Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I agreed but Bendis introduced it so clumsily. maybe he thought it was funny??? The only thing I despise is the color of the costume, it's like brown is the most forgettable color ever, the design wasn't bad, I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazai_Osamu View Post
    I agreed but Bendis introduced it so clumsily. maybe he thought it was funny??? The only thing I despise is the color of the costume, it's like brown is the most forgettable color ever, the design wasn't bad, I liked it.
    I reminded me too much to Talon, they should have made something more unique if they want him to stand out.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Honestly, I'm not so sure DC is so interested in Tim as Robin.

The variant covers for Detective Comics #1027 has totally ignored Tim. There are variant covers where Batman is along Dick, Barbara, Damian, Kate and Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Drake was a step in the right direction, but fans complained.
    Conceptually it was a step in the right direction, but they bungled it with a silly codename and a boring costume.

If we're being honest, Nightwing wasn't that great of a name or a suit from the getgo. But costume evolved over time and the name solidified itself. The same could have been the case for Drake. I liked it at least
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    If we're being honest, Nightwing wasn't that great of a name or a suit from the getgo. But costume evolved over time and the name solidified itself. The same could have been the case for Drake. I liked it at least
    It was never gonna stop being his last name. People call characters by their last name plenty. It's close to not having a super hero identity at all.

Yeah, unless Tim's adoption was back in continuity and Tim's civilian name was Tim WAYNE (as it was before Flashpoint), Drake being his superhero name makes no sense, for that reason. In the latest issue of Young Justice, someone called Tim "Drake"... and Batman promptly called "Robin" over for a chat. We didn't see what they said to each other but it was obvious Bruce wasn't impressed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Tim decided to be Robin temporarily at first. What changed his mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Tim decided to be Robin temporarily at first. What changed his mind?
    The death of his parents, after that i think he is pretty insecure about where he wants his life to go, so he cling to the Robin role as lifeline.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Eh, I think you’d have to add in some consternation and objection from people who *did* like the Red Robin ID and costume, and would find the Drake ID a bad comparison. *Especially* if we’re talking about the Red Robin solo version of the ID, with the Alex Ross and Alex Ross-derivative costumes. And since that ID and solo came to an end through a reboot and a rejection by editorial and creative of that version of the character for flimsy and bad reasons.

And that’s a comparison that runs into some weird similarities in debates. I mean, in a weird way, Red Robin and Drake have similar weaknesses as names in that they don’t really seem to be dramatic changes for Tim - one’s just adding an adjective to his heroic ID (*Red* Robin) and the other’s just his last name (Drake) - and they’re both a little dampened by the outside context - the Red Robin restaurant chain and male ducks.

And the Alex Ross Red Robin suit vs Drake costume has a similar debate as well - both costumes have very strong Robin-like designs, but with one major difference - the Red Robin suit has a cowl, and the Drake suit is brown. Heck, even both differences have been mocked - the cowl leads to the “condom head” or “Dr. Midnight” comparisons, while brown leads to... well, the expected comparisons.

Personally, I just think that a brown color scheme is worse than a cowl, a duck so more groan-worthy than a restaurant chain, and that Bendis handled the transition and reveal a lot worse than Yost and Nicieza.

...Although, if the Drake name were explained as a draconian reference, and they used the cowled costume, I think that could actually work.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Maybe it's because it's too ingrained in my head but I think "Nightwing" sounds a lot cooler and more versatile than Drake, and that's not even getting into how using his last name as a codename just seems unoriginal.

Nightwing was also a lead in the most popular DC ongoing in the 80s, Drake is part of a title whose reception has been lukewarm at best.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Do Tim and Black Canary know each other's secret identities? They have the same surname - is it possible that Dinah is related to Tim?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    The death of his parents, after that i think he is pretty insecure about where he wants his life to go, so he cling to the Robin role as lifeline.
    That's already pretty long... a few years in wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That's already pretty long... a few years in wasn't it?
    To be fair, i think that what i said mostly applied to Tim right before the reboot. Current Tim is more dificult to pinpoint (i'm not counting Lodbell's take because that is a different characther when you get down to it) because we really don't get too much into his head, rigth now he really loves Steph and wants to spend as much time as he can with his YJ friends, so i guest that you could argue that he doesn't really care much about his superhero identity as much as he does about keeping his loved ones close.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona