Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Buckle up Logan fans. Wolverine's about to meet his New Arch Foe.

We don't know enough about X of Swords for me to have an opinion on it. The secrecy is aggravating.

Someone in the X-force thread said Logan sounds bipolar; going from the only one with any morals to loyal attack dog every other issue. Sometimes it feels he's only around out of obligation.

And is this his 5th arch-enemy at this point? Sabretooth, Omega Red, Fenrir, Sortiara, the entire Weapon X program....

I don't know if I would agree with the loyal attack dog statement. Logan has been questioning authority on Krakoa quite consistently. Today's X-Force showed he's willing to outright defy orders when he thinks its not right.

More in the sense that he didn't question anything about the Terra Verde debacle, even though he was on both missions. And his talk with Jean really gave me mixed messages.

I have been arguing with people on Facebook, Sabertooth gets waxed one sided and loses to Wolverine. He isn't really a good archenemy any more, what made Sabertooth vs Wolverine interesting is that Sabertooth would dominate him and he would be a challenge for Wolverine. People are like Sabertooth is his one true archenemy but IMO he really hasn't been for a while now.

Anyway the best example is Bane, Who has come along and stands in the same tier as Joker. So if Solem can become with Bane is in the Batman franchise then it is a good thing. Because of the history people will never let go Sabertooth as THE archenemy but if you follow comics when Deathstroke or Bane in recent years has gone up against Batman it has been more interesting than Joker. The established archenemy was overused until they aren't really special.

A big part of making an interesting, long-lasting nemesis is having them oppose and challenge the hero's ideology. Batman represents order while Joker represents chaos; that's why fans like them so much. They need to accomplish something similar with Solem and Logan.

The problem with Sabretooth is that he rarely is written as any sort of threat these days, after Tieri's work with him, he is mostly treated as a joke. I don't why that happened, by all means he should be fine as Wolverine arch nemesis, but no one writes him with the proper nuance, maybe is because Logan's rogues gallery doesn't bring the same nostalgic respect from other creators?.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Buckle up Logan fans. Wolverine's about to meet his New Arch Foe.
    I don't expect this guy to replace Sabertooth or function as well as a nemesis/rival but he'll probably be intended as the next new Wolverine Big Bad.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't expect this guy to replace Sabertooth or function as well as a nemesis/rival but he'll probably be intended as the next new Wolverine Big Bad.
    I feel like this sort of thing happens every now and then anyways. Feels more like advertisement in my opinion. Execution and feedback is where it matters.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I feel like this sort of thing happens every now and then anyways. Feels more like advertisement in my opinion. Execution and feedback is where it matters.
    mmmmmm, maybe. this feels different though. legit.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

I hope it's an worthy enemy. Logan is in need of a really great villain for his gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Not as often as you think, many of his new enemies usually die in the arc that they are introduce or are just forgotten (and boy some of then are lame). I don't remember a case this blatant thougth.

Also i'm glad that you are also a fan of "El Brujo"
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

so X-Factor says that it’s genetically part of Daken’s mutation that he is immune to extreme temperatures on either end; was this or something similar ever stated anywhere for either Daken or Logan before? I can’t recall, I think it’s a new thing?
    Be kind, it's FREE

I think its a new thing, because Wolverine has been subdued by extreme cold before.

And 'arch-nemesis' is honestly more of a reputation thing than a competence/success thing. So its extra hard to have something like that as a new character. The good ones play off the hero well, but even bad ones can get that kind of reputation over time. Sabretooth is a prime example

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Not as often as you think, many of his new enemies usually die in the arc that they are introduce or are just forgotten (and boy some of then are lame). I don't remember a case this blatant thougth.

Also i'm glad that you are also a fan of "El Brujo"
    True, but something about this feels off to me and weird. I think it's mainly the fact that it seems as if they really want to sell this new character as a threat. We'll just have to see where this goes. Worst thing is that the character fails to live up to the hype.

Also, yes. Been playing lots of Gwent recently.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia