Page 57 of 123 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post
    Something cool to add to my statue displays . Found this on eBay

Nice! I keep meaning to get one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    THIS IS REALLY COOL. I have never seen coin merch like this before for Namor, is there one for Doom? Where does one find stuff like this! I mainly have comics and a few action figures, and a pin, my collection is very small but I hope to grow it in the future!
    There's not a huge amount of Namor merchandise out there, though a good portion of it is the old, Marvel Mania stuff, and thus pricey. Though there appears to be some knock offs / reprints that are more affordable.

No, I don't think there's one for Doctor Doom. There was only a coin for Cap and for Subby, in two collector's set. This coin came out with a VHS set, and IIRC, a Steve Rude print.

... Marvel's Mightiest Super Heroes features: Avengers print signed by Steve Rude, Reprint of Journey Into Mystery Comic Book, Sub-Mariner Collector's Coin Three VHS tapes featuring digitally remastered cartoons from the 60's: The Amazing Spider-Man The Mighty Thor Sub Mariner

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...est-1627446929
    Last edited by Reviresco; 04-21-2020 at 10:51 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post
    So the Duncan Rouleau is a new Commission . He did one similar couple years back. The Alex Ross button I found on google search it was some weird collectables shop in US . Can’t even remember the name of if .
    Yes, I remember the original, which I loved. Yours is much more dynamic, though. It's just gorgeous!

I'll have to get more serious about hunting that one down, then. Of course, I'd love to find the original too.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I wish Marvel would stick to a style with Namor and stop giving him long hair. Namor's short hair and widow's peak had been a staple of the character no matter how many leotards variations he had, he always looked recognizable, lately not so much.
    I see you've been busy. Nicely done, Thor-El! Now, how can we fit this into Namor Week?

I tend to agree. I think Namor should stick with the short, slicked back hair, with the widow's peak. It's iconic. Of course, then we get into with flat-top, triangle head vs the bullet head look. ;p

Of course, even more important to me, is bring back the speedo! We don't need all these new costumes, when Namor has one of the most unique costumes in the MU!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I feel like Marvel gave Namor a more haired/disheveled look, when they want him to be more "villain" ? Maybe I'm reading too much into that but his whole costume change the other year, and the fact he has the shoulder armor again implies that even without the recent writing.
    Hmmm. Could be. Definitely going for the more 'savage' thing back in the 90s. But then there is the awful ponytail look.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I randomly came across this scan and couldn't believe what I was seeing lol. Had the creators here, never heard of Tiger Shark or Punisher before? This is like DareDevil choking out Thor or something.

Retarded and stupid, totally pandering to the popularity of that character without making any sense. When Stan Lee, Roy Thomas or Jim Shooter were in charge that was inconceivable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh good grief. There is no way Punisher physically overpowers Tiger Shark. I'll try and find the source of this panel. The art reminds me of JRjr
    I agree. This is simply ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    UPDATED: This was written by Matt Fraction and the panel appears in Punisher War Journal #15. The son of Kraven the Hunter (who as far as I can tell isn't even given a name) is keeping a menagerie of super-villains with animal-themed powers like Rhino, Vulture, some of the Red Ghost's apes, etc. Punisher is tracking down Kraven's son and ends up getting captured on his freighter docked in the harbor. Kraven's son keeps his menagerie drugged and it makes them more primitive. Punisher is captured while spying on the operation. He's chained in the hold of the ship and Tiger Shark is set loose to kill him. Tiger Shark rips off the Punisher's chains and they start to fight. The drugging makes Tiger Shark pretty much dumbed down so I guess that is the only excuse for him losing. But he's still faster and stronger than Frank even in that state IMO.
    Thank you for researching this scan. Fraction really should have known better -- he's a Namor fan!

If the drug makes Tiger Shark more primitive, he'd be even tougher physically. If they just left it being drugged, i.e. weaker, but like you said, even a drugged Tiger Shark should be much much much more physical than Punisher.

Sadly, Marvel's writers have really trashed Tiger Shark over time and reduced him to just a dumb thug --especially with the weird morphing into more beast than man. He really should be far more scary than many writer treat him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I see you've been busy. Nicely done, Thor-El! Now, how can we fit this into Namor Week?

I tend to agree. I think Namor should stick with the short, slicked back hair, with the widow's peak. It's iconic. Of course, then we get into with flat-top, triangle head vs the bullet head look. ;p

Of course, even more important to me, is bring back the speedo! We don't need all these new costumes, when Namor has one of the most unique costumes in the MU!

Hmmm. Could be. Definitely going for the more 'savage' thing back in the 90s. But then there is the awful ponytail look.
    Yes, he looks definitely more generic without the trunks. That's what distinguishes him from all the other Marvel heroes. Namor without the trunks is like Superman without the cape. And its bullet head for me, the triangle head makes him look weird while the bullet head makes him look tough and badass!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Thank you for researching this scan. Fraction really should have known better -- he's a Namor fan!

If the drug makes Tiger Shark more primitive, he'd be even tougher physically. If they just left it being drugged, i.e. weaker, but like you said, even a drugged Tiger Shark should be much much much more physical than Punisher.

Sadly, Marvel's writers have really trashed Tiger Shark over time and reduced him to just a dumb thug --especially with the weird morphing into more beast than man. He really should be far more scary than many writer treat him.
    Definitely so. Maybe not for solo stories but he would be a good foot soldier type member of a larger group of villains, like the Intelligencia or a reconstituted Masters of Evil. Heck, someone should could up with a new villiian group.

Boisterously Confused

For the life of me, I never understood why Sub-Mariner didn't sell better, especially when edgy, yet (at least, back then) complex characters like Wolverine began their rise in the early 1980s.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    For the life of me, I never understood why Sub-Mariner didn't sell better, especially when edgy, yet (at least, back then) complex characters like Wolverine began their rise in the early 1980s.
    I mean, the 1990 series started by John Byrne lasted 62 issues, which can give an indication of success, no? How many issues does a solo series need to achieve before it’s considered a success?

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Quite liked Alan Davis’ writing for Tarot, including his writing for Namor. Felt like an old comic in a way that also felt refreshing. Wish more Marvel comics would be like this, in a way that doesn’t quite feel darkly gritty, but isn’t humorous parody either.

I love how Val can read Namor's mood. It is a shame they have not had more or current interactions.

I wish Marvel would stick to a style with Namor and stop giving him long hair. Namor's short hair and widow's peak had been a staple of the character no matter how many leotards variations he had, he always looked recognizable, lately not so much.
    Hi Thor-El. I love these Namor images you make. Have you ever thought of doig a Namor VS Thing? or Thor? Those would be neat to see especially since they used to fight a lot years ago.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I love how Val can read Namor's mood. It is a shame they have not had more or current interactions.

Hi Thor-El. I love these Namor images you make. Have you ever thought of doig a Namor VS Thing? or Thor? Those would be neat to see especially since they used to fight a lot years ago.

Thank you Phoenixx9! Not against those two but I'd like to make a Hulk vs Namor slugfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Quite liked Alan Davis’ writing for Tarot, including his writing for Namor. Felt like an old comic in a way that also felt refreshing. Wish more Marvel comics would be like this, in a way that doesn’t quite feel darkly gritty, but isn’t humorous parody either.

Thank you Phoenixx9! Not against those two but I'd like to make a Hulk vs Namor slugfest.
    Oh, I would love to see Hulk! Namor and Hulk used to fight a lot. Namor has also fought Hercules a number of times too,

Mighty Member

Oh, I would love to see Hulk! Namor and Hulk used to fight a lot. Namor has also fought Hercules a number of times too,
    I like two against one fights so perhaps I'll make a Namor vs Hulk & Hercules. I have this idea of a follow up to Tales to Astonish 100 were the Puppet Master recruits Hulk & Hercules to go against Namor since Hulk alone failed the first time and let Namor figure out how to win that one.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Tarot was the first time in a while in which I had read a recently released comic in which I was genuinely fond of the personality of Namor and his interactions, and all Alan Davis really had to do was turn back time about 50 years, to a time when I felt that the Marvel characters weren’t as bitter or cynical as I feel that they are now.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-24-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electr[U
    [/I][/U]icmastro;4943640]Tarot was the first time in a while in which I had read a recently released comic in which I was genuinely fond of the personality of Namor and his intersections, and all Alan Davis really had to do was turn back time about 50 years, to a time when I felt that the Marvel characters weren’t as bitter or cynical as I feel that they are now.
    Yes, I know what you mean. But in addition, I think back then, the characters tended to keep their personalities and character feeling issue-to-issue, in "Team-Ups", Two-In-Ones, etc. Even with different writers, there was usually the same feel. This has not been true for a very long time. Today, every writer does what they want with the character. To me, the vast majority of the MU feel like totally different characters now then they had been in the past.

Boisterously Confused

Yes, I know what you mean. But in addition, I think back then, the characters tended to keep their personalities and character feeling issue-to-issue, in "Team-Ups", Two-In-Ones, etc. Even with different writers, there was usually the same feel. This has not been true for a very long time. Today, every writer does what they want with the character. To me, the vast majority of the MU feel like totally different characters now then they had been in the past.
    Yes. This is one of three main reasons I don't follow Marvel as closely as once I did. Their IPs have become abilities-bearing husks to be pulled over the characters that current writers cast in their stories.