Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    My point is if this "division" of abilities doesn't exist, people wouldn't say the Robins are taking from each other.

They would just accept accept Dick could be good on tech and Tim could be pretty athletic.

However, fans divide the Robin in abilities, because the characters could feel redundant if they don't especialize on something.
    Most of them aren't even Robin so why do they have to feel redundant? It's not like they're wearing the same costume at the same time

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Huh? MARVEL owns that name. It's Falcon's bird.
    I guess neither has it trademarked since they both concurrently used them.

It's available/free to obtain by either: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...h=Submit+Query

I guess neither company cares about spending money on fictional pets and characters that haven't seen print in over twenty years.
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 09-11-2020 at 03:35 PM.

I should mention this happened in Pre-New52 too. I remember Batman mentioned the "division" of abilities between Tim and Dick in Red Robin (the issue about the return of Bruce Wayne).

I read they started to "divide" abilities when Tim and Dick get solos, because they want to differentiate the characters.

Now, it isn't just DC, fans are used to divide the abilities of the characters too. That's why when Dick started to use tech and computers in YJ, fans say he was taking from Tim.
    I think it really kicked into overdrive when Jason came back. Before that there was The Robin that grew up, The dead Robin that isn't relevant, and the one that learned from both their mistakes. The ideal Robin, the 'partner'. The one who never wanted to be anything more than 'and Robin.'

Once you had all three running around and then Damian came in... it was a lot harder to differentiate them without pigeonholeing them. I also hate the idea of things 'coming naturally'. Tim was a GREAT fighter. He wasn't a born fighter... NONE of the Robins were. But he was trained by Batman AND Shiva and took down some SERIOUS heavy hitters very early in his career. The key to Tim was that he was 'the everyman'. He had all the skills of the other Robins, but we were on the ground floor watching him EARN those skills through training and hard work that tended to get glossed over with all the others... Damian included. Even the flashbacks showed Bruce pushing Dick and Jason HARD through some serious serious training. Dick was an acomplished acrobat as a child... but Bruce made him BETTER and pushed him harder than the circus EVER did.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Pre-52, I disagree. He had plenty of good showings as a detective, especially in his solo. It wasn't until the New-52 where Tim was given the whole 'Best Detective' of the Robin's with no real showings to back it. Pre-52 he was stated as having the most potential to become the greatest detective of his peers, not that he was.

An example being where Tim deduced Huntress's true identity.

Attachment 100467

I have plenty of issues showcasing Tim's detective skills pre-52
    I know that Tim has Detective skills and I've him solving cases like all the other Robins. What I meant is that for someone who is called The Detective he does not that the others don't do or solving huge mysteries like Holmes. He is a detective.

I should have said that Dick has stories and cases like The Black Mirror.

I'm also not a fan of tagging the Robins with One particular skill or trait hey are all multi talented.

It diminishes the characters. I especially hate 'Robins as the TMNT' and the 'Robins as representation of Batman's...'thread's and post's That some fans are so fond of.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I know that Tim has Detective skills and I've him solving cases like all the other Robins. What I meant is that for someone who is called The Detective he does not that the others don't do or solving huge mysteries like Holmes. He is a detective.

I should have said that Dick has stories and cases like The Black Mirror.

I'm also not a fan of tagging the Robins with One particular skill or trait hey are all multi talented.

It diminishes the characters. I especially hate 'Robins as the TMNT' and the 'Robins as representation of Batman's...'thread's and post's That some fans are so fond of.
    In your post you made it sound as if Tim had 'zero' in comic showings as a detective and seemed to highly allude to him being less than mediocre in that department, when that's not the case. Was not trying to draw comparisons with others, not the point of my response. As I too noted in my other post, both Dick and Jason are stellar detectives,as is Damian who has one of the sharpest minds of the bunch in multiple fields. If anyone comes close to Bruce with all things considered it would be Damian/only Babs would beat him out if we're talking the fam as a whole.

I agree with your last point, pretty sure that's how we all feel.

Yeah, Jason coming back probably muddled things the most. It made DC change all of the Robins’ ages. They constantly want to have Jason be closer in age to Dick even though he should be closer in age to Tim realistically. So they deage Dick and strip him of his history and experience to keep him close to Jason’s age and allow Bruce to be younger, and then Tim is kind of stuck being 16-18 with Jason being in that next age range. Then with Damian being aged up more and more Tim is being squeezed out. So they buff up Tim’s abilities to compensate with him having even less experience and you run into him losing that “everyman” type more.

With trying to force the Robins into these very basic categories really undermines a lot of their history. Like calling Tim the best detective or Dick the best acrobat is overlooking a lot of their personal history. What does being the best acrobat even mean? He can do flips really well? Lets say that Dick became Robin at 12 pre-New 52 and was in his late 20s, like 28, before the reboot. That would mean Dick had 16 years of experience as a hero. That is 16 years of training to be a fighter and detective. He’s been training at that longer than he had been in the circus. His fighting experience is probably longer than Jason, Tim’s and Damian’s combined. That history should matter. They can all be great fighters and detectives without the need to undermine the abilities of the others. It gets very frustrating and really shapes how many in the general fandom look at them unfortunately too.

Incredible Member

Bendis’ 1027 Tec story has Tim as Red Robin. But Jason is in his Rebirth suit and Batgirl is in Burnside suit so not sure about when this takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Bendis’ 1027 Tec story has Tim as Red Robin. But Jason is in his Rebirth suit and Batgirl is in Burnside suit so not sure about when this takes place.
    Anniversary anthology tends to be vague like that. Officially Dick has never been depicted in his classic costume in Rebirth but he tends to wear those in anniversary stories.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Anniversary anthology tends to be vague like that. Officially Dick has never been depicted in his classic costume in Rebirth but he tends to wear those in anniversary stories.
    he’s in his YJ gear for Batman 99 but still going by Red Robin. All in all looks like his YJ and Rebirth suit fused (YJ upper body/ Rebirth lower body).

Astonishing Member

he’s in his YJ gear for Batman 99 but still going by Red Robin. All in all looks like his YJ and Rebirth suit fused (YJ upper body/ Rebirth lower body).
    Red Robin?

I hadn't read Batman 99 yet, but I was expecting Drake (since he was called that way in Nightwing).

Incredible Member

Red Robin?

I hadn't read Batman 99 yet, but I was expecting Drake (since he was called that way in Nightwing).
    Yep posted it on reddit. Nothing spoilerish at all. This picture was already released 2 months ago but now the editorial notes are
    There.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...tm_name=iossmf

Astonishing Member

Yep posted it on reddit. Nothing spoilerish at all. This picture was already released 2 months ago but now the editorial notes are
    There.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...tm_name=iossmf
    Thank you.

I guess it is like the first issues of YJ where Tim is Red Robin in a Robin suit.

You mean both are Robin costume but Young Justice version top (one R) and Detective Comics version bottom (I don't remember the difference)?

I can't open Reddit, it's banned in my country

Incredible Member

You mean both are Robin costume but Young Justice version top (one R) and Detective Comics version bottom (I don't remember the difference)?

Like the upper body has the 3 buttons with the cape connection that the YJ Tim has. Only 1 R and the elbow pads/gauntlets/shoulder pads are from the YJ version. His lower body isn’t like the YJ version as he has protection green boot armor that goes up to his knees.

Here’s the picture I’m referencing: https://insidepulse.com/wp-content/u...Spoilers-D.jpg

Astonishing Member

It is the Robin suit that Tim has been using in Joker War (and YJ #18).

The image has the Batfamily members and their identities are written in boxes along them.

Along Tim appear a box with the name Red Robin.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-14-2020 at 10:32 PM.