Page 21 of 233 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    This is gorgeous

Nightwing 71 by Travis Moore

This is amazing.

Glad that Dick's ugly New 52 Robin costume is nowhere on those covers. I completely understand people not liking Dick's classic Robin costume because it is so ridiculous by today's standards, but I really can't stand his New 52 one. It annoys me so much every time I have to look at it. It removed all the iconic elements out of the costume and it looks like an over-designed mess. Jason's New 52 Robin costume had more iconic elements with the exposed arms and yellow cape.

I'll never understand why they just didn't give his iconic Robin costume pants and boots. That is all it really needed to be vastly less ridiculous and you keep the classic red vest with the stitching and green sleeves. The Teen Titans cartoon did it easily nearly 20 years ago now.

Also Steph getting her own Robin cover is a mistake, especially over Jason. Not even Damian got his own cover. She sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the other 5 Robins as she never added anything to the identity or legacy. Carrie was the first female Robin and is part of an iconic story at least. I get her fans are obsessed with her being "counted" as one despite only being Robin for like 3 issues in a one off event that she wasn't even the focus of, but she really shouldn't be there in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    LoL the confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Also Steph getting her own Robin cover is a mistake, especially over Jason. Not even Damian got his own cover. She sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the other 5 Robins as she never added anything to the identity or legacy. Carrie was the first female Robin and is part of an iconic story at least. I get her fans are obsessed with her being "counted" as one despite only being Robin for like 3 issues in a one off event that she wasn't even the focus of, but she really shouldn't be there in my opinion.
    Steph's cover is at Tim's expense, not Jason's. Jason was unlucky in that Carrie and he both date from the same decade. Carrie's the reason he lost out.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The covers look great.

I get using Carrie for the 80's cover. It's Miller, it's DKR, it's a little diversity, etc. Sucks for Jason but his tenure as Robin is remarkable only because he died; his star didn't truly rise until he was Red Hood.

But really, the Steph cover is pretty awful. She was Robin for what, five minutes? Did it even last an actual year? Should've been Tim. Again, Steph makes for slightly better representation and that sort of thing should always be a consideration in business, but still. Should've been Tim.

At the very least, Tim and Jason should have shared the covers with Carrie and Steph, I think.

And Damien should've had his own cover. The group shot is fantastic; that's the cover I want, but Damien really should've had his own.

Dick looks fantastic on all of his covers though. They really did right by him, and I'm glad they used his classic look instead of the new generic re-designs.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But really, the Steph cover is pretty awful. She was Robin for what, five minutes? Did it even last an actual year?
    Afaik 4 issues.

The covers look great.

I get using Carrie for the 80's cover. It's Miller, it's DKR, it's a little diversity, etc. Sucks for Jason but his tenure as Robin is remarkable only because he died; his star didn't truly rise until he was Red Hood.

But really, the Steph cover is pretty awful. She was Robin for what, five minutes? Did it even last an actual year? Should've been Tim. Again, Steph makes for slightly better representation and that sort of thing should always be a consideration in business, but still. Should've been Tim.

At the very least, Tim and Jason should have shared the covers with Carrie and Steph, I think.

And Damien should've had his own cover. The group shot is fantastic; that's the cover I want, but Damien really should've had his own.

Dick looks fantastic on all of his covers though. They really did right by him, and I'm glad they used his classic look instead of the new generic re-designs.
    Stephanie was a very liked and important support cast for Tim, and she was also a Batgirl that people liked plenty. She's a girl, she's well liked: she gets a cover, even if she was Robin for like two minutes. It's a marketing choice, because a lot of people is going to want her cover. Jason, on the other hand, even if he has more fans (and I think he has), is not going to sell so well, probably.

Saying that Jason's only remarkable thing he did as Robin is dying is pretty unfair. I'm not saying this because I'm a big fan of him; but when you take into account his pre and post-crisis versions, he was the Robin in The Cult, he was the Robin that saved Superman and the trinity in one of the most famous Superman stories, he was the character which with Killer Croc and I think a bunch of other villains debuted with. His tenure was short and had the drama (for me) of being rebooted halfway in; but it's not just "he died in that not very good story about Batman failing and Joker wining that was decided by a poll".

But it's Miller. You want Miller in an 80's cover: who would you, if not? And because it's Miller, it's going to be Carrie. So, well, as I said, life is unfair and you have to learn to deal with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Carrie is cool and she doesn't get the spotlight a lot. Let's have her.

Edit: putting two Robins in the same cover... I don't know, maybe some people would prefer just one alone. But I would buy one with both Carrie and Jason, or Tim and Steph, if I could.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-24-2020 at 12:37 PM.

While i don’t really care one way or the other about Steph getting a cover, but where is Duke then?

Also I don’t care how much one is a fan a Jason, his death was by far the most remarkable thing that happen during his tenure by a huge margin. Saving Superman isn’t even in the ball park. Come on now.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-24-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    While i don’t really care one way or the other about Steph getting a cover, but where is Duke then?

Also I don’t care how much one is a fan a Jason, his death was by far the most remarkable thing that happen during his tenure by a huge margin. Saving Superman isn’t even in the ball park. Come on now.
    It may be the most remarkable. But it isn't the only remarkable thing about his Robin. That's what I was arguing. It's hard to deny it, when dying had impact for others characters for a decade. Even if the impact is of my dislike half the time because they blamed him and turned him sometimes into something he wasn't. But is wasn't the only remarkable thing (quoting Ascended: "his tenure as Robin is remarkable only because he died").
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-24-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    It may be the most remarkable. But it isn't the only remarkable thing about his Robin. That's what I was arguing. It's hard to deny it, when dying had impact for others characters for a decade. Even if the impact is of my dislike half the time because they blamed him and turned him sometimes into something he wasn't.
    But it is though. Nothing else comes even close to it, that’s what it is to be remarkable. Everything else that happen during his tenure is so under that bar that you can’t really call them remarkable then.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-24-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    But it is though. Nothing else comes even close to it, that’s what it is to be remarkable. Everything else that happen during his tenure is so under that bar that can’t seriously call them remarkable.
    What does Damian go for him that's remarkable, outside his Batman and Robin with Dick?
    Or Tim, outside some of his years in Robin? And the thing is, most people only remember his father's death and his Red Robin run.
    Or Dick, outsiode being the first, the original, and a pretty good leader for the Titans and their stories? In forty-something years of history as Robin?

When you cut that close, then, every Robin has only one or maybe two things remarkable for them.
    As I said, it's unfair, to said that the only remarkable thing for Jason is that, because it's not. He had more stuff in his run, and that run was painfully sort: it lasted 6 years, or 5 and a half. With a reboot that messed up a lot of the continuity and hit Jason like a bus. I think it's pretty remarkable that some stories with him, or some villains, survived enough that a lot of people can remember them (even if it's not most people). It's remarkable too, for Dick, because he was Robin in times when stories didn't need him to be an actual character; and yet you can remember stories from the 70's, for example, even when they're not big. That's remarkable, too, even if it's not a long lasting impact. Just like what Jason had for him.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-24-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    What does Damian go for him that's remarkable, outside his Batman and Robin with Dick?
    Or Tim, outside some of his years in Robin? And the thing is, most people only remember his father's death and his Red Robin run.
    Or Dick, outsiode being the first, the original, and a pretty good leader for the Titans and their stories? In forty-something years of history as Robin?

When you cut that close, then, every Robin has only one or maybe two things remarkable for them.
    As I said, it's unfair, to said that the only remarkable thing for Jason is that, because it's not. He had more stuff in his run, and that run was painfully sort: it lasted 6 years, or 5 and a half. With a reboot that messed up a lot of the continuity and hit Jason like a bus. I think it's pretty remarkable that some stories with him, or some villains, survived enough that a lot of people can remember them (even if it's not most people). It's remarkable too, for Dick, because he was Robin in times when stories didn't need him to be an actual character; and yet you can remember stories from the 70's, for example, even when they're not big. That's remarkable, too, even if it's not a long standing impact. Just like what Jason had for him.

Oh c'mon! Let's ignore Tim's entire run as a solo, and a Titan, and in Young justice, and Damian's entire existnce. There is a reason Lobdell had to take from every other Robin to make somehing of Jason's history.

I’m not cutting it close, your just lowering the bar for what it is to be remarkable. Being the Robin in a Batman story isn’t remarkable, being around when other characters are created isn’t remarkable. Dying is what made his Robin tenure remarkable. The rest of what he did as Robin are footnotes by comparison. He didn’t last very long, and he wasn’t a Robin they used to bring the role into a new age. His tenure is marked because he died. If you start tying to claim everything as remarkable, it redefines what actually was or is remarkable.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-24-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Oh c'mon! Let's ignore Tim's entire run as a solo, and a Titan, and in Young justice, and Damian's entire existnce. There is a reason Lobdell had to take from every other Robin to make somehing of Jason's history.
    I'm someone who has a mild knowledge of Tim's comics. I like them and know some of them and I'm not afraid of reading "old" books, read some of them; how many spot hits can remember someone who's not a fan of the character? You have to keep in mind that just because you do, some people don't have to. Stuff from more 20 years ago is older enough that most people is not going to be familiar or know about it. A lot of people hasn't read Tim in TT and YJ before Flashpoint (sadly, people are really missing a really fun read with YJ. I've not read TT, so I wouldn't know). A lot of people hasn't read his Robin run either. Most people remember him because he appears in certain stories that had impact, like (unfortunately) Identity Crisis. This is why people who remembers Tim either remembers him in that awful story, remembers him in some Batman story, remember him in his RR book (that falls under the 20 mark), or remembers him for his most recent books.

This works to for other characters. Think about Azrael, for example. There's Knightfall and... that run in the 90's? I can't remember much outside Knighfall, to be honest. I'm not interested in the character, and I've not find anyone recommending me any other story.
    But the trial by fire is going to be Damian: seeing how Damian evolves in 20 years, how many people is going to remember Son of Batman or Supersons. I loved Supersons, and nowadays I see a lot of people recommending it. But in 20, I don't know... Dickbats, on the other hand, is going to be read once and again and be remembered.

Well, in my opinion.

We know our faves stories because they're our faves and we read them. But this isn't the same for other people who like other characters. I know near to nothing about Cassandra Cain, for example. I can't tell a remarkable thing about her outside her origin story and her being Batgirl. But can't remember a single story or hit outside that. Edit 2: and well, as I said, isn't it unfair when we cannot tell more than a thing or two about a character? But fans know better. We can tell more important things to fill in that list.

Maybe it's just me, that I'm a casual and it shows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But I don't think this time it's the case.

Edit: or we have different definitions about what's remarkable. That seems to be the case.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-24-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The covers look great.

All of this. That Kaare Andrews cover is my jam.

I hate how Batman in the 80s is so cemented with DKR. Hot take, I know, but I really do not love that book. I think Year One is way stronger and the most important moment in Robin's history during the 80s is either Jason's death or Dick graduating to Nightwing. Carrie is fine, but unremarkable in comparison.