Page 168 of 233 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 3481

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not reading Tynion's Batman (I'll grab the trades maybe) so I haven't even read any of this, but I gotta agree with the "meh, whatever, f*ck off* sentiment. Two years of crap Ric stories, a return that's just a subplot in someone else's book.....DC is gonna have to do better than that for my money.

The second we have a proper Nightwing title with a quality creative team, I will be all over that. Might even buy two copies if the writer and artist aren't the bottom of the creative barrel. But I've refused to support Ric and I'll be damned if I'll support equally low effort just because Dick's got his name back.
    Exactly my thoughts. I haven't bought anything beyond the first issue of this Ric mess a year ago. I won't buy the Joker War tie ins or any of the issues following. I won't buy another half-asses creative team either. I will support issues like JL #53 though even though I'm not bothering with any of the rest of that event.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I have to give Williamson a lot props for having the balls to take shots at Dick’s book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not reading Tynion's Batman (I'll grab the trades maybe) so I haven't even read any of this, but I gotta agree with the "meh, whatever, f*ck off* sentiment. Two years of crap Ric stories, a return that's just a subplot in someone else's book.....DC is gonna have to do better than that for my money.

The second we have a proper Nightwing title with a quality creative team, I will be all over that. Might even buy two copies if the writer and artist aren't the bottom of the creative barrel. But I've refused to support Ric and I'll be damned if I'll support equally low effort just because Dick's got his name back.
    Yeah. Whole thing is a mess and after looking through Batman 99, absolutely not worth buying. Excitedly hopeful for Williams JL arc though.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    As for JL #53: Kendra and Dick teaming up was great, and I have hopes that Dick will be allowed to shine for a bit. The dig at Ric I could have done without. If writers don't want to deal with the fallout, I applaud that but just leave it out. I don't get and don't need an explanation for Dick's sudden change of appearance, and neither do I don't need or want a Ric mention.
    I appreciated the Ric references, for two reasons. 1) It informed me that I was in fact reading main universerse Dick Grayson. 2) It informed me that the creator knows about that whole story line and sees it with a bit of contempt, so it seems like he won't be continuing on with it. It felt like a "Yes, this is main universe Dick Grayson. But also, this is going to be DICK Grayson."

Doesn't the solicit specifically say Ric will come up next issue - as Nightwing meets Cyborg and Starfire and they catch up on the last couple of years?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Williamson displayed an awareness Ric's writers seem to lack. Frustratingly so. It's better to call it out for what it is then ignorantly just pretend it isn't. If Ric is to be referenced, it should be referenced as a time of failure and low quality. Cause that is what it was. It was low point is pretty much every regard.

I hope Ric is retconed out. You guys think with Dan gone we will get a better writer?

What I find so odd about Tynion's unglamorous return for Dick is that he clearly thinks the character is important. Both of his features on landmark anniversary issues have had Dick as Robin. One of them was focused on the significance of his character to the mythos
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I hope Ric is retconed out. You guys think with Dan gone we will get a better writer?
    It doesn't need to be retconed out as they didn't really do anything with Ric, except stubbornly waste 2 years on a direction no one liked and didn't go anywhere. But its not like they changed his history or had him do anything that would require a retcon. Beyond the creation of Ric, the actual stories and ideas with Ric were very safe and generic. Making Ric all the more dumb.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-16-2020 at 01:40 PM.

No need for a retcon. This will just be "the time Dick had a head wound and lost his memory, then got screwed with by the Court until he got his memory back."

It's just a bad storyline. Granted, it's probably the worst Dick has ever been, his absolute lowest point from both a character and quality point of view, but in the end it's just a bad story and nothing more. If we retconned every bad story DC ever made we would have like, three stories left and two of them would be out of continuity.

Besides, retcons and reboots are never good ideas. They don't fix problems, they only add to them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well it seems this whole Ric story isn't done has the next solicit for Nightwing is if he wants this.

In the wake of "The Joker War," Nightwing is back—but is he back for good? And does he remember Bea? With the help of Batman, Batgirl, his Teen Titans friends, and even Alfred, Nightwing must decide for himself which path to take. Then, when KGBeast discovers Nightwing is still alive, his street credibility is on the line if he doesn’t go to finish the job he started when he tried to kill Nightwing…and missed! Nightwing better watch his back is he wants to be back for good!

Astonishing Member

Well it seems this whole Ric story isn't done has the next solicit for Nightwing is if he wants this.
    I said it at the time and I'll say it again, that solicit is not written to a professional standard. Symptomatic of the whole thing.

It’s just more of Jurgans repeating the same ****. Gotham villain comes to Bludhaven, dangles Bea as bait, generic traditional comic stuff ensues. Jurgans is going through same beats like he has been. Regardless what Dick is called. It’s quick and easy, and thats what he on the book for. It won’t be over till he is gone. And even then who knows what’s in store.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-17-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Maybe it is because I don't read enough about New Teen Titans, but it seems Dick doesn't have so much focus there.

Even Dick becoming Nightwing, it just happened near of the end of Judas Contract (and Dick was absent a good part of the story).

Is there an arc in NTT that focus mainly on Dick?

The FBI/Vigilante arcs pretty soon before the Judas Contract were very much Dick-centric. The Outsiders crossover had some important beats also. And he had a good showing in Who is Donna Troy?