Page 82 of 123 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1840

I'm not really familiar with your background or appreciation of Namor.

What do you want to see? What is the best way to create a Namor book?

Hah! I've been around here a long time. I don't post that often, just when I can and I usually end up disagreeing with the "Big 3" in the group, ImperiusWrecked, Reviresco and Thor-El. Though I may disagree, there's zero ill-will, and I enjoy having discussions here.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Hah! I've been around here a long time. I don't post that often, just when I can and I usually end up disagreeing with the "Big 3" in the group, ImperiusWrecked, Reviresco and Thor-El. Though I may disagree, there's zero ill-will, and I enjoy having discussions here.
    At the risk of disagreeing with you ;p ... I think we do agree on far more than we don't. And you are definitely a great contributor here, as you ask so many thoughtful questions and bring up some great points.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Something else I would like to ask the board: I was recently in discussion with some Namor fans about Namor's speed, we were talking about one of those power grid levels for characters and how low they made Namor in some areas. So exactly how fast is Namor? I don't think it was ever written down in the books how fast he swam underwater but I recall the Black Panther (2009) issue 1, I believe it was, said, Namor was as fast as the Quinjet. What do you all think?
    Ah yes. Those horribly inaccurate power grids.

Yes, that was stated in Black Panther book.

I'm not sure it was stated on panel, but if you look at various things he's done, he's superhumanly fast. In the older comics, it was repeatedly stated that superheroes were constantly underestimating how fast Namor was.

Create whirlpools.
    Spin fast enough to drill through the earth.
    Out swim torpedoes.
    Catch missiles.

Then consider, that's underwater. A much denser atmosphere that actually slows down movement. Out of the water, he should be even faster.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Too many people are arguing details about how to bring Dorma back, which isn't the point, but why to bring her back. To quote a certain Dr. Malcolm : "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

What does it do, besides reset a very old status quo and stir up nostalgia? Not only does bringing her back take away some of Namor's depth as a character but it also robs Llyra of her evil claim to fame and motivation for the two characters to keep on hating each other. Llyra was able to accomplish something so few villains get to do, have lasting impact against the hero. Almost all villain antics are forgotten by the next time you see them, but not that one. Dorma's death is the only reason we see Llyra as a classic, top Namor villain. I certainly don't remember her for Atlantis Attacks.

Also, Namora was brought back, Namorita was brought back, Marrina was brought back, Vashit was brought back, Namor himself on multiple occasions was brought back, even Fen was brought back. Fen especially was dug up for shock value only to be tortured and killed again. Suma-Ket was a good enough villain without all that.

I understand that new characters have been created and forgotten, this has more to do with Namor's inability to hold an ongoing book with an ongoing creative team. It's very difficult to make characters stick if you have nowhere to stick them. But the answer isn't dragging up any and all characters from the past simply because we remember them. The answer is Namor needs a goddamned ongoing.
    YES! See? We all agree on that.

A valid question. There's various reasons why I want Dorma back.

She's a strong character who gave Namor, and everyone else around her, a difficult time. I mean, look at the wringer she put Krang through! I love Namor and Emma together, because they both can be so snarky. Dorma was somewhat similar, but more ... lethal. And she has the added advantage of NOT being unobtainable. Unlike Emma or Sue, Namor wouldn't be a victim of romantic triangle plot device.

I don't necessarily want Namor and Dorma to immediately return to their old status quo, i.e. married. In fact, I would love to see her be a giant monkey wrench in Namor's love life / political marriage. That's a story I'd like to see Marvel address. Atlantis needs a queen, and an heir. It's long past time for Namor to address that, whether he marries for love or not.

I don't think it takes away from Namor's character by resurrecting Dorma. The writers already sort of did that, or more precisely, Byrne did that, by having Namor move on and marry Marrina.

If you do digital at Comixology, Marvel is giving away most of the Black Panther books. Yes, FREE! There's a few Namor guest appearances there, including Christopher Priest's Sturm and Drang arc. I'll try to post a list tomorrow.

But if you know the issues, grab them, because I don't know how long the giveway will last.

Also, don't forget, this is coming out tomorrow!

Don't forget! This is coming out tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/heroescave/statu...04079778598912

Mighty Member

Expected behavior from a Doombot. Its part of his master's plan to make Namor wear granny panties and keep him away from his beloved Dorma.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    If you do digital at Comixology, Marvel is giving away most of the Black Panther books. Yes, FREE! There's a few Namor guest appearances there, including Christopher Priest's Sturm and Drang arc. I'll try to post a list tomorrow.

But if you know the issues, grab them, because I don't know how long the giveway will last.
    Oh boy, I feel nauseous! Oh! The gluttony! You just made me purchase 784 free comics, most of which I'll probably never read. Lots of Namor appearances. Now I need a vacation to browse thru them.

Mighty Member

I'll have to plug the fantastic work at the MARVEL A DAY Project https://twitter.com/MarvelADayProj I'm finally reading the Sub-mariner Silver Age in order. They have just started with Tales to Astonish Namor's first solo series. I'm having a great time following along with these folks at night and rewatching the 60s cartoons whenever they hit a particular story. My birthday is tomorrow so I'll probably make the family watch a 60s Marvel cartoon with me. Introduce my daughter and her boyfriend to the wonders of Marvel's Atlantis or Kirby's Thor.

Last edited by Thor-El; 09-09-2020 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added pics

Sincerely, I know your name, but probably didn't notice how often you post and where. It is selective on my part, because I tend to be like/follow "the big 3". But certain writers appreciate characters the way I do, so I tend to glom on them more. CJ Striker, ?/sic, with Wanda. Crimz and other admirers of Sue or the FF.

Yesterday I tried to bop through the pages of this forum looking for your posts to see what I might like or think about, but I only randomly hit every 9 or 10 pages so I didn't seem to come across anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Don't forget! This is coming out tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/heroescave/statu...04079778598912

I look at that face and say "How could Sue not fall in love with that?" < ducks for cover!>

A cover for Atlantis Attacks #5. Not sure how I feel about this. Or if this is only a variant that has nothing to do with the series? Doesn't sound exactly like that... More here:

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/09/09/at...gulayan-cover/

Carlo Pagulayan does do a nice Namor, though.

Mighty Member

Speaking of John Byrne. He has been working on his original story for the ending of the Phoenix Saga that was changed by Shooter's editorial. this as a fan fiction of his. So far the story is fantastic and the last couple pages have a Namor guest star. Its like going back to his X-Men, really great work!

http://m.byrnerobotics.com/forum/for...asp?FID=6&PN=1