Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Alternate designs for Young Justice Drake.
    where are these from?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Preview for next week's Young Justice issue: http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.p...07&postcount=1

Tim is still called drake so far and is in that costume, so whatever batman told Tim last issue didn't lead to him changing costumes yet. I have to assume this happens later in the issue or it'll be very weird if they are just start having Tim go by robin with a costume change without any on screen reason for it.
    In Nightwing #73, it is pretty weird because Tim is still under Drake alias in the Robin suit. I suspect he will be in this situation during Joker War arc.

It is possible Tim will change his new suit for the Robin suit, but he will mantain the Drake alias.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-28-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Wow. So much better than the brown.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Wow. So much better than the brown.
    Well, F is brown too. That's likely the orihin of the color.

I like the C one.

Extraordinary Member

I can see why he got the final costume; not because I think the final costume is good but because several of these are nice to look at but still basically either Robin redesigns or Nightwing costumes. They look good but don’t make a dynamic new look for the character.

Pretty much the entire top row feels like how someone would redesign Robin to include more somber black but retain enough of the red and green to be recognizable, while G honestly is for all intents and purposes just a Young Justice Nightwing suit with red instead of blue. H and I aren’t bad either, but here, they look like adaptations of the New 52 Red Robin layout in a more muted color scheme and without the wings.

I’d say the bulk of these *do* look better than the Drake look... but all a bit limited in terms of sending a message about him becoming more than Robin. The idea of him being “Nightwing Red” to Dick’s “Nightwing Blue” could work best, perhaps, but also backs up the derivative look problem that he would ave with a more Robin-based look.

I still think the Marcus To-drawn streamlined Red Robin suit based off the Alex Ross design is the best combination of dynamic new look woth recognize features, even if it’s still not perfect. I mean, it is for all intents and purposes just a “grown up” Robin costume... but adding the cowl changes the whole profile of the look and makes it distinct when matched with the other Robin - Dick’s in blue and Black, Jason has the helmet and jacket, and Damian is Robin with a hood, while Tim’s the cowl guy.

I get the “condom head” and “Dr. Midnight” jokes... but I still don’t see better costume submitted yet for making certain Tim looks graduated but unique compared to his brothers.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I can see why he got the final costume; not because I think the final costume is good but because several of these are nice to look at but still basically either Robin redesigns or Nightwing costumes. They look good but don’t make a dynamic new look for the character.

Pretty much the entire top row feels like how someone would redesign Robin to include more somber black but retain enough of the red and green to be recognizable, while G honestly is for all intents and purposes just a Young Justice Nightwing suit with red instead of blue. H and I aren’t bad either, but here, they look like adaptations of the New 52 Red Robin layout in a more muted color scheme and without the wings.

I’d say the bulk of these *do* look better than the Drake look... but all a bit limited in terms of sending a message about him becoming more than Robin. The idea of him being “Nightwing Red” to Dick’s “Nightwing Blue” could work best, perhaps, but also backs up the derivative look problem that he would ave with a more Robin-based look.

I still think the Marcus To-drawn streamlined Red Robin suit based off the Alex Ross design is the best combination of dynamic new look woth recognize features, even if it’s still not perfect. I mean, it is for all intents and purposes just a “grown up” Robin costume... but adding the cowl changes the whole profile of the look and makes it distinct when matched with the other Robin - Dick’s in blue and Black, Jason has the helmet and jacket, and Damian is Robin with a hood, while Tim’s the cowl guy.

I get the “condom head” and “Dr. Midnight” jokes... but I still don’t see better costume submitted yet for making certain Tim looks graduated but unique compared to his brothers.
    If we're working under the belief that a Tim identity should reference how important the Robin identity is to him, I don't think being evocative of the Robin looks is a bad thing.

What they ended up with pretty much put the kibbosh on the idea of an "original" look in my mind. They were trying to go for a Nightwing and it just didn't seem to click.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If we're working under the belief that a Tim identity should reference how important the Robin identity is to him, I don't think being evocative of the Robin looks is a bad thing.

What they ended up with pretty much put the kibbosh on the idea of an "original" look in my mind. They were trying to go for a Nightwing and it just didn't seem to click.
    I get that. It’s just hard to top “Red Robin” and the cowl look as the referencing-Robin idea, since it’s still in his name, and basically juts the OYL suit with black pants and a cowl.

I’d also agree that the final Drake look clearly is trying for Nightwing... but I still don’t get the brown. Jason could make a brown leather jacket work because it was a leather jacket. Wolverine had a decent brown and good look for a while, but even that looks a bit... I don’t know, 70’s shag carpet compared to other costumes.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Instead of red they should've put emphasis on green. It won't look like a green lantern if it's just black with green bat or bird symbol. No one in the fam has green bat or bird symbol.

Amazing Member

A, B, C, E and H without brown were nice ideas, E was better than the final suit, it's still brown but it looks better.

I honestly still kind of hope he goes back to the pre-flashpoint Red Robin suit, it looked really good and was definitely distinct from the Robin suit

3E372D56-DC2A-4207-8863-86A4C88A23C2.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I honestly still kind of hope he goes back to the pre-flashpoint Red Robin suit, it looked really good and was definitely distinct from the Robin suit

3E372D56-DC2A-4207-8863-86A4C88A23C2.jpg
    I dislike the costume and I really dislike the name Red Robin. Black Robin would be better. Many names would be better.

Also, there are all sorts of alternate Robin costumes.

If Tim and Damian share the Robin identity, then let them look different.

Last edited by scary harpy; 08-29-2020 at 06:38 PM.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I liked the RR suit with the wings. 'The Showgirl' It was unique. Drake looks too much like Nightwing-lite.

The winged costume was dramatic, memorable and it had additional uses. It could glide I believe,

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I know it's not a popular opinion but I liked the RR suit with the wings. 'The Showgirl' It was unique. Drake looks too much like Nightwing-lite.

The winged costume was dramatic, memorable and it had additional uses. It could glide I believe,
    and a weapon and bulletproof

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    and a weapon and bulletproof
    I liked the winged suit. With some different colors, Tim could have his own look.