Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast

Cool Logan: Wolverine Appreciation 2020

Happy New Year to everyone and welcome to the Wolverine Appreciation Thread!!!

Let's start with a recommended reading list of the best stories with the Ol' Canucklehead:

Solo adventures

- Marvel Comics Present Vol.1 #72-84 "Weapon X" by Barry Windsor Smith. The story of how Logan got his famous adamantium skeleton and claws. The Best Wolverine story ever told in my opinion.

- Wolverine Vol.1 #1-4 + Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #172-173 by Chris Claremont, Frank Miller & Paul Smith. The first Wolverine mini and its followup, the tragic story of Wolverine and Mariko and the start of Wolverine's Japanese adventures.

- Marvel Comics Presents Vol.1 #1-10 + Wolverine Vol.2 #1-30 by Chris Claremont, Peter David, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy, John Buscema, John Byrne, Klaus Janson & Bill Sienkiewicz. The start of the Wolverine ongoing with several stories that take place in the lawless island of Madripoor, really enjoyable. Wolverine Vol.2 #10 is a Must-Read!

- Wolverine: The Jungle Adventure by Walter Simonson & Mike Mignola. Wolverine goes to the Savage Land to stop a classic foe of the X-Men from destroying it.

- Wolverine Vol.2 #31-57 by Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri. The most popular run on the character. Issues #34 & #57 are a Must-Read!

- Wolverine Vol.2 #75-90 + X-Men Vol.2 #25 + Cable Vol 1 #16 by Larry Hama, Adam Kubert, Fabian Nicieza, Andy Kubert, Steve Skroce and many more great artists. Wolverine loses his healing factor, his adamantium skeleton and claws, he then goes on a world tour and faces his greatest foes. Really good stuff!

- Wolverine Vol 2 #-1 by Larry Hama & Cary Nord. A great issue set just after Logan was found by James "Mac" Hudson and his wife Heather after his escape from the Weapon X compound.

- Wolverine Vol.2 #119-122 "Not Dead Yet" by Warren Ellis & Leinil Francis Yu. Wolverine faces the greatest hitman that ever lived.

- Wolverine Vol.2 #150-153 "Blood Debt" by Steve Skroce. Logan, Amiko & Yukio Japanese adventures.

- Wolverine Vol.2 #159-176 & #181-185 by Frank Tieri, Sean Chen & Dan Fraga. One of the best modern run on the character and a good starting point for new readers. "The Logan Files" (issues #173-176) is one of the best Wolverine story ever written!

- Wolverine Vol.3 #1-19 by Greg Rucka, Darick Robertson & Leandro Fernandez. A much more grounded run but it's still really good. Issue #6 is a Must-Read if you're a fan of the Wolverine & Nightcrawler's friendship!

- Wolverine Vol.3 #20-32 by Mark Millar, John Romita Jr & Kaare Andrew. The "Enemy of the State" blockbuster storyline that put Wolverine against the heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe, one of the most popular Wolverine story ever!
    The last issue is the famous "Prisoner Number Zero" story, a flashback set during WWII in the Sobibor camp, it's different in tone compared to the previous issues but it's still amazing and a really powerful story.

- Wolverine Vol.3 #56, #62-65, #73-74 (backup stories), Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #1-4, Wolverine: Weapon X Vol.1 #1-16, Wolverine Vol.4 #1-20 & Wolverine Vol.2 #300-304 by Jason Aaron and many great artists. A great modern run by Jason Aaron.

Team books

- Giant Size X-Men Vol.1 #1 by Len Wein & Dave Cockrum. Wolverine meets Professor Xavier and joins the X-Men.

- Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #133, #205, #213, #251 & #268, Annual #11 + Classic X-Men Vol.1 #10 by Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Barry Windsor Smith, Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Alan Davis & John Bolton.
    Almost all the Wolverine-centric issues from Chris Claremont's first X-Men run and they're all amazing.

- Fantastic Four Vol.1 #347-349 by Walter Simonson & Art Adams. Wolverine, Spider-Man, Hulk and Ghost Rider are now the new Fantastic Four!

- X-Men Vol.2 #4-7 by Jim Lee, John Byrne & Scott Lobdell. Wolverine vs. Omega Red and the origins of Team X.

- X-Men Vol. 2 #70-79 by Joe Kelly, Joe Casey, Carlos Pacheco, Germán Garcia, Mat Broome & Jeff Johnson. "Will Marrow, Maggott and Dr. Cecilia Reyes usher in a new golden era for the X-Men? As Cyclops and Phoenix retire from the team, it's left to Wolverine to make sure they do!"

- New X-Men Vol.1 #114-154 + Annual #2001 by Grant Morrison and many great artists. The wildly innovative Grant Morrison X-Men run! Issue #148 is a Must-Read!

- Uncanny X-Force Vol.1 #1-35 + #5.1 + #19.1 by Rick Remender, Jerome Opeña, Phil Noto and many great artists. The Rick Remender's extraordinary, critically acclaimed Uncanny X-Force run. "The Apocalypse Solution" & "The Dark Angel Saga" (issues #1-18) are among the greatest X-Men stories ever told!

- Wolverine and the X-Men Vol.1 #1-42 + Annual #1 by Jason Aaron and many great artists. Welcome to the Jean Grey's School for Gifted Youngsters. Hope you survive the experience! Issues #1-8, #17 & #39-40 are the best ones.

- Amazing X-Men Vol. 2 #1-6 by Jason Aaron, Ed McGuinness & Cameron Stewart. Wolverine and the X-Men are going on a quest to find and bring back the fan-favorite fuzzy blue elf!

- House of X/Powers of X by Jonathan Hickman, Pepe Larraz & R.B Silva. The reinvention of the X-Men by Jonathan Hickman.

- X-Men Vol.5 by Jonathan Hickman, Leinil Francis Yu, R.B Silva & Mahmud Asrar. "The X-Men find themselves in a whole new world of possibility... and things have never been better!"

- X-Force Vol.6 by Benjamin Percy & Joshua Cassara. "X-Force is now the C.I.A of the mutant world. In a perfect world, there would be no need for an X-Force. We’re not there…yet.”

Team-Ups/Versus

- The Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #180-182 by Len Wein & Herb Trimpe. The first appearances of Wolverine and his first fight with the Hulk and the Wendigo.

- Kitty Pryde and Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Chris Claremont & Al Milgrom. The second Wolverine mini, where Logan trains his first sidekick Kitty Pryde a.k.a Shadowcat and faces his master: Lord Ogun.

- The Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #340 by Peter David & Todd McFarlane. The rematch between Wolverine & Hulk!

- Spider-Man versus Wolverine #1 by Christopher Priest & Mark Bright. During the Cold War, Wolverine and Spider-Man go to Germany to save Logan's friend, the spy named Charlemagne, but things don't go as planned resulting in an epic fight between the two most popular Marvel superheroes.

- Wolverine Annual Vol.2 #1996 by Joe Kelly & Tommy Lee Edwards. A beautiful story starring Amiko and Wolverine.

- Wolverine: First Class Vol.1 #1-2 by Fred Van Lente & Andrea Di Vito. A modern retelling of Wolverine & Shadowcat early adventures together.

- Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Jason Aaron & Adam Kubert. A really fun time travelling adventure with Spider-Man and Wolverine.

- Wolverine and Jubilee Vol.1 #1-4 by Kathryn Immonen & Phil Noto. A really good story starring Wolverine and Jubilee.

- Deadpool Vol.3 #15-19 "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" by Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan & Declan Shalvey. A powerful story starring Deadpool, Wolverine and Captain America.

Alternate versions

- Weapon X Vol.1 #1-4 by Larry Hama & Adam Kubert. Wolverine & Jean Grey adventures during the Age of Apocalypse.

- Ultimate X-Men Vol.1 #41 by Brian Michael Bendis & David Finch. A powerful story set in the the Ultimate Universe.

- Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk Vol.1 #1-6 by Damon Lindelof & Leinil Francis Yu. The title says it all!

- Wolverine Vol.3 #66-72 + Giant Size Old Man Logan #1 "Old Man Logan" by Mark Millar & Steve McNiven. The all-time classic Old Man Logan story.

- Old Man Logan Vol.1 #1-5, Old Man Logan Vol.2 #1-50, Annual #1 + Dead Man Logan Vol.1 #1-12 by Brian Michael Bendis, Jeff Lemire, Ed Brisson, Andrea Sorrentino and many great artists. The followup to the original Old Man Logan story. "Bordertown" (Old Man Logan Vol.2 #5-7) is a Must-Read!

- Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation Vol.1 #1-4 by Benjamin Percy & Marcio Takara. The comic adaptation of "The Long Night" Podcast, if you enjoy this story try to listen to both "The Long Night" and "The Lost Trail" podcasts, it's a really impressive cinematic audio experience.

Now, some quick links to help old and new readers get ready for the upcoming Wolverine's relaunch in February:

Last edited by Hush; 03-10-2020 at 04:38 PM.

And finally a preview of the new Wolverine ongoing starting in February by Benjamin Percy, Adam Kubert & Viktor Bogdanovic:

Source: https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...-frank-martin/

Have fun!!!!
    Last edited by Hush; 01-06-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Go, go Wolve-Rangers.

Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Thank you for starting this thread, Hush
    Nice to see you!

A Happy New Year to everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Go, go Wolve-Rangers.

"You really think your Hellfire's gonna scare the guy who beat the Devil?" Wolverine was such a badass in this game even with this power rangers theme song lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GylT'Nav View Post
    Thank you for starting this thread, Hush
    Nice to see you!
    A Happy New Year to everybody!
    Hi GylT'Nav! Nice to see you too

You're welcome! I was really busy recently so I couldn't post a lot but I will try to post more this year especially with the start of the new ongoing!
    Last edited by Hush; 12-31-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    And now a preview of the new Wolverine ongoing starting in February:

Source: https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...-frank-martin/

Have fun!!!!
    I love this art so much, I can't wait for the first issue to come out! :)
    Be kind, it's FREE

Hi GylT'Nav! Nice to see you too

You're welcome! I was really busy recently so I couldn't post a lot but I will try to post more this year especially with the start of the new ongoing!
    No problem. I was busy too! I was for the most time only able to post some pictures from viktor bogdanovic and Kubert.(Wolverine ongoing)
    I will be very busy this year, too. (Started to study math last fall)
    Hope Percy and the rest of the creative team will deliver. Art looks fine so far. So let's see what this year will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    I love this art so much, I can't wait for the first issue to come out!
    So true, I can't wait too! By the way DAHX, sorry for not responding to your post in the previous Wolverine appreciation thread, I didn't have a lot of free time those last few months and as a result I couldn't post for a while, I will try to respond to you by PM

Quote Originally Posted by GylT'Nav View Post
    No problem. I was busy too! I was for the most time only able to post some pictures from viktor bogdanovic and Kubert.(Wolverine ongoing)
    I will be very busy this year, too. (Started to study math last fall)
    Hope Percy and the rest of the creative team will deliver. Art looks fine so far. So let's see what this year will bring.
    I'm still trying to catch up so thank you for posting so many pictures and informations from the new Wolverine ongoing, it helps a lot

Good luck with your studies, I hope everything is going well for you! I agree I really hope the creative team will deliver, I'm really hopeful especially after seeing how good the current X-Force series is.

So true, I can't wait too! By the way DAHX, sorry for not responding to your post in the previous Wolverine appreciation thread, I didn't have a lot of free time those last few months and as a result I couldn't post for a while, I will try to respond to you by PM
    No problem at all! It’s nice of you to mention it
    Be kind, it's FREE

Happy New Year to the Mutant who's the best there is at what he does .

Looking forward to his new series. Loving Percy’s writing in X-Force, and the art looks superb. Adam Kubert will always be synonymous for me with the bone claws era in the 90s, which I loved. A more vulnerable Logan, yet still just as dangerous.

Part of me thought it would be interesting if, after his death in House of X, they brought him back but he didn’t have the adamantium at first. And then later on we see him submitting himself to the bonding process to get it back, with Forge and Apocalypse (who gave it back to him before) overseeing it. So we could’ve seen him running around with the bone claws again for awhile, and then deciding to get his adamantium back at some point. Might’ve been fun but, then again, we’ve kind of been there and done that with regards to bone claws Wolverine.

I'm glad to see this thread return for the new year. Here's to hoping for the best for Wolverine in 2020!
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Happy new year to all Wolverine fans. And i'm glad to see Hush and Gyl still here, i hope that you enjoyed the celebrations.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

What does everyone want to see for Logan this year? In comics I'd like to see more of X-Force and the wet works type stories that Percy is doing, so that seems very likely since he is now going to be writing two books featuring Wolverine. I would do a flip if they relaunched the Ultimate Universe and Logan was alive again and somehow convinced Remender and Opena to write and draw it.

In other media I would love some sort of hint about Wolverine showing up in the MCU and on top of that an animated X-Men show would be great. I would really, really love Hasbro to release a new Ultimate Wolverine using the new mold that they used for X-Force and 90's Logan. Finally some new branded merchandise would be cool, shirts, jackets, socks whatever really.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    No problem at all! It’s nice of you to mention it
    Thank you for your understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Happy new year to all Wolverine fans. And i'm glad to see Hush and Gyl still here, i hope that you enjoyed the celebrations.
    Hi TheCape, nice to see you too my friend! I hope everything is going well for you and that you also enjoyed the celebrations!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    What does everyone want to see for Logan this year?
    A good solo run with a mix of different kind of stories, but more importantly a run that respect the legacy of the character without repeating the same old tired stories. I would also love a reunion between Logan, Yukio and Amiko, those three are amazing together and if Percy can retcon most of the revelations about Logan's past we got post House of M, I will be very happy too lol.

In comics I'd like to see more of X-Force and the wet works type stories that Percy is doing, so that seems very likely since he is now going to be writing two books featuring Wolverine.
    I do agree about X-Force, it's a really good series I hope Percy/Cassara will keep the momentum going through 2020. Beyond the current monthly books, I hope Marvel will release a Wolverine Omnibus Vol.2 and other Omnibus volumes collecting the Larry Hama, Frank Tieri and Greg Rucka runs in the future.

I would do a flip if they relaunched the Ultimate Universe and Logan was alive again and somehow convinced Remender and Opena to write and draw it.
    Between Spider-Men II, what's curently happening in the Miles Morales series and what happened at the end of Venom #20, it seems something is going on with the Ultimate universe especially after the revelation about Ultimate Reed Richards/Maker at the end of Venom #20. 2020 will also mark the 20th anniversary of the Ultimate universe so maybe Marvel is going to relaunch it this year.

In other media I would love some sort of hint about Wolverine showing up in the MCU and on top of that an animated X-Men show would be great. I would really, really love Hasbro to release a new Ultimate Wolverine using the new mold that they used for X-Force and 90's Logan. Finally some new branded merchandise would be cool, shirts, jackets, socks whatever really.
    Outside of comics, a follow-up to the Lost Trail podcast would be cool and after seeing the success and the quality of the most recent Spider-Man video game by Insomniac, I would like to see a new Wolverine video game, maybe something similar to the recent God of War. Also I agree about a new animated X-Men show, it's long overdue.

Regarding the MCU, if the leaks about the Winter Soldier/Falcon series and Madripoor are true, I wouldn't be surprised to see a reference to Logan/Patch. Maybe Bucky will mention a certain Canadian soldier from WWII who told him about Madripoor.

Speaking of Madripoor, Wolverine and the MCU I still hope that one day we will get a MCU adaptation of the flashback from Uncanny X-Men #268 (with Chris Evans reprising his role as Captain America) it would be so amazing!!!!

Last edited by Hush; 01-02-2020 at 04:19 PM.