Page 145 of 233 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3481
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Does a court of owls batman game mean good things for our boy?
    Depends - a hefty, plot-driving role would be good for exposure. A weak "hostage" role, or tiny cameo, probably hurts. As ever, we're down to execution!

Also, I'm torn - I've always thought there was a case to really push the Owls/Dick connection, although it's been tried a *lot* and never really worked. A hugely successful game that makes that establishes that connection in the mind of a wider audience might be good - on the other hand, it's a *Batman* game. And solidifying the Owl/Dick connection in a game where the Owls are Bruce's nemeses just brings us back to square one.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeah, that's what I meant. In comics, Dick's role is limited to William Cobb and The Circus, so if The Court Arkham game happens, he'll be given a more sizeable playable portion compared to the rest of the family, an area in Haly's Circus for example, but it's still a Batman game and Batman's story.

So it depends on what you consider good.

Even that is only if they wanna be accurate. In the WB movie, they throw that role to Damian.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-17-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Dick barely played a role in the actual Court story. The Haley’s element was a supplementary connection to further bolster them as Batman villains, but Dick himself was hardly important. The stuff Nightwing writers did with the Court is throwaway. Pretty sure Jurgens didn’t even read the initial Court arc his interpretation was so off and generic. Not too mention a rather obvious desperate attempt to try and make up some sort of after the fact sense to Dick’s poorly thought out predicament.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-17-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Not unless they turn backhanding the molar out of Dick's mouth into a fulllength boss fight.

Should the Court even be a thing for Dick? Whether he is a talcon or not

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What I've learned is when it comes to dick is that the questions are not what's good for dick but what about dick is good for bruce. So dick connections to the court works for batman so the connection isn't going anywhere.

Astonishing Member

You know, it occurs to me - if they ever did a Full Reboot, then the Court of Owls taking the place of HIVE in the Titans/Deathstroke history works quite neatly. Grant Wilson wants to be a Talon, the Owls let him become one as part of their lure to get Dick involved - which is why Slade blames Dick specifically.

I know others in the thread are more purist than I, but if I'm honest I wouldn't miss HIVE if they were gone.

HIVE feels like yesterdays news but I feel Court of Owls is a very Gotham thing. I prefer the Titans in New York or San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The Court could be a fine addition to Dick's mythos, but not if the strings are still being pulled solely for the benefit of Bruce.

Court of Owls is a big enough concept and organization that it can operate in Batman stories *and* independent Nightwing stories without there being a ton of overlap or interconnection, allowing Dick to retain his own agency, but DC has to allow that, or the Court just becomes one more chain around Dick's neck.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The HIVE are pretty lame and always have been, but (despite debuting in a Superman comic) they purely belong to Nightwing and the Titans.

The Court is slightly less lame, but has to be shared with Batman, so it cancels out as being much of an improvement.

The only Court thing I wanted to see happen was a game that would be an adaptation of Dark Victory and Robin: Year One, but with the Owls wrapped in. I feel like that's the only way you can write a "Batman story" that's also about Dick and the Owls without it being a revamped, DickBats version of the original story.

Spectacular Member

I'm not all about the Court as a part of Dick's past for the reasons mentioned above; I don't think it really adds much to the Court of Owls story as it was written nor to Dick's character, and actively takes away from the happy childhood he had.

I like the fact that Dick came from a relatively "normal", working-class family only to have the rug pulled out from under him due to tragic circumstances and learning to adapt and cope. The Court recruiting children from Haly's taints his past; now, he never would have been a regular, happy kid if Bruce hadn't taken him in. It almost lessens the loss he had to endure if we know that this would have been the inevitable result Tony Zucco or no. I guess I prefer the juxtaposition of what could have been rather than one tragedy causing Dick to avoid another.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Does a court of owls batman game mean good things for our boy?
    Well, he probably will have a big role there, because this game, presumably, is Batfamily oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Well, he probably will have a big role there, because this game, presumably, is Batfamily oriented.
    Rumors say that the game it's called Gotham Knights and the batfamily is playable.

One more month until Ric is over!!

73 continues the level one has come to expect on this book. Jurgens continues to have a pittance of story he is just needlessly stretching. The whole issue is completely unnecessary really. The only thing this issue tells us really is that Dicky Boy is ineffective and rather weak. Which is too funny, but exactly the kind of poorly thought out writing I have come to expect from Jurgens and the Nightwing crew. So Dicky Boy is suppose to be one of Jokers new weapons in this War, Dick is on Joker’s side so watch out Batfamily and all that, and you know how Punchline is tearing through everyone to try and sell her as a credible threat, well Dicky Boy is the opposite of that. He sucks. Classic case of telling readers how dangerous he should be while simultaneously demonstrating the exact opposite.
    Jugens did this a lot with his last annual too. It has become very apparent to me Jurgens thinks very little of the intelligence of his audience. This goes back with him trying to having Ric getting Dick’s pre-flashpoint memories back. It’s as if they think if they just tell readers one thing they won’t notice you showing them another. Anyway, if anyone was expecting Dicky Boy to be a threat. Don’t. He’s not. He’s the guy they are gonna use to re-pad the rep Punchline might diminish.

Another thing the art and layouts are at an all time low here too. Very rough and amateurish. This run hasn’t really seen decent art save from the odd pages they have Moore do here and there to, IMO, try and trick readers, but the art here was particularly weak.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-18-2020 at 06:05 AM.