Page 157 of 233 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 3481

I'm one of those who disliked Shawn since her first appearance but liked Seeley's Bludhaven. And I didn't lost my mind about a pregnancy that would have never happened. Probably that's something wrong with me, but, imho Shawn was no more than Bea and nothing like Selina.
    Still, I don't get why every Nightwing's new writer keeps erasing his supporting cast and bring some brand new character.

Picolo is Titans fan, and he is a Dick/Kory fan too. I'm kinda sure there will be at least a book for every Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by L.H. View Post
    I'm one of those who disliked Shawn since her first appearance but liked Seeley's Bludhaven. And I didn't lost my mind about a pregnancy that would have never happened. Probably that's something wrong with me, but, imho Shawn was no more than Bea and nothing like Selina.
    Still, I don't get why every Nightwing's new writer keeps erasing his supporting cast and bring some brand new character.

Picolo is Titans fan, and he is a Dick/Kory fan too. I'm kinda sure there will be at least a book for every Titan.
    I said that she was his catwoman only cause of her criminal past, but other than that she is doesn't have much in common with Selina.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

To be honest, Shawn felt like plate spinning and I just never really bought into her as a character the same way Silver St. Cloud didn't work for me as Bruce's love interest.

Anyway, his love life needs a rest. It's become this albatross around his neck and the shippers are turning the fandom into some stupid turf war more about who "wins" than anything in the story.

And I like both ships, for heaven's sake! But give them a rest.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-28-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L.H. View Post

Shawn was nothing like Bea. Shawn had an actual backstory, and was use to help introduced new story and challenges into the book and Bludhaven. Bea is literally just the first random chick Ric ran into. After readers started making fun of Ric for being a hobo, Lobdell tried to add experiences with the homeless to fill her out, but that was just another attempt to spin his poor writing back at readers. But 2 years in she has no real character, and her only purpose is to act as Ric's damsel in distress and give the character one thing to care about in this poorly constructed world they contained him in.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-29-2020 at 09:24 AM.

I think if you were to make a list of qualities a viable love interest would need, Shawn would check off a lot of those boxes. But the execution just didn't nail it. Too rushed maybe. Maybe too many of the boxes were checked and it felt too artificial, or maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard and never expected the character to last beyond the run.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think if you were to make a list of qualities a viable love interest would need, Shawn would check off a lot of those boxes. But the execution just didn't nail it. Too rushed maybe. Maybe too many of the boxes were checked and it felt too artificial, or maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard and never expected the character to last beyond the run.
    I think Seeley addressed the "rushed" complaints in that he felt with modern comics he kind of had to quicken things up to make it as significant as it needed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    To be honest, Shawn felt like plate spinning and I just never really bought into her as a character the same way Silver St. Cloud didn't work for me as Bruce's love interest.

Anyway, his love life needs a rest. It's become this albatross around his neck and the shippers are turning the fandom into some stupid turf war more about who "wins" than anything in the story.

And I like both ships, for heaven's sake! But give them a rest.
    I think Silver St. Cloud is pretty underrated, honestly.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Definitely rushed. I read Seeley's answer, but I still think it's not a good idea, especially with someone in the middle of ship war like Dick.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hate to say it, but there's also longevity. Dick's an 80 year-old character. Introducing a new character and 30 issues later she's The One^TM just isn't going to work no matter how well-executed because most fans have been sitting with their preferred ship for, what, 5+ years? To win them over, we gotta see that new character not only have good chemistry but prove themselves in their own right. If he didn't already have a strong ship, it wouldn't be hard for her to catch on, but she did.

Linda Park didn't have a lot of competition for Wally so that was an easier path. He had, who, Magenta? Not exactly Lois Lane or Mary Jane Watson.

I don't think there's a machete strong enough to cut through the DickBabs and DickFire marsh, so Shawn needed to really sell people over a long period of time before most fans felt she was worthy, so to speak. Much like Val-Zod and PG, it happened way too soon with a relative nobody who had yet to establish themselves as a strong character in their own right and just wasn't meant to be. As such, Shawn was just marked as the run's love-interest of the year to be forgotten when a new team takes over.

See: every Batman love interest that isn't Catwoman, Talia or perhaps Diana.

Dick in particular has such a raging shipping war, however, I don't think Shawn ever really had a chance.

I hate to say it, but there's also longevity. Dick's an 80 year-old character. Introducing a new character and 30 issues later she's The One^TM just isn't going to work no matter how well-executed because most fans have been sitting with their preferred ship for, what, 5+ years? To win them over, we gotta see that new character not only have good chemistry but prove themselves in their own right. If he didn't already have a strong ship, it wouldn't be hard for her to catch on, but she did.

Linda Park didn't have a lot of competition for Wally so that was an easier path. He had, who, Magenta? Not exactly Lois Lane or Mary Jane Watson.

I don't think there's a machete strong enough to cut through the DickBabs and DickFire marsh, so Shawn needed to really sell people over a long period of time before most fans felt she was worthy, so to speak. Much like Val-Zod and PG, it happened way too soon with a relative nobody who had yet to establish themselves as a strong character in their own right and just wasn't meant to be. As such, Shawn was just marked as the run's love-interest of the year to be forgotten when a new team takes over.

See: every Batman love interest that isn't Catwoman, Talia or perhaps Diana.

Dick in particular has such a raging shipping war, however, I don't think Shawn ever really had a chance.
    True but I think you forgot one more detail. Shawn as a new character didn't have her own fanbase to back her. If dick's new love interest already has a some what strong fanbase of her own she would stand alot better chance.

The baby is in Justice League Jason Fabok variant

tumblr_2ede29d77704733d409a4c1c06857e3f_a9b80a6c_540.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The baby is in Justice League Jason Fabok variant

tumblr_2ede29d77704733d409a4c1c06857e3f_a9b80a6c_540.jpg
    What issue is this for? This is the first I'm seeing it

I think Fabok made that to decorate his son's bedroom.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    What issue is this for? This is the first I'm seeing it
    the poster didn't mention. I assume it's one of the Doom Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I think Fabok made that to decorate his son's bedroom.
    oh

I hate to say it, but there's also longevity.

I don't think there's a machete strong enough to cut through the DickBabs and DickFire marsh, so Shawn needed to really sell people over a long period of time before most fans felt she was worthy, so to speak.

That's the thing, we're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Nightwing fandom is pretty passionately split along the Babs/Kori divide, and Babs will never work as a love interest as long as DC is pursuing her as a solo character (including her co-leading the BoP), and Kori will never work as long as DC is intent on keeping Dick more connected to Gotham than Titans Tower.

If DC decided to seriously go with either of those two, the other half of the fandom would revolt and are damn unlikely to embrace the "other side" winning. If DC tries to introduce someone new, it has to be spun out over the long term. It has to be built slowly, so the fans *want* to see a relationship develop and are actively yelling about how long it's taking DC to pull the trigger. But for that to happen, you need people at DC who are interested and capable of that long-term investment, as well as a love interest who is worth rooting for.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What's the first thing you don't like happened to Dick and how'd you do it?