Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

unfortunately, I don’t see all of the Krakoan status quo going away (and it’s fascinating to watch, so I would not want it to go either)

I don’t think Krakoa necessarily precludes an exploration of Inhumans, but I would wager it would necessitate showing Inhumanity as a people grappling with what it means to be Inhuman (eg traditionally a non-powered inhuman/someone with a terrigen incompatibility would be fairly crapped on by the caste system, but would still be considered Inhuman regardless of Tribe, whereas depowered mutants and their human relatives are explicitly outside mutantdom).

Mutants are a persecuted people trying to finally build a true identity for themselves, while Inhumanity are a people questioning the age old traditions their ancestors forged in view of a changing world.

That, or do a secret history thing (like why a Skrull was chasing one of Kamala’s ancestors through the Ilkhanate)

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    unfortunately, I don’t see all of the Krakoan status quo going away (and it’s fascinating to watch, so I would not want it to go either)

I don’t think Krakoa necessarily precludes an exploration of Inhumans, but I would wager it would necessitate showing Inhumanity as a people grappling with what it means to be Inhuman (eg traditionally a non-powered inhuman/someone with a terrigen incompatibility would be fairly crapped on by the caste system, but would still be considered Inhuman regardless of Tribe, whereas depowered mutants and their human relatives are explicitly outside mutantdom).

Mutants are a persecuted people trying to finally build a true identity for themselves, while Inhumanity are a people questioning the age old traditions their ancestors forged in view of a changing world.

That, or do a secret history thing (like why a Skrull was chasing one of Kamala’s ancestors through the Ilkhanate)
    Mutants are Inhumans 2.0 because they're realizing that in order to be safe, they have to seclude themselves from unnecessary and trivial threats that push their progress as a people back and wellbeing as a community. Genosha and Utopia were already showing hints of Attilan, and Hickman isn't doing anything new, but rather taking those early ideas to fruition.

Anyway, all this means is that the inhumans "ban" is continuing. They did well telling us that we shouldn't wait or hope to see them in this event since it was obvious even to Marvel that the inhumans should naturally appear in it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I don't think it was that it was too fast, but rather they were tied to any problems the X-Men faced and used as scapegoats. It was cynicism and clickbait articles that sabotaged it.

The X-Men push is very fast and very strong with like 15 books and more events. No one is saying they are being shoved down our throats. Ms. Marvel is proof that their push on the comics side was successful.
    This...

If that fandom is going to throw fits about one book let alone a tie-in and Marvel agrees-what does that say about Marvel's management? That you fear that?

After seeing tons of youtube videos of GROWN men destroying, defecating, stabbing, set on fire, flushed down the toilet and even eating Ms Marvel & Moon Girl books and using it as the reason for a hate movement.

Marvel did not get rid of them. Nor Squirrel Girl, Miles Morales or Riri Williams. As much backlash they got.

So why would ANYONE entertain complaints from a fandom with 14 books?

Especially when all this is the result of what MARVEL allowed to happen? A story that anyone who was not a yes man could have told you that story line was silly.

Not when BOTH franchises had folks who could wipe out a cloud without trying.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Empyre would have been the perfect fit for them, but I understand the animosity concern. That being said, it's mostly Marvel's fault people feel this way.
    Again, I don't agree that it was. (TV show notwithstanding, and that kinda reeked of the bad kind of executive meddling, anyway, since it was supposed to be a fully-fledged movie for one thing.) By and large, I feel they did what they should have, push-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    That's how I take it too. ''They need a rest'', not because there aren't stories to be told about them, but because Marvel went too hard, too fast with the Inhumans push and it kind of blew up in their faces.
    I think this has been a consistent problem Marvel has gone through in recent years. The second they think anything is going to become a big deal, there's suddenly a huge sea of books without waiting to see if there's actually an audience for them. You saw this when they tried to make the Guardians of the Galaxy into a family of books with individual series for each member of the team and a team-up title. Or that period when you had like a bajillion different Avengers teams running around (even though U.S. Avengers was spectacular).

For what it's worth, there's some Inhuman-centric arcs on Marvel's Future Avengers anime, featuring Ms. Marvel and the Royal Family, which is now available on Disney+.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Again, I don't agree that it was. (TV show notwithstanding, and that kinda reeked of the bad kind of executive meddling, anyway, since it was supposed to be a fully-fledged movie for one thing.) By and large, I feel they did what they should have, push-wise.
    Can't agree on this. Positioning them in opposition to the X-Men was a death sentence. There's definitely some truth to the idea that there were too many Inhumans books put out without seeing if there was a market for them, but quality-wise, the titles themselves usually ranged from good to excellent (Ahmed's Black Bolt was simply masterful). The worst thing that would've happened was people might overlooked some of them. But the whole IVX status quo with the Terrigen mists poisoning mutants just guaranteed a large portion of the fanbase was gonna hate the Inhumans no matter what. You can't even compare it to AVX because at least there, you had two very large, popular franchises going at it. By comparison, the Inhumans have never been anywhere near as popular as the X-Men, and many of the players in the conflict were brand new characters to boot. You don't try to get people interested in new characters by having them be (indirectly as it was) responsible for something terrible happening to characters your audience already knows and loves. That's part of why so many legacy characters have a hard time catching on.

It's unclear if TPTB at Marvel were aware of the suspicion and conspiracy theories and were directly leaning into that with IVX (the infamous poster leads me to believe they were and intentionally tried to cash in on the controversy), but regardless, it was just about the worst possible thing they could have done.
    Last edited by Holt; 03-01-2020 at 06:13 PM.

I will never understand how someone thought the mist's impact on Mutants was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

This...

After seeing tons of youtube videos of GROWN men destroying, defecating, stabbing, set on fire, flushed down the toilet and even eating Ms Marvel & Moon Girl books and using it as the reason for a hate movement...
    Wait....you saw this...??? Eewwww!

BANNED

It’s not like it’s too late to do an Inhumans movie. I doubt your casual moviegoers is going to hold the tv show against them. The premise and the Marvel logo should practically sell the movie alone. You could easily make The Inhumans stand out among other properties and at the same time tie it with stuff in the universe as well.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    But the whole IVX status quo with the Terrigen mists poisoning mutants just guaranteed a large portion of the fanbase was gonna hate the Inhumans no matter what.
    A level of dislike directed at the Inhumans is reasonable and acceptable. But persistent loathing, coupled with behavior like what skyvolt2000 mentioned along with glee or smugness over any lack of news regarding Inhuman participation in Marvel events, is way over the top. Sure, folks are free to react and behave as they see fit; that doesn't mean the quality of such reactions and behavior is something to be proud of.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't think anyone here is saying that behavior was good. It isn't. What I was saying was that Marvel directly opened the franchise up to a certain level of dislike that they wouldn't have had to deal with had they not chosen to do the Terrigen plot.

When I see something like this as an official piece of marketing...

...it immediately says to me that editorial is intentionally trying to rile people up and make them upset on the premise that there's no such thing as bad publicity. In this case, that thinking blew up in their face, and a lot of good books paid the price for it.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

So now it's been a number of years since that event, the X-office has had a massive relaunch, I think some magnanimity couldn't hurt. Why hold on to such emotions when your favorite characters are now clearly the winners in the quantity category?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    So now it's been a number of years since that event, the X-office has had a massive relaunch, I think some magnanimity couldn't hurt. Why hold on to such emotions when your favorite characters are now clearly the winners in the quantity category?
    Some in the X-Men fanbase are claiming the Fantastic Four are racist bigots because of the new X4 crossover. I think that fanbase will attack anything that might come off as a threat to the X-Men, and that image of inhumanity was Marvel giving up on the inhumans because they know who the fanbase is. They remember AVX and Civil War.

They should appear in a Fantastic Four book, but with Empyre coming, everyone's gonna be invested in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I will never understand how someone thought the mist's impact on Mutants was a good idea.
    Moving Paniccia away from major MU properties is the greatest thing to come from the Cebulski era.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate