ribic did for a fan at the NYCC last fall. Boy, would I love to afford one myself!

The owner's page on comicartfans has some work in progress photos posted too.

Yes, this is a gorgeous piece. Esad Ribic is amazing!

The owner has posted his beautiful Namor collection here, but I think this was the only SVTU / Doom art he had.

Yes, this is a gorgeous piece. Esad Ribic is amazing!

The owner has posted his beautiful Namor collection here, but I think this was the only SVTU / Doom art he had.
    Oh, he posts here? Well if he checks into this thread I offer my congratulations on getting this.

Oh, he posts here? Well if he checks into this thread I offer my congratulations on getting this.
    He posted in the 2019 Namor thread, and shared his amazing collection. His handle was Subby1939.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4688254

He posted in the 2019 Namor thread, and shared his amazing collection. His handle was Subby1939.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4688254
    Wow.....He has a Jim Lee commission too? And he revisited one of my fave Namor looks from Lee's HR Fantastic Four! What a great piece to own.

Wow.....He has a Jim Lee commission too? And he revisited one of my fave Namor looks from Lee's HR Fantastic Four! What a great piece to own.
    YES! Subby1939 has a HIGH QUALITY collection. He also has a Bianchi piece. So jealous. LOL!

This is why I need to get the DVDs of all these movies.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    In the commentary to Civil War, the Russo Brothers revealed that in the early drafts for the script the McGuffin of the film was the Serpent Crown rather than an old Soviet journal. The Serpent Crown is an object of immense power from the comics and has long mythology behind it involving the lost civilization of Lemuria and the Elder God Set who used the Crown to cultivate followers to worship him. Toward that end, the Crown was a powerful mind control weapon, possessing the one who wears it to become a sort of high-priest in Set's service as he enacts his mystical machinations through the will of others.

Of course, that didn't make it into the movie and what fans got were flashbacks to the Memory Suppressing Machine used by Hydra and the journal that activates its key phrases. But tying in the Serpent Crown could have made the mythology of the movie about a million times kookier. To further crank up the kook factor, the Serpent Crown actually would have been an important piece in introducing Namor to the MCU at last, as the object was actually responsible for the amnesia that caused the Sub-Mariner of the comics to lay low between World War II and the modern era.
    https://www.cbr.com/winter-soldier-b...serpent-crown/

That certainly explains the Lemurian Star reference.

I agree, that it would have been a waste of the Serpent Crown, unless they were planning on making an event of it later. While I personally would love for the Serpent Crown to be the big bad backbone of the next ten years, like the Infinity Stones, I doubt that will be happening. Introducing the FF and X-Men will be Feige's priority for the next decade, and I think he's going to go for Secret Wars.

That's not to say, Serpent Crown couldn't be the focus for a movie, or even a phase -- i.e. Eternals. Of course, Marvel has shown lately, they are entirely okay divorcing Namor from the Serpent Crown.

watched a random Namor 60s cartoon today. I'm not sure that I've ever binged-watched all the episodes, as they've come and gone (unofficially, of course) on YouTube over the years. This time around it was The Planet of Doom, To Test a Prince, To Save a Planet Anybody know of what specific issues that this was loosely based on?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    watched a random Namor 60s cartoon today. I'm not sure that I've ever binged-watched all the episodes, as they've come and gone (unofficially, of course) on YouTube over the years. This time around it was The Planet of Doom, To Test a Prince, To Save a Planet Anybody know of what specific issues that this was loosely based on?
    Unlike some of the other episodes, this one wasn't lifted directly from a comic. However, in Sub-Mariner 17, Stalker From the Stars, the plot is very similar. An alien ship comes to earth to set up a machine that will siphon off Earth's oceans and send them across space to their drought stricken planet. Namor is abducted onto the orbiting alien ship, experimented on, but manages to break their machine, and return to Earth.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

This is why I need to get the DVDs of all these movies.

https://www.cbr.com/winter-soldier-b...serpent-crown/

That certainly explains the Lemurian Star reference.

I agree, that it would have been a waste of the Serpent Crown, unless they were planning on making an event of it later. While I personally would love for the Serpent Crown to be the big bad backbone of the next ten years, like the Infinity Stones, I doubt that will be happening. Introducing the FF and X-Men will be Feige's priority for the next decade, and I think he's going to go for Secret Wars.

That's not to say, Serpent Crown couldn't be the focus for a movie, or even a phase -- i.e. Eternals. Of course, Marvel has shown lately, they are entirely okay divorcing Namor from the Serpent Crown.
    Marvel's already proved they are completely ok with divorcing Namor from all of Atlantis *rolls eyes* Yes, I am still mad about Attuma, ATTUMA! taking over Namor's place in the cartoons. Marvel (and DC) continue to use lots of inspiration and ideas from the Namor comics but not the actual character.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Various Namor splash pages:

Alex Schomburg (Marvel Mystery Comics #21, July 1941):

Jack Kirby (Fantastic Four #11, February 1963):

Jack Kirby (Fantastic Four #33, December 1964):

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Gene Colan (Sub-Mariner Special #1, January 1971):

Mike Mignola (Marvel Fanfare #16, September 1984):

Kent Williams (Marvel Fanfare #40, October 1988):