Page 181 of 233 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 3481
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    She got an Age Reset in the 80s. She did graduate and work, then quit the job to go back to college in the 70s, but in 1982, she started college again as a high school graduate.

Meanwhile, according to Marv Wolfman, Dick was 21 years old in 1984 when he became Nightwing
    And an age reset in 2004, and an age reset in 2011. As well as her story involving her history repeating thrice, almost like every time there's a timeline change her escape rocket ship gets caught in the time dilation ripple and lands after the Event, destined to always show up at Earth age 17 after an Event, even as other characters who debuted around the same time do very slowly get older.

Supergirl's age is weird. Like isn't she technically older than Clark? And he's in his mid-30s. But she was ... in stasis or something? But I feel like I get that weirdness because the gist of the idea was "let's introduce a Super-Girl! This one will be more legit than previous ones, she's actually Clark's little cousin! She's an El!" but then like two weeks after her debut someone was like "Hey, Otto, if Superman was literally an infant sent from Krypton the day it exploded ... how the hell does he have a YOUNGER cousin?" So she's got a little bit of weird age built-in. It's not Arisia bad or anything. Just a wacky sci-fi solution to a storytelling problem.

Actually it occurs to me that I've fallen off the Supergirl books, mainly after who was it, Steve Orlando's cool run? I liked that they added a lot of CW vibes but I'm curious if she comes across as more young adult now? Like what age is she supposed to be representing? The internship at CatCo and stuff like that feels very college-level, which at least to me feels a little more "Tim Drake & Stephanie Brown Age".

Dick of course feels like someone who, "age-wise", has recently gotten his PhD in Superheroics.

Either way I'll say that as far as looks go, in-costume, either a Dick/Supergirl or Dick/Power Girl or Dick/Superpowergirl match would at least Look Fantastic, her all blonde and nice and bright, him all raven-haired and bad-ass, but kind-hearted. Very Eowyn & Faramir.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Being him in closer with the Superman family. I would love for him and Jon to meet.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    And an age reset in 2004, and an age reset in 2011. As well as her story involving her history repeating thrice, almost like every time there's a timeline change her escape rocket ship gets caught in the time dilation ripple and lands after the Event, destined to always show up at Earth age 17 after an Event, even as other characters who debuted around the same time do very slowly get older.

Supergirl's age is weird. Like isn't she technically older than Clark? And he's in his mid-30s. But she was ... in stasis or something? But I feel like I get that weirdness because the gist of the idea was "let's introduce a Super-Girl! This one will be more legit than previous ones, she's actually Clark's little cousin! She's an El!" but then like two weeks after her debut someone was like "Hey, Otto, if Superman was literally an infant sent from Krypton the day it exploded ... how the hell does he have a YOUNGER cousin?" So she's got a little bit of weird age built-in. It's not Arisia bad or anything. Just a wacky sci-fi solution to a storytelling problem.

Actually it occurs to me that I've fallen off the Supergirl books, mainly after who was it, Steve Orlando's cool run? I liked that they added a lot of CW vibes but I'm curious if she comes across as more young adult now? Like what age is she supposed to be representing? The internship at CatCo and stuff like that feels very college-level, which at least to me feels a little more "Tim Drake & Stephanie Brown Age".

Dick of course feels like someone who, "age-wise", has recently gotten his PhD in Superheroics.

Either way I'll say that as far as looks go, in-costume, either a Dick/Supergirl or Dick/Power Girl or Dick/Superpowergirl match would at least Look Fantastic, her all blonde and nice and bright, him all raven-haired and bad-ass, but kind-hearted. Very Eowyn & Faramir.
    Kara was on high school during her internship at Catco.

I wouldn't like Dick and Kara. I think Kara is to too younger and unexperienced compared to Dick.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-08-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Meanwhile, according to Marv Wolfman, Dick was 21 years old in 1984 when he became Nightwing
    No he was 19 when he became Nightwing (after being 18 since 1969) and had his 20th Birthday during Crisis.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

Not always, in the original version, she was born and raised in Argo City along with her parents and other Krypton survivors thanks to the shield dome her father built, until one day the shield broke and... somehow... maybe because of the lack of resources since it's only one city... there's only one ship, and so Kara was rocketed to Earth.

In the later versions, yeah, she's in stasis. The rocket got caught revolving around the sun, and so she built up more powers than Clark by the time she got to Earth.

I don't follow the current series

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    No he was 19 when he became Nightwing (after being 18 since 1969) and had his 20th Birthday during Crisis.
    Oh, he changed his mind then. In that interview, he said he was writing, and Perez was drawing him as 21 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    For backstory, no, that's standard, classic Supergirl (and it *is* interesting stuff). For personality.....I dunno if we can say the New52 was outside the norm, because Kara hasn't really had a "norm" for thirty-something years.

She usually bounces between "All-American sweetheart" and "angry, angsty teen" depending on which way the wind is blowing outside DC's offices.

I wouldn't be completely against it either, though I think Karen is still the more interesting match.
    I'm in danger of just making this a thread about Supergirl here I feel like, but whatever. "All-american sweetheart" is the characterization/personality I assumed was standard fair for supergirl, and it's the characterization that I think is bogus/lazy/blowing right past a beautiful chance to write something that is both a good comic book and a good social commentary without being shoehorned and preachy. Angsty teen is a lot closer to the characterization I'd love to see, but is still certainly a bit reductionist. It has been forever since I read it, but n52 Supergirl took her characterization in great direction for me. She wasn't comfortable on earth or in America. She was surrounded by aliens (from her pov) in a bizarre and backwards culture. That is a downright fascinating character for the Super family mythos; one that goes beyond the "Hey, you know how Superman is popular? Well this ones a GIRRRRRRLLL!!!!"

I think given the correct ages, that could make for a good ship with Dick. Empathetic. Has his own backstory of not really having a "home." I'm not sure that its the *best* ship for Dick. It's honestly just that I like both characters more than that I think they are crying out to be together. (Which is also probably why I've always been in favor of Stephanie Brown migrating into Dick's world as an annoying little sister trope.)

I do think the PG ship fits a bit nicer. All of the characterization I've read of her is a confident, powerful woman who doesn't take herself too seriously. Her solo from right before n52 had a healthy helping of humor, which slides in well with the tone a Nightwing book should take. Also, both Nightwing and Power Girl have been sex symbols of the comic industry (which, tbf, can be and at times has been problematic for both... could certainly be made a bit more subtle and dignified for Karen, I'd say).

Yeah, the adjustment and learning curve for Kara arriving on earth, how she comes to terms with what happened to Krypton, not to mention her "baby" cousin.....the whole thing could be far more interesting than DC usually sells it, they tend to just jump right over all of that so Kara can be a functional person in the world, wear a cape, and save lives. Even when DC tries to dig into all this a little bit, they never do much more than dip a toe into the water and it usually goes along with Kara having a crappy personality. I mean, you'd expect a teen going through all this to have an attitude and struggle but DC is just like "nope, angsty asshole teen is who she is and not just a result of what she's going through!"

For me, one of the biggest problems with a Kara-Dick thing is that Kara is a solo act with her own title. You'd run into the same problems you would if Dick were with Babs; as long as Babs (or Kara) have their own solo books, the logistics of a relationship with Dick is basically impossible as you'll have different writers in control, trying to pull things in their own direction. Look at how much DC struggled to balance Clark and Diana; the Wonder Woman book never even mentioned it because it went against the story Azz signed on for, and that's just the most obvious problem DC had trying to make two solo stars operate as a couple.

Better for a love interest to not have a solo title, to ensure that the relationship and dynamic is being driven by a single, unified vision. Team membership is fine, as long as the writer of the team book doesn't get to decide on the direction of the love interest.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Anybody think they'll ever collect the pre-Flashpoint Nightwing in any hardcover format? I prefer hardcovers...

Also, is there a list of comics where Dick appears as Batman?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

After reading JL#54 I well say this, it good to see bignames like lex respect nightwing. Nightwing been in the minors for so long I thought big leaguers like lex and other JL forgot or didn't know who he was. So it good see nightwing isn't a no name, it's easy to forget now a days.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Anybody think they'll ever collect the pre-Flashpoint Nightwing in any hardcover format? I prefer hardcovers...

Nightwing Year One's getting an HC deluxe but that's it, so maybe someday once he gets even more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post

Dixon’s stuff possibly, maybe Higgins cause it’s a complete volume.

And this is what I could find. Prodigal, Batman and Robin vol 1-4; Batman: Long Shadows; Batman: Life After Death; Batman: Eye of the Beholder; Streets of Gotham vol 1-3; Batman: The Gates of Gotham; Batman: The Black Mirror

Nightwing Year One's getting an HC deluxe but that's it, so maybe someday once he gets even more popular.
    Yeah, snapped that one up real quick, gorgeous design.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Dixon’s stuff possibly, maybe Higgins cause it’s a complete volume.

And this is what I could find. Prodigal, Batman and Robin vol 1-4; Batman: Long Shadows; Batman: Life After Death; Batman: Eye of the Beholder; Streets of Gotham vol 1-3; Batman: The Gates of Gotham; Batman: The Black Mirror
    One can hope. Thanks for the list bud.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Extraordinary Member

He needs an animated movie

But what would his animated movie be about? I mean with Kara or Babs we have have the issue of Dc breaking them up. I mean Babs can be very jealous and nagging and Kara whole kind they might go the Starfire route and make her think Dick is cheating. I mean honestly Batman can appear in other books but not Dick. Sucks. Nightwing is a great hero and shouldn’t be limited to just Batman books.

Astonishing Member

I've read a theory that Young Justice makes Damian a baby, because they want Dick and Damian to be Batman and Robin in the future (since Bruce would be older).

I hope this isn't true, because that would mean they only see Nightwing as an intermediate state between Robin and Batman.