Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Man, that's the worst luck!

I'm sure you can find it when things settle down again. It was a nice, old school tale with great art.
    Oh, it gets better, I decided to preorder it along with all of next month's titles I've been picking up, in order to get free shipping, which means it wouldn't ship until the last of those preorders are out, so now with no new comics coming out it looks like the shop has it but won't send it until everything is available.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    Oh, it gets better, I decided to preorder it along with all of next month's titles I've been picking up, in order to get free shipping, which means it wouldn't ship until the last of those preorders are out, so now with no new comics coming out it looks like the shop has it but won't send it until everything is available.
    Geez.

I would give you my digital copy, but I used the code already.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

https://www.cbr.com/secret-wars-wolv...-spider-woman/ "In their first appearance, the Wrecking Crew beat up a whole team of Defenders, including Luke Cage and Hulk."

Hello Defender fans! I have a couple of questions.

Why has so few of the series been collected? The issues that have been collected in marvel masterworks are incredibly expensive.

Our local comic con has tentatively been rescheduled for october and I have had some great luck over the years picking up back issues. What arcs of the this series are a must read?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post

Why has so few of the series been collected? The issues that have been collected in marvel masterworks are incredibly expensive.

Our local comic con has tentatively been rescheduled for october and I have had some great luck over the years picking up back issues. What arcs of the this series are a must read?
    Hello Jekyll! Welcome to the Defenders! As many on here know, I LOVE the Defenders.

To me, the best of the series was #1-120 or so. That also breaks down into smaller segments: The first 20 issues had almost a "Magical Quality" or "Feel" to them, with good stories and great artwork. A MUST! 21-50 expanded the Defenders villains and hero base. Also good stories and great artwork. Also a must. 51-90 were extension of the direction of growth of characters, stories and with more characters thrown into the mix. Art was different but still good. 91-120 were interesting but was beginning to lose that "Magical Feel" even though some of the stories had demons, "Six-Fingered Hands" and the like. (I kid you not!). The art was acceptable but to me was not the same as the earlier issues.

Hope this helped a little. If you have any other questions, just ask, would be happy to help with what I know for a fellow Defender Fan!

BANNED

58-91 still haven't been collected?

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    No, not to my knowledge. Marvel is very slow with collecting Defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hello Jekyll! Welcome to the Defenders! As many on here know, I LOVE the Defenders.

To me, the best of the series was #1-120 or so. That also breaks down into smaller segments: The first 20 issues had almost a "Magical Quality" or "Feel" to them, with good stories and great artwork. A MUST! 21-50 expanded the Defenders villains and hero base. Also good stories and great artwork. Also a must. 51-90 were extension of the direction of growth of characters, stories and with more characters thrown into the mix. Art was different but still good. 91-120 were interesting but was beginning to lose that "Magical Feel" even though some of the stories had demons, "Six-Fingered Hands" and the like. (I kid you not!). The art was acceptable but to me was not the same as the earlier issues.

Hope this helped a little. If you have any other questions, just ask, would be happy to help with what I know for a fellow Defender Fan!
    Thank you so much!! I look forward to going on the hunt for these issues!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Thank you so much!! I look forward to going on the hunt for these issues!
    Good luck and enjoy the read!

While some can be expensive, those early issues are so worth it!

Astonishing Member

There is a new Masterworks scheduled for this year that collects 58-75. While there are some interesting moments in this run (I like the Xenogenesis 3-parter), the best days of the Defenders have already passed at this point. The Six-Fingered Hand story attempted to get the series back on track, but the artwork remained way below par in comparison to it's heyday. The New Defenders were a complete miss.

https://collectededitions.com/2020/0...fenders-vol-7/

When howard the duck joined the defenders!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    When howard the duck joined the defenders!
    Awesome fun! Of course, when Gerber was writing both.

Look how happy the Defenders are to see Howard in that first pic! LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Older comics usually are collected only in Marvel Masterworks, and black and white Essentials. The whole Defenders original run is available in Essentials. Epic Collections is supposed to replace the Essentials but they aren't doing them in order.

If you look on eBay or In Stock Trades, you can find the Marvel Masterworks for almost half off.

The other runs of Defenders are all collected in paperback, AFAIK -- with the exception of the Busiek / Larsen mini in the early 00s. Defenders Indefensible, Last Defenders, Fractions' Defenders, Fearless Defenders, Defenders, the Deep, Bendis' Defenders, Defenders Best Defense ... I'm sure I left someone out. Oh, wait, Secret Defenders may not be all collected, but there are a couple of books, IIRC.

I remember loving Avengers Defenders War when it came out. One of the first 'event' crossovers, IIRC. Also enjoyed the recent TAROT mini-series, which is more of an Avengers Defenders team up.

I tend to like the earlier issues of Defenders, when Sal Buscema was doing the art, and I loved Val and Namor. But The Headsmen were Defenders odd. Defender For a Day. Oh, and the Dr. Seuss issue!

There's a list of collected editions on the first page of this thread. I think it's up to date. If not, let me know, and I'll add it.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    There is a new Masterworks scheduled for this year that collects 58-75. While there are some interesting moments in this run (I like the Xenogenesis 3-parter), the best days of the Defenders have already passed at this point. The Six-Fingered Hand story attempted to get the series back on track, but the artwork remained way below par in comparison to it's heyday. The New Defenders were a complete miss.

Added to the front page. Thanks!

With that addition, we only need one more book, I think, to have the entire original Defenders run in collected editions. Awesome!

I agree somewhat on the art. It wasn't as good as Sal Buscema's early on.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post

This is good news! MMW #7! There are a lot of issues packed into this volume.

I love #64--Valkyrie goes mad (really a warrior's madness bekoning her back to Asgard) and #67 --At last! Valkyrie enters Asgard!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

I agree somewhat on the art. It wasn't as good as Sal Buscema's early on.
    Especially when Klaus Janson was inking. He also made the transition to Keith Giffen's art easier to take (though I was not a fan of Giffen's issues inked to looks like watered-down Jack Kirby. Perlin could have been okay under an inker closer to Janson's style -- with heavy shadows to add some mood and drama. With Joe Sinnott inking -- the series looked too bright and shiny -- especially during the Six-Fingered Hand storyline.