Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast
    Galaxies Wanderer

accidentally found the artist behind the art (some of them) of the Realm of Kings card pack (Legendary)
    nahuel2d (Nahuel López)
    nahuel-lopez-crystal-uncommon-2.jpgnahuel-lopez-gorgon-common-b.jpg
    Last edited by Chocomancer; 12-05-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Default Moebius, Incal, Herbert's Dune, Lynch's Dune, and the Inhumans

Does anyone that is familiar with Moebius, The Incal, and Dune think that the inhumans had inspiration from them? I think they are some of the most sci-fi characters in Marvel, especially after their fog swept across the globe turning humans into alien type creatures. Moebius's art looks like Attilan, and the clothes they wear in his art also resembles what Marvel used for inhumans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Does anyone that is familiar with Moebius, The Incal, and Dune think that the inhumans had inspiration from them? I think they are some of the most sci-fi characters in Marvel, especially after their fog swept across the globe turning humans into alien type creatures. Moebius's art looks like Attilan, and the clothes they wear in his art also resembles what Marvel used for inhumans.

Maybe, but everything takes a little insperation from something.

That would be unlikely. However, while doing research for my fancomic I noticed that the Inhumans' debut issue and Dune were both published in the same year. Dune in August 1965 and
    Fantastic Four #45, first appearance of the Inhumans, December 1965.

It should be noted that in their early days, the Inhuman Royal Family didn't have too many similarities with the royals in the Dune saga; they weren't even properly cosmic characters yet (not until their first solo) but later, some characters have been gradually developed in that direction. Karnak, for example, went from being a karate guy to a more Mentat-like advisor. If you were reading Dune today, you could almost substitute him for Thufir Hawat.

I think Marvel should absolutely continue nudging this franchise toward this direction. There is a "fantasy political drama" niche that Game of Thrones created and then abandoned, that the Inhumans could easily and naturally fill.
    And Dune is basically what Game of Thrones would be if you put it in space and make everybody ten times as competent.
    Last edited by Fort Nerd; 12-06-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Nerd View Post
    That would be unlikely. However, while doing research for my fancomic I noticed that the Inhumans' debut issue and Dune were both published in the same year. Dune in August 1965 and
    Fantastic Four #45, first appearance of the Inhumans, December 1965.

It should be noted that in their early days, the Inhuman Royal Family didn't have too many similarities with the royals in the Dune saga; they weren't even properly cosmic characters yet (not until their first solo) but later, some characters have been gradually developed in that direction. Karnak, for example, went from being a karate guy to a more Mentat-like advisor. If you were reading Dune today, you could almost substitute him for Thufir Hawat.

I think Marvel should absolutely continue nudging this franchise toward this direction. There is a "fantasy political drama" niche that Game of Thrones created and then abandoned, that the Inhumans could easily and naturally fill.
    And Dune is basically what Game of Thrones would be if you put it in space and make everybody ten times as competent.
    I haven't watched Game of Thrones, but it's interesting because most people associate the inhumans and the Inhumans with War of Kings. I actually think it was a weird direction for them because they usually were a group of people that avoided interacting with anyone by hiding because they wanted to be left alone, let alone conquer an empire. I think that when Hickman made Black Bolt the Celestial Messiah and detonated the Terrigen Bomb (finally) in Earth 616, and after introducing the universal inhumans, they occupied their sci-fi niche more.

I would consider them cosmic characters because Earth is a part of the cosmos, as opposed to them only being in space. They're advanced human beings that use their technology and powers to go space faring. I'm curious to see how they go about eternals because this will be most people's first exposure to them. If they include the genetically altered humans by aliens bit, which they will, will people think they're "wanna-be" inhumans? The haters intentionally left out their alien relationship and Terrigen mutation when attacking them, so people might forget the nuances that differentiate eternals, mutants and inhumans.

If Marvel had continued the political drama of War of Kings, Crystal would've been majestrix of the Sh'iar Empire like she was supposed to be. It would've been interesting, but short lived. I like that they went with the hidden inhuman cities around Earth (and across the galaxy). It's what a 12,000 year old civilization from Earth would probably do. What's interesting is that you could replace the X-Men with the inhumans today, and it would be on brand. Just like the discovery of humans mixing with inhumans and hiding in clusters in society fit with their mythos in inhumanity.

The Spice Melange-Terrigen Cyrstals, the Prophet of Dune-Celestial Messiah, the treaties, the science fiction of it all are the connections I see.

Astonishing Member

Kind of what I put things do take insperation, we might relate it to something but that could have been inpsired from something else. I was watching Star Trek Enterprise the other day and they talk about not every Klingon is a warrior but that is the most wanted postion, just like most Inhumans of Attilian wanted to be members of the Royal guard. The Klingons in turn you can link to a mixture of warrior cultures and codes from real life examples. So yes we can all see connections to other things.

Astonishing Member

So with Ms. Marvel and the Fanstic Four getting their work done, maybe soon something for the Inhumans might start popping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    So with Ms. Marvel and the Fanstic Four getting their work done, maybe soon something for the Inhumans might start popping up.
    I hope so, but after all these years, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. They haven't mentioned "inhuman" when describing Kamala in the MCU. It's either a surprise, or they're changing her into something else. The Secret Invasion leading into Captain Marvel 2, they could include the Attilanians in it somehow. If not, and if they ever show up in the MCU, they might appear in a couple of years in some Fantastic Four project. I don't think Feige hates the inhumans. People just tied the inhumans to Perlmutter, and not Jack Kirby and the Fantastic Four, to begin their hate campaign/mobbing, and used Feige's quarrel with Permutter as a sign of him HATING a Marvel property. There's no guarantee that he'll do anything with them ever, but at least we got some tidbits while it lasted. Screw toxic fans.

I haven't watched Game of Thrones, but it's interesting because most people associate the inhumans and the Inhumans with War of Kings. I actually think it was a weird direction for them because they usually were a group of people that avoided interacting with anyone by hiding because they wanted to be left alone, let alone conquer an empire. I think that when Hickman made Black Bolt the Celestial Messiah and detonated the Terrigen Bomb (finally) in Earth 616, and after introducing the universal inhumans, they occupied their sci-fi niche more.

I would consider them cosmic characters because Earth is a part of the cosmos, as opposed to them only being in space. They're advanced human beings that use their technology and powers to go space faring. I'm curious to see how they go about eternals because this will be most people's first exposure to them. If they include the genetically altered humans by aliens bit, which they will, will people think they're "wanna-be" inhumans? The haters intentionally left out their alien relationship and Terrigen mutation when attacking them, so people might forget the nuances that differentiate eternals, mutants and inhumans.

If Marvel had continued the political drama of War of Kings, Crystal would've been majestrix of the Sh'iar Empire like she was supposed to be. It would've been interesting, but short lived. I like that they went with the hidden inhuman cities around Earth (and across the galaxy). It's what a 12,000 year old civilization from Earth would probably do. What's interesting is that you could replace the X-Men with the inhumans today, and it would be on brand. Just like the discovery of humans mixing with inhumans and hiding in clusters in society fit with their mythos in inhumanity.

The Spice Melange-Terrigen Cyrstals, the Prophet of Dune-Celestial Messiah, the treaties, the science fiction of it all are the connections I see.
    I agree with much of this. I've been reading FF, and thus Inhumans since the late '60s when I was around 12. Eventually I went back and got the issues of their first appearances. I got their first series and most of the later ones.

I think if the Inhumans were to be given another shot at MCU, they should be introduced through the Fantastic Four, like they were in comics.

As far as the books, mostly being a fan of Atilan based Inhumans, I hope for stories that might give history/canon to the previous exodus of other Inhumans, over thousands of years, that either created the colony cities or possibly went to the stars.

Another thing that I think of, is that maybe no matter how you have an Inhuman gene/material, you are somehow always 'inhuman'. That gene overrides - overwrites your normal sequence, and is only truly activated (some exceptions I guess) upon exposure to Terrigens.

Once an Inhuman, always an Inhuman.

So this brings to mine questions that maybe I can't answer, or prove me wrong.

Luna (who may not be the first 'mutant and inhuman' gene mixing, only got some powers after the mist exposure. ).

So that is my idea (will run from mutant fans now) that Inhuman genes overide human genes or overwrite them, whether mutant or not). Possible exceptions might be Eternal/Deviant, since we have

Malestrom, who I remember, but can't find Wiki info on, was both Deviant and Inhuman and I seem to recall this made them more powerful, for reasons . . .

thoughts?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I hope so, but after all these years, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. They haven't mentioned "inhuman" when describing Kamala in the MCU. It's either a surprise, or they're changing her into something else. The Secret Invasion leading into Captain Marvel 2, they could include the Attilanians in it somehow. If not, and if they ever show up in the MCU, they might appear in a couple of years in some Fantastic Four project. I don't think Feige hates the inhumans. People just tied the inhumans to Perlmutter, and not Jack Kirby and the Fantastic Four, to begin their hate campaign/mobbing, and used Feige's quarrel with Permutter as a sign of him HATING a Marvel property. There's no guarantee that he'll do anything with them ever, but at least we got some tidbits while it lasted. Screw toxic fans.
    A lot of people may believe that the debacle of the Inhumans TV show (I really wanted to like it) was tied in with the whole hatred/sniping between X fans and Inhuman fans, the whole who replaces who in/for the MCU. Perlmutter was the ****, wasn't he?

From a genetic point of view we know there are recessive and dominant genes and other factors.

Maybe in Marvel's universe there are super dominant genetics creating a semi hierarchy:

Eternals - they can't reproduce with each other, something super genetic, hmmmmm?
    but they can reproduce with others that may have similar origins (Deviants) but also other human-types in the Marvel universe.

Inhumans - similar, due to their own origins, but their idiosyncrocy (sic) is related not to re production, but how the gene overides most other genetic materials.
    Remember, they were designed to replicate far flung alien species/characteristics in a human type species. As part of warfare intentions. Therefore the Kree scientists created somehow this 'over-riding' factor of the basic Inhuman gene, so that no matter how diluted it may be through integration with other non Inhumans, the gene always over writes over rides the material to make it acceptable for Terrigen exposure.

Mutants - humans born with what they call the X-gene.
    My history/canon is foggy, but are the so called Ex-ternals/mutants, somehow related to actual Eternals or Deviants? This would make these mutants more like 'demi-gods' though a mutant gene is still present.

And what happens when Inhumans with their unknown 'over-writing' genes mate with some of the others above? I know, we don't for sure, but it is starting to look that way to me.

I'm also unclear about 'Toro' who started out as a sidekick to the original Human Torch and somewhere along the way was deemed either a latent mutant or mutated by something else (again, apologies, I don't remember this history)

and then more recently is said to have the Inhuman gene (?). so I 'm not sure I can extrapolate all that, with my ideas other than he always was Inhuman.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I wouldn't mind if they pop up in a Captain Marvel or Thor sequels. They could use the challenge .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they pop up in a Captain Marvel or Thor sequels. They could use the challenge .
    Captain Marvel works really well. The whole Kree thing.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Captain Marvel works really well. The whole Kree thing.
    They definitely fit in a Captain Marvel movie, especially since it's following Secret Invasion.

Id rather they did a soft reboot and kept some of the cast. I liked most of the actors to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Id rather they did a soft reboot and kept some of the cast. I liked most of the actors to be honest.
    Like I said earlier I wanted to like it and I agree that most of the cast was okay. Makeup needed to be better, ahem, 'existing' for the notable Triton and Gorgon. "Crystal" was vapid enough to be an insulated Princess type. They got the relationships right.
    ~ Oberon ~