Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

I think Tim's issue was he outgrew his original niche as everyman/rookie but no one figured what his next role should be. Damian and the characters that came after in the new 52 excarbated the issue.

So its gonna be a lot of experimenting and guesswork to figure out what to do with him next.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-03-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think Tim's issue was he outgrew his original niche as everyman/rookie but no one figured what his next role should be. Damian and the characters that came after in the new 52 excarbated the issue.

So its gonna be a lot of experimenting and guesswork to figure out what to do with him next.
    The Chris Yost/Fabian Nicieza “Journeyman international adventurer/chessmaster” niche worked pretty well towards the end of his Robin run and his Red Robin run... and that was with Damian as the new Robin.

The only problem I see with that niche was that when Dick got kicked back down to Nightwing, Didio and co. might have deluded themselves into thinking they couldn’t have two promoted Robins operating as solo heroes, but Tim’s status quo was different enough that it could have been preserved while they looked for a new one for Dick back in Nightwing.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

There's a germ of a really fantastic redesign of the Pre-Flashpoint Red Robin costume in that image. I'd love to see Mora take a crack at it, using this as his starting point.

Tim still probably needs a new name, I'll never be convinced Red Robin will work long term. But the suit itself could be made to look amazing. Even Marcus To's initial streamlining back during Tim's solo Red Robin series was pretty great. And it beats that gray and brown nonsense Bendis put him in.

Honestly since Rebirth Tim just got crappy costumes, he got a Robin suit with two R in Tec and then he got something from Talon's closet. At least the wing suit was unique, nothing beat Marcus To Red Robin thougth.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The Chris Yost/Fabian Nicieza “Journeyman international adventurer/chessmaster” niche worked pretty well towards the end of his Robin run and his Red Robin run... and that was with Damian as the new Robin.

The only problem I see with that niche was that when Dick got kicked back down to Nightwing, Didio and co. might have deluded themselves into thinking they couldn’t have two promoted Robins operating as solo heroes, but Tim’s status quo was different enough that it could have been preserved while they looked for a new one for Dick back in Nightwing.
    Yeah. They probably feel Nightwing and Red Robin will be too similar concepts (since both are promoted Robin). That's why they try to put Tim in Teen Titans

To be fair, I think they really try to promote Teen Titans in New52 (it was the face of the young heroes line at that time). The big mistake was put Lobdell there.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Yeah. They probably feel Nightwing and Red Robin will be too similar concepts (since both are promoted Robin). That's why they try to put Tim in Teen Titans

To be fair, I think they really try to promote Teen Titans in New52 (it was the face of the young heroes line at that time). The big mistake was put Lobdell there.
    And Pfeifer didn't do a much better job, that vol 5 lost direction after DCYou.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Amazing Member

I hated New 52 Teen Titans, it was one of the greatest examples of character assassination I have read, nobody was safe there. I agree Red Robin wasn't forever but the colors could be used for a new identity.

Mighty Member

Actually I was a big fan of Red Robin...

Now going back to simply Robin is just go a HUGE step back, but I expected it from YJ...

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

spoilers:
    so in the new young justice issue, was Tim being told to become Robin again?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Actually I was a big fan of Red Robin...

Now going back to simply Robin is just go a HUGE step back, but I expected it from YJ...
    Depends how you look at it. Tim only ever did want to be Robin.

Tim as Robin isn't a regression/step back when you consider that his last given age was 16. Technically if we go by Rebirth Tec Tim came into this game 3 years ago. 4 max if you allow for passing of time since Rebirth Tec.

Going back to Robin is better than Drake and much better than Saviour the Batman antagonist which was Tynion big longterm vision for FutureTim

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think so. Batman was probably annoyed when he heard one of the other team members call him Drake in earshot of a civilian (Yolanda). He didn't look happy, called him Robin, and they had a chat that the readers weren't privy to. I bet Tim discusses it with Steph next issue, and then he'll be back in the red and green.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I hope that's not the case. If this turns out to be the reason he becomes Robin again, its lame af

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dazai_Osamu View Post
    I hated New 52 Teen Titans, it was one of the greatest examples of character assassination I have read, nobody was safe there. I agree Red Robin wasn't forever but the colors could be used for a new identity.
    I'd argue that Tim and the rest of his generation were character assassinated before New 52 Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I hope that's not the case. If this turns out to be the reason he becomes Robin again, its lame af
    The only reason why Tim goes back to being Robin is because fan backlash towards the 'Drake' codename(I actually liked this change), any other explanation is an excuse to justify the backtracking.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The only reason why Tim goes back to being Robin is because fan backlash towards the 'Drake' codename(I actually liked this change), any other explanation is an excuse to justify the backtracking.
    Oh, this is disappointing.

Grayson and Todd moved on...Why can't Drake?

I have suddenly lost all interest in YJ.