Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
I mean, the interest was pretty much punched out of them by editorial... so there is to hoping it might get better thanks to the changes DC is going through. Dick's writers up to Ric had good ideas. Even Percy was coming around after his first arc. The second someone glimpsed that writers wanted to do something bigger with Dick it was snuffed out.
I don't think many writers are that interested in Nightwing. So I have doubts it will get any better because I don't think Nightwing is positioned well in DC to produce good stories, but maybe I'll be wrong. Dunno. My gut tells me that come March, or whenever we get some announcements post Future State, that the Nightwing book is just going to be the same stuff. Since it has been a long time since Didio was let go and there has been zero evidence that DC looks at Nightwing any differently than they did before. I need to see some change before I believe it.

Even a Seeley didn't want to write Nightwing at first because he had to use stuff like Bludhaven and Blockbuster. It's a problem when a writer that was already writing the character is hesitant to continue writing him because of his baggage, and a Percy I had issues with because he mostly just had a story idea about technology and slapped Nightwing on it kind of awkwardly. Like with having Dick be anti-technology and technology illiterate to try and fit him in the story he wanted to tell. Obviously I would have much preferred that story over the Ric stuff though, lol.

I was actually thinking about Percy's run the other day because I reread the Who is Donna Troy story since I was in the mood to read an actual GOOD Dick Grayson story since it has been so long, haha. That is probably the last great Dick as Robin story ever made which is a bit sad, but in it I noticed how he used computers and even science to try and figure out Donna's mystery. There is actually a panel of him at a science station. It struck me how strange that felt because you don't see Dick like that anymore because of how diffused the Robin identity/characters are now were Dick gets pigeonholed into "the Robin that can do flips well" so him using computers or science are completely absent from his modern stories, but if you try and have him use computers or science now I bet readers would say it is out of place because they have been conditioned for so long to only read the character one way.