Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default From a Golden Age: The Invaders Appreciation 2020

The Invaders were created by Roy Thomas, out of his love for the Golden Age era characters. They first appeared in Avengers 71, cover date December 1969, though they weren't called Invaders, and they only consisted of Namor the Sub-Mariner, The Original Human Torch and Captain America. But Roy did have Jim Hammond yell their battle cry "Okay Axis, Here We Come!" in this issue when they fought Yellow Jacket, Black Panther, and Vision as champions in a cosmic contest between Kang and the Grandmaster.

The Invaders sort of appeared again in Avengers 97, cover date March 1972, as heroes "summoned" by Rick Jones during the Kree-Skrull War.

They finally appeared as a team named Invaders in an origin story that appeared in Giant Sized Invaders 1, cover date June 1975, with art by Frank Robbins, inked by Vinnie Colleta. And while Churchill gives them their name in the story, according to Roy Thomas' Recollection page in Giant Sized Avengers 1:

And thus was started the Invaders first ongoing, which ran for 41 issues, an Annual and this Giant Sized issue.

=======

From a Golden Age: The Invaders Appreciation 2014-2018

From a Golden Age: The Invaders Appreciation 2019
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-17-2020 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added the original title of thread before the mods stripped it.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

RECOMMENDED READING

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Invaders Classic v1 (Collects Invaders #1-9, Giant-Size Invaders (1975) #1, and Marvel Premiere #29-30)
    Invaders Classic v2 (Collects Invaders #10-21 and Annual #1)
    Invaders Classic v3 (Collects Invaders #22-23 and #25-34)
    Invaders Classic v4 (Collects Invaders #35-41 and Invaders 1993 #1-4)
    Invaders Classic Complete Collection v1 (Collects Giant-Size Invaders #1; Invaders (1975) #1-22, Annual #1; Marvel Premiere (1972) #29-30; Avengers (1963) #71)
    Invaders Classic Complete Collection v2 (Collects Invaders (1975) #23, 25-41, Invaders (1993) #1-4, Giant-Size Invaders #2, What If? (1977) #4)

Avengers v5 Once an Invader (Collects Avengers #82-84 and Invaders #0, Avengers (1963) #71 and Invaders Annual #1! )
    New Invaders to End All Wars (Collects New Invaders #1-9 )
    Invaders Eve of Destruction (Collects Marvel Universe #1-7)
    Avengers / Invaders (Collects Avengers Invaders #1-12)
    The Torch (Collects The Torch #1-8)
    Invaders Now! (Collects Invaders Now #1-5)

All New Invaders v1 Gods and Soldiers (Collects All-New Invaders #1-5)
    All New Invaders v2 Original Sin (Collects All-New Invaders #6-10)
    All New Invaders v3 The Martians Are Coming (Collects All-New Invaders #11-15)

Secret Empire Brave New World (Collects #1-5)

Invaders v1 War Ghost (Collects #1-6)
    Invaders v2 Dead In the Water (Collects #7-12)

Namor John Byrne Visionaries v2 (Collects Namor #10-18)
    The Marvels Project (Collects The Marvels Project #1-8)
    Captain America The Man With No Face (Collects Captain America #43-48)
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

LINKS

Invaders Mapping

Alan Kupperberg Interview

Secret Empire Brave New World Order interview @Marvel.com

Didja Know ... Invaders @Marvel.com

Marvel’s 80th Anniversary: Everything You Need to Know About the Invaders

@CBR
    Invaders Tag Articles

From a Golden Age: The Invaders Appreciation 2014-2018

The Original Golden Age Human Torch (Jim Hammond) Appreciation

The Whizzer: Master of Speed (Golden Age version) Appreciation

Who were the OTHER Golden Age heroes?

The Invaders WHEN do you prefer them?

Invaders (2019)

THE ROSTERS

Captain America
    Namor the Sub-Mariner
    The Original Human Torch
    Toro
    Bucky
    Union Jack
    Spitfire
    Arakus the Vision

Thin Man
    Miss America
    Whizzer
    Blazing Skull
    Silver Scorpion
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2019 at 06:24 PM.

I know these intro posts need updating, and I'll get to it as soon as I can. But if there's anything else folks wanted added, let me know.

Reposting this from the previous thread, because this question does come up fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro
    Interesting response in regards to how The Invaders is treated in relation to Marvel's Golden Age stories and how they may affect current Marvel continuity (The Invaders #36, January 1979).

SALES FIGURES

Invaders 2019

# 048 Invaders 01 - 36,462 +1000 2nd printing
    # 086 Invaders 02 - 19,772 + 2nd printing
    # 049 Invaders 03 - 33,465 (22,422 calculated actual ordered / #117 dollar ranking)
    #114 Invaders 04 - 16,460
    #139 Invaders 05 - 15,430
    #138 Invaders 06 - 14,792
    #080 Invaders 07 - 28,668 (14,334 calculated actual ordered / #156 dollar ranking)
    #136 Invaders 08 - 14,248
    #155 Invaders 09 - 13,689
    #189 Invaders 10 - 13,246
    #156 Invaders 11 - 12,667
    #152 Invaders 12 - 12,168
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-20-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    The Invaders were created by Roy Thomas, out of his love for the Golden Age era characters. They first appeared in Avengers 71, cover date December 1969, though they weren't called Invaders, and they only consisted of Namor the Sub-Mariner, The Original Human Torch and Captain America. But Roy did have Jim Hammond yell their battle cry "Okay Axis, Here We Come!" in this issue when they fought Yellow Jacket, Black Panther, and Vision as champions in a cosmic contest between Kang and the Grandmaster.
    An all-time favorite & definitely a classic (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-15-2020 at 12:45 AM.

This IS a great issue. A great start for the Invaders.

It also has the infamous BEES panels for Namor. LOL!

This IS a great issue. A great start for the Invaders.

It also has the infamous BEES panels for Namor. LOL!
    Yes!! I remember Yellowjacket unleashing them and Namor getting stung, even through his hybrid skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes!! I remember Yellowjacket unleashing them and Namor getting stung, even through his hybrid skin.
    Yes, one those inconsistencies about Namor's skin. But it was funny.

Re-posting from the previous thread, as the story starts out with the Invaders in WWII.

Check out this preview of the first issue -- all pages full of the Invaders.

TAROT #1 (of 4)
    ALAN DAVIS (W) • PAUL RENAUD (A/C) AUG199011
    Variant Cover by ALAN DAVIS AUG199039
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA AUG199040
    An all-new epic adventure teaming the classic Earth’s Mightiest Heroes with Marvel’s premiere Non-Team by Alan Davis and Paul Renaud!
    A strange and impossible lost memory from his days in World War II draws Namor the Sub-Mariner to his one-time compatriot Captain America—but the two heroes and their respective allies find themselves pulled into a labyrinth of pain, destruction and madness courtesy of the Infernal Ichor of Ish’lzog!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

First issue is already out, and second issue should be coming out at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, one those inconsistencies about Namor's skin. But it was funny.
    For bringing them all together, we have both the Grandmaster & Kang to thank for that.

So, I was looking at the final sales figures for last years Invaders series and while spectacular, they were pretty solid. Certainly better than other series / characters that are getting rebooted ... some repeatedly. Anyways, I could definitely see the Invaders getting another chance relatively soon. So, what creative team would you like to see on a future Invaders book? Do you want it set entirely in WWII or would you like to see it do like most of the books we've seen, flashbacks to WWII and set in the present?

So, I was looking at the final sales figures for last years Invaders series and while spectacular, they were pretty solid. Certainly better than other series / characters that are getting rebooted ... some repeatedly. Anyways, I could definitely see the Invaders getting another chance relatively soon. So, what creative team would you like to see on a future Invaders book? Do you want it set entirely in WWII or would you like to see it do like most of the books we've seen, flashbacks to WWII and set in the present?
    Ewing. But then I want Ewing on all the books, so...

Otherwise, Mark Waid, the Invaders story he did in Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty was awesome. He has proven that he gets the heart of that team.

That said, they got Roy Thomas to come back for that single issue this past year, I would love to see him come back and take a stab at something longer, even if it's just a mini. I liked his single release so it's evident that he still has his mad skills/touch.

Tini Howard did the Cap annual in 2018, and the story took place during WW2, and it was really good, so I think she'd be great for it.

Lots of fantastic options.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Ewing. But then I want Ewing on all the books, so...

Otherwise, Mark Waid, the Invaders story he did in Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty was awesome. He has proven that he gets the heart of that team.

That said, they got Roy Thomas to come back for that single issue this past year, I would love to see him come back and take a stab at something longer, even if it's just a mini. I liked his single release so it's evident that he still has his mad skills/touch.

Tini Howard did the Cap annual in 2018, and the story took place during WW2, and it was really good, so I think she'd be great for it.

Lots of fantastic options.
    Hmmm. I didn't think Ewing had any interest in the history side of thing. He seems very interested in the cosmic/sf side -- though he did do the Defenders, but more as a cosmic team.

I spoke to Roy Thomas about the Invaders a couple of years ago, and he said he'd love to do it, but he wants a series, not a mini-series. Though, of course he did do that one shot with Jerry Ordway last year.

Waid is hit or miss for me. Will have to check out that Cap annual.

I would love to see Kieron Gillen try it, though he might think he's already done it / said what he wanted to, with Uber.

I'm kind of curious about Cullen Bunn. He did the Cap and Bucky issues, IIRC, and had some stuff set up in his period Cap and Namor one-shot, with a group called the Covenant, which would be different take on the Invaders.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

The earlier All-Winners and All-Select covers feel like Invaders covers in of themselves.

Comixology is having a Chip Zdarsky sale that ends on April 2.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...4017_pg=1&cu=0

If you didn't pick up the first volume of Invaders 2019 (6 issues) you can get it for $3.99!