Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Whiny X-fans didn't hurt Inhumans brand, Inhumans ran into a combo of bad luck.
    Frankly, that simplifies it too much and downplays/erases a lot of actually social harm that those brand of X-fans did to the Inhuman fandom and the Inhuman name beyond that. Sure, there are other factors, but the toxic X-fandom was definitely one of them.

Beyond that, I don't agree with your other disparaging notions, specifically about there being no "strong Inhumans books" back during their push. The way you present it in a bad-faith guilt-tripping way is also poor form, even if you do believe this to be true yourself.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-13-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    If not a new book I'd love to see Ewing do something with them over on the cosmic side of Marvel.
    As long as he doesn't have Medusa throw herself at the next readily able Inhuman male again...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    they were pretty good!

they didnt have that nah
    It felt like they did and were building up the foundations for it. But like a lot of Inhuman things, stuff got snubbed and plans got changed before things could finish, or even properly get started in some cases.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As long as he doesn't have Medusa throw herself at the next readily able Inhuman male again...
    agreed, that was weird.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The Inhumans themselves are largely MIA and the Empyre panel explicitly had creators saying the Inhumans were being shelved because they "needed a rest" for a while longer. Marvel has definitely been deliberately laying off the Inhumans since the end of Death of the Inhumans.
    Yeah, the Inhumans were the perfect fit for Empyre so the fact that they didn't get a tie-in seemed like a clear deliberate choice. Of course, even if they had one, they'd probably have been cut from the COVID cancellations.

Video games take years to get made. Avengers was first teased back in 2017, and was being developed before that. IE, back when the Inhumans push was still a thing. It is essentially the last vestiges of that, not a sign Marvel is suddenly all high on the Inhumans again.
    True, although I hope people will play the Inhumans and like them and that helps maintain their fanbase a bit.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Al Ewing said at C2E2 that the Inhumans were excluded bc he felt they needed to be off the table for a few years given recent history.

Which stinks bc his Royals series was amazing.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Al Ewing said at C2E2 that the Inhumans were excluded bc he felt they needed to be off the table for a few years given recent history.

Which stinks bc his Royals series was amazing.
    Did he actually literally say "A FEW YEARS" cause that is a long time. 1 comic = 1 month, few = usually 3-5, 1 year = 12 month, so 3-5 years = 36-60 months. We will probally see at least 4 books be cancelled after issue 6, and have a relaunch 5 months later during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

True, although I hope people will play the Inhumans and like them and that helps maintain their fanbase a bit.
    Agreed. I'd still love to see Medusa and Black Bolt in something like a new Marvel vs. Capcom if that ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Frankly, that simplifies it too much and downplays/erases a lot of actually social harm that those brand of X-fans did to the Inhuman fandom and the Inhuman name beyond that. Sure, there are other factors, but the toxic X-fandom was definitely one of them.

Beyond that, I don't agree with your other disparaging notions, specifically about there being no "strong Inhumans books" back during their push. The way you present it in a bad-faith guilt-tripping way is also poor form, even if you do believe this to be true yourself.
    It is not meant to be insulting, Whatever we think of a book creatively doesn't matter if it doesn't matches the sales. The sales were not strong which brings me back to why I don't blame X-fans. If just ONE inhuman book had strong sales nothing X-men fans would do or say would matter that is simply not the case. The fact that fanbase most likely to have over lap and like the books not necessarily picking up the books hurt wayyy more than silly internet talk. Everything comes back to performance imo.

If fans want to gripe it is not with the X-fans or even some of the other stuff, It is should be with what was the follow up plan for Inhumans? What was the long term plans for Inhumans? It doesn't make sense they went from around 3 books to zero. The biggest gripe I think anyone can have is that Marvel never let Inhumans put their best leg forward. There was never a book with Black Bolt,Medusa,Crystal, Karnak,etc and Grid, Inferno, Flint, Iso, Naja,etc and Quake,Synapse,Mosaic, Ms Marvel,Moon Girl,Toro. Marvel quit the big push of the Inhumans but never put its biggest pieces together in meaningful way.

Marvel cutting back made sense the books numbers where not that great, but Marvel after pushing these characters for months/years just giving up and doing nothing doesn't make sense. The same Marvel that consistently puts out a Punisher book that never has great numbers, That would relaunch Ghost Rider or Dr Strange or Iron Fist whose numbers always drop into cancellation numbers. For me the gripe is there is someone at Marvel going Inhumans can't sell but lets put out Agents of Atlas or Agents of Wakanda(nothing against those books). I mean at least put Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Quake, Ms Marvel in project and see what happens.

The Inhumans themselves are largely MIA and the Empyre panel explicitly had creators saying the Inhumans were being shelved because they "needed a rest" for a while longer. Marvel has definitely been deliberately laying off the Inhumans since the end of Death of the Inhumans.
    Yeah I touched it a little above they are books that get canceled and they bring them back with no issue. So I don't buy the toxic thing but I do understand resting characters. Even if the Royal family the bread and butter of the inhuman franchise is tired out some ,They built a wealth of other characters that they have just sitting around. I mean at least develop them in some miniseries or limited series. It is interesting how certain things get tons of tries with no long rest but other things just get one shot.

Give us book with Quake leading Ms Marvel, Mosaic, Iso, Grid, Flint, Inferno, Naja and Panacea doing something heroic I mean that has to be better than Snowflake and Safespace getting a book. Plus you can set up things to bring back the other characters.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-14-2020 at 04:17 AM.

Spectacular Member

This is what I was sort of dancing around in my longwinded post earlier - it's weird how Marvel has just completely dropped Inhumans as a property after they were an integral part of the line for 3 or years or so? And it cannot all come down to brand management and media considerations because Marvel publishes a few books that aren't really serving as idea machines for the MCU stuff. Marvels X, Maestro, Gwen Stacy, and others so it cannot ALL come down to the Inhumans show stunk and they are dead as an MCU property for the foreseeable future. So there must be a real sense at the company that the property is damaged goods right now. And whether that's due to the X-Men thing, the book never selling the way they wanted, or what, it's an interesting example and something I have a hard time comparing to anything else in comics history. That sounds hyperbolic but can any of you think of a situation where a company pushed a property so vehemently and then just let it whither away?

The closest comparison point I can make is how Ghost Rider/Midnight Suns were huge in the 90s and got top artistic talent on the books and then, when the fad died down, only a lame Ghost Rider book remained that finally ended in the late nineties. What are other examples of characters that got BIG pushes from the Big Two and then, when they didn't work, vanished from the publishing line?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That was disgraceful to the character, imo. It was made even worse by the fact that in the Black Bolt solo series Black Bolt was still pining for her and she was the reason he kept going.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    This is what I was sort of dancing around in my longwinded post earlier - it's weird how Marvel has just completely dropped Inhumans as a property after they were an integral part of the line for 3 or years or so? And it cannot all come down to brand management and media considerations because Marvel publishes a few books that aren't really serving as idea machines for the MCU stuff. Marvels X, Maestro, Gwen Stacy, and others so it cannot ALL come down to the Inhumans show stunk and they are dead as an MCU property for the foreseeable future. So there must be a real sense at the company that the property is damaged goods right now. And whether that's due to the X-Men thing, the book never selling the way they wanted, or what, it's an interesting example and something I have a hard time comparing to anything else in comics history. That sounds hyperbolic but can any of you think of a situation where a company pushed a property so vehemently and then just let it whither away?

The closest comparison point I can make is how Ghost Rider/Midnight Suns were huge in the 90s and got top artistic talent on the books and then, when the fad died down, only a lame Ghost Rider book remained that finally ended in the late nineties. What are other examples of characters that got BIG pushes from the Big Two and then, when they didn't work, vanished from the publishing line?
    I love how every Marvel cartoon during the Loeb era seemingly had to have a mandatory Inhuman tie-in .
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Give us book with Quake leading Ms Marvel, Mosaic, Iso, Grid, Flint, Inferno, Naja and Panacea doing something heroic I mean that has to be better than Snowflake and Safespace getting a book. Plus you can set up things to bring back the other characters.
    Well, they had at least a few of those characters together for a Secret Empire tie-in.

Spectacular Member

Other than Black Bolt and Ms. Marvel, I am genuinely curious what the best Inhumans story of the era was? Was it Royals? Did Soule have a particular arc people really liked? I know Uncanny Avengers had Steve Mcniven on it's opening arc, is that any good?

Astonishing Member

Other than Black Bolt and Ms. Marvel, I am genuinely curious what the best Inhumans story of the era was? Was it Royals? Did Soule have a particular arc people really liked? I know Uncanny Avengers had Steve Mcniven on it's opening arc, is that any good?
    For this era a tie between Uncanny Inhumans (specifically the first arc, and CW2 tie-in) & Secret Warriors.

Astonishing Member

I'll mention them again, but I stand by the pre-Secret Wars Inhumans book and All-New Inhumans by James Asmus.