Page 40 of 233 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...693525504?s=19

Dan Didio has left DC. Dick might finally get a chance to thrive

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dan DiDio is no longer with DC

I somehow think this is relevant to this thread

https://www.newsarama.com/49148-dan-didio-exits-dc.html

Lol the first Tweets are all best wishes except Rob Liefeld (of course)

Extraordinary Member

I here dan dido destroyer of dreams is out

So should the Titans no existed ? Or be something else? I don’t think they should be part of the JL. I mean there are other hero groups that existed without the JL

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So should the Titans no existed ? Or be something else? I don’t think they should be part of the JL. I mean there are other hero groups that existed without the JL
    Titans should be their own thing, with their own adventures, and not under the purview of the League.

The League deal with global and extraterrestrial threats, so maybe the Titans should just be smaller scale? There's a reason the Justice League dropped the "of America" part of their name - maybe that's a niche Dick and co can fill? And yeah, the League should be allies, but not their superiors. They should be equals.

Textless preview for Nightwing #70.
    https://www.newsarama.com/49146-does...ck-grayon.html

spoilers:
    Sap vs Joker
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-21-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So maybe the Titans are the backups? So how would we need to make titans their own things and not a rip off of JL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...693525504?s=19

Dan Didio has left DC. Dick might finally get a chance to thrive
    holy wait wut. wait. wut. am I excited about DC Comics again?

Remember back when we were talking about the situation with Dick and I pointed out that, if Didio's personal bias really was the reason Dick has been treated so poorly, all we'd need is someone above him to notice and make a call?

It seems the call has been made and Didio is out as co-publisher.

This is the opportunity I was talking about. Let's see what happens when the dust settles, and who replaces Dan and who else from the current management (Lee, Harras, etc) remain.

I'm not going to celebrate Didio leaving. For all his flaws and failed efforts, he wasn't 100% bad, nor is he a monster. And he was, if nothing else, a fan. But this might be when we put to the test all of our claims about Dick as a viable property worthy of investment and effort. I would imagine if AT&T has anything to say about it, the new person will look at larger media success to inform the comics, and Dick's successes there might be what we've been waiting for. But if that person decides the secondary names aren't worth the effort? We may end up missing the days of Didio, when Dick got subpar creators but was still at least around.

Too soon to celebrate....but you can smell the opportunity in the air. If any of you follow AT&T or WB on social media, this is the time to get real f*cking vocal about Nightwing. We show our support right now, as loud as we can, in the hopes that it reaches the right ears and they recognize what we believe; that Nightwing can be more than just a Robin.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm not a fan of Didio. I'm not sad he is gone at all, but just because he is gone I don't think things are suddenly going to get better for Dick's character. People like Didio obviously didn't like legacy characters like Dick and didn't understand their appeal once they got older, but there are still serious issues that go beyond just him. In story things like Bludhaven still being a creative wasteland that Dick is unfortunately stuck in, but there weren't a ton of big creators knocking at the door to use Dick for anything, even in books outside the DCU where they probably had more freedom to use him, so things might just stay as they are and it won't bring about major changes. I really have no idea.

But the comic division at DC Comics is just a small part of the AT&T/WB company. How Dick is used in the comics is so insignificant to them on the grand scale of things. So it could be very likely that Didio stepping down or being removed is just the larger WB company wanting to streamline things more and the comic division might become even less significant. It is hard to say.

Dick current problems is not just a Didio issue, Ric seemed more a result of Bob Harras then Didio even. They have to right the ship that is DC in general now. When and if that trickles down to Dick we will see i guess, but it probably won't be for a while. DC is clearly undergoing some big internal shifts. Which who know where they are going with that.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-21-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Yeah, we don't exactly know who decided to prolong Ric this long when they at first was not even sure about it... or do we?

Lodbell said he was the one that got Ric to last longer and campaigned for it. He originally said it was supposed to last 3 or so issues but he thought the Ric story could be like Dick's Oracle story and wanted it to last a lot longer. Then when that failed immediately he left the book as soon as he could, lol.

But Ric was a good way to write Dick out of the other ongoing stories at that time. This is just speculation but after Lobdell got Ric to last longer the character was stuck in a awkward position of these big Batman and JL stories going on at the same time. Obviously if Dick came back quickly then you would think that he would have been inserted into King's Batman story, Wally's HiC story, or Snyder's JL story which all involved Dick's close friends and allies going though these major things. Dick would look like an awful person if he just ignored everything that was going on. Extending the Ric story just meant they could have an easy excuse to ignore Dick's character while these other stories were going on. That is why I think it lasted so long at least. As for who approved all this I guess it was the main editors, guess the Batman ones, at the time along with Lobdell.

Right, but who is listening to Lobdell in the first place. Thats what says Harras to me. Didio positions himself as a lighting rod, but Harras is the EiC. Things like Ric and the day to day story directions is under his and his editors purview.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-21-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Right, but who is listening to Lobdell in the first place. Thats what says Harras to me. Didio positions himself as a lighting rod, but Harras is the EiC. Things like Ric and the day to day story directions is under his and his editors purview.
    Oh yeah. Harras and Lobdell are friends, right? Old 90s Marvel buddies?
    By the way, I was surprised when I read the Age of Apocalypse issues by Lobdell because his writing sounds exactly the same.