Page 189 of 233 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 3481

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Why should the good will towards Dick be tied to a character intrinsically connected to one of the worst periods of his publication?

It's not like she's been part of anything good.
    It shouldn’t. Bea is a nothing of a character who’s only purpose is to be bait. The fact that there isn’t a clear spreation with Dick and Ric is so off the mark it’s absurd that anyone on this book has there job.

Why should the good will towards Dick be tied to a character intrinsically connected to one of the worst periods of his publication?

It's not like she's been part of anything good.
    I hate fridging, it's dumb and lazy, and I'm just barely mustering the goodwill to care enough get into Nightwing. while I really like him with bea, I wouldn't be broken up about it if they broke up, go their separate says, but if they go that route I'm fine dropping him again and giving him another shoot x amount of years later. Dick Grayson, Ric Grayson, it's the same character who's only so-so interesting without weak story beats like that bogging down his enjoyability. at least Ric was an actually story arc (even if people are winging too much to acknowledge that).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-20-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I like Bea but it's true that she is too closely tied to Ric. As long as she continues to be part of Nightwing Ric will always be part of Nightwing too. If this had been an actually thought out arc and a good run, that might have been great because it would have finally added to the Nightwing lore but it isn't. All I can hope for is that they will have a proper heart-to-heart before they go their separate ways after Dick has kicked KGBeast's ass even if I think an assassin taking someone hostage instead of just killing them is a stupid assassin. But, considering how the heart-to-hearts went this issue, expect for the ghost, I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I hate fridging, it's dumb and lazy, and I'm just barely mustering the goodwill to care enough get into Nightwing. while I really like him with bea, I wouldn't be broken up about it if they broke up, go their separate says, but if they go that route I'm fine dropping him again and giving him another shoot x amount of years later. Dick Grayson, Ric Grayson, it's the same character who's only so-so interesting without weak story beats like that bogging down his enjoyability. at least Ric was an actually story arc (even if people are winging too much to acknowledge that).
    She is pretty much fridged every arc at this point, it doesn’t make any sense she is still alive at this point. Her only purpose is to be dangled by villains. Ric entire story arc was built on weak story beats (even if people don’t like Dick cause too many others do acknowledge it).
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-20-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Fridging is bad in general, and it'd be more tasteful to quietly write her out of the book. But she's also a non-character tied to a horrible storyline and not someone of importance. This wouldn't be Kory or Babs getting fridged here. It'd be stupid, but it would just be a dumb end to her dumb existence.

It very much is not the same character. Saying this stuff in an appreciation thread for a character you don't like and going to bat for Bea of all plot devices is certainly an...odd choice.

Yeah, Bea is a complete non character. About as interesting as a bowl of cornflakes. Don't get how anyone could like her. I'm hoping they kill her and all the fake Nightwings off since at least it would be unexpected. Of course they won't though, but I'd rather have these worthless characters go out with a bang than just fade off into irrelevance. At least try and get some value out of them in this disaster of a run.

But **** me. I can't believe they are STILL going on about this "I don't know who I am and need to find myself" garbage. He was saying the exact same things as Ric. It's been two years and nothing has changed. It's like the story is just running into a brick wall over and over while the writer is trying to act that he is digging deep into who Dick is as a character, but he isn't. Jurgens doesn't understand the character at all. Saying that Dick enjoyed his time as Ric even though all he did was just act like a generic superhero in an awful costume, complain about it the whole time, and get constantly manipulated by villains over and over. Then on top of that he treated Alfred like crap and wasn't there for his friends and allies when they needed him, but yeah, Ric was a swell time for him. Again these writers are trying to push this idea that Dick cares so desperately for a normal life when in reality it is completely counter to who Dick is and has been, but for some reason they still try to push it and it always falls flat.

Also trying to act like he is so in love with Bea that he he questioning if he should give up his old life as Nightwing and everyone associated with it for her is beyond stupid. Who cares. It's so frustrating. I'm so done with these worthless original love interests that are just deadweight in a story. And of course we get Donna, Garth, Bruce, Barbara, and ghost Alfred show up but still no mention of Damian, Wally, or Roy and everything that happened with them while Dick was apparently living his best life as Ric. Having Donna and Garth act super happy that Dick is back despite no mention of why they didn't try to help him just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also I have no clue how any of this takes place before Batman #100. That whole part with Bruce hanging up the Nightwing costume on top of a building and acting like it was going to be a surprise gift for Dick was so bizarre.
    Last edited by Badou; 10-20-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Bea was one of the only things I liked about the Ric saga and I was kinda hoping she and Dick would stay together for a bit. But since that's looking less and less likely, I guess writing her out is the next logical step...I'd just rather it not be by killing her. I woudn't be broken up if she got fridged but I'd prefer she didn't. You don't have to kill a character every time you run out of things to do with them. Especially someone as minor as her. Just have her and Dick come to a mutual understanding and let her walk off into sunset, only to be seen whenever Dick calls in a favor from those fake Nightwings.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    She is pretty much fridged every arc at this point, it doesn’t make any sense she is still alive at this point. Her only purpose is to be dangled by villains.
    I really hate how true that is -___-

Are they ever not actually story arc? Of course is a story arc, one with so little substance that the character had to lose his memory three times in two years, but yes a story arc.

Bea probably will play out the same way that amnesic Bruce's girlfriend went.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 10-20-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Are they ever not actually story arc? Of course is a story arc, one with so little substance that the character had to lose his memory three times in two years, but yes a story arc.

Bea probably will play out the same way that amnesic Bruce's girlfriend went.
    Wasn't that a revamped Julie Madison?
    Did she just piss off on back to limbo once that was over?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wasn't that a revamped Julie Madison?
    Did she just piss off on back to limbo once that was over?
    Yes
    Yeah. It was All-Star Batman, BatCat, Metal, Justice League, so she's not appearing anywhere ever

Julie Madison in Snyder's run was Bea done right. In that Superheavy arc by Snyder she represented the life Bruce could have had if he was only Bruce Wayne and Batman never existed. Then when he got his memories back he knew that going back to Batman would close the door on that potential life with her, which it did. There was also a very clear difference between Bruce as he was without his memories and Bruce with them. Which made sense because if there wasn't then he wouldn't really be giving up anything by going back to Batman. That arc would be pointless if he was the same all through it.

With Jurgens he is trying to say there is no difference between Dick or Ric. That as Ric he was still himself all along, which makes this whole terrible arc pointless. Even in the latest issue Dick is still questioning himself if he wants to be Nightwing. There was no moment in this whole arc where Dick accepted who he is with his memories and embraced it. Where he is resolute in his decision the way Bruce was when he accepted his memories of being Batman and all the responsibilities that came with it. It's just Dick/Ric complaining or being uncertain of himself again. That whole scene with Donna and Garth talking about how great those early Titans days were and Dick is basically coming across as thinking those days weren't that good. It's so tone deaf. No reader or fan wants to see that. Then he is desperately trying to convince Bea that he is still Ric and that nothing will have to change. It's so frustrating.

Of course the problem with this whole arc is that Dick as Ric was doing the exact same things he was doing as Dick, just more ineffectually. Since he was just running around as a costumed hero and fighting the same villains as always, but somehow he is still unsure if he wants that? How does that make sense? We haven't seen him do anything else other than drive a cab for a few panels. The writers failed to set up any kind of alternative despite having so many fucking issues. Bruce when he lost his memories was living a completely different life. Since it was trying to represent the life he could have had without Batman. Also it was Alfred that decided not to give him his memories back. Alfred wanted Bruce to live a life without burden and danger because he cared about him so much. Which was smart because it wasn't Bruce rejecting his memories as Batman, complaining about his old life he doesn't remember, and acting kind of awful to the people that he is supposed to care about. Which of course is what happened with the Ric story where Dick did all three of those things.

This whole arc was written and managed so poorly that I can't understand how anyone can defend it. Like every single decision from the very beginning was just the creators stumbling over themselves and falling into a hole they kept on digging.
    Last edited by Badou; 10-20-2020 at 02:27 PM.

I'm running back here after I saw some spoiler image because of course I'm not buying this and... WHY IS HE KEEPING THAT AWFUL HALF-BUCKY COSTUME DIDN'T JOKER GAVE HIM THAT oh wait no that's what he wore before Joker came around... that's his I'm Looking For My True Self Suit BUT HE CHANGED IT TO A NIGHTWING COSTUME WHEN HE GOT HIS MEMORY BACK EFF OFF

Dick as Ric is doing the same thing as Dick and now Dick as Dick is doing the same thing as Ric... honestly just... stop. You're dragging this thing to 2021.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-20-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm running back here after I saw some spoiler image because of course I'm not buying this and... WHY IS HE KEEPING THAT AWFUL HALF-BUCKY COSTUME DIDN'T JOKER GAVE HIM THAT oh wait no that's what he wore before Joker came around... that's his I'm Looking For My True Self Suit BUT HE CHANGED IT TO A NIGHTWING COSTUME WHEN HE GOT HIS MEMORY BACK EFF OFF

Dick as Ric is doing the same thing as Dick and now Dick as Dick is doing the same thing as Ric... honestly just... stop. You're dragging this thing to 2021.
    Please buy it , we need to tick nightwing sales back up now that Dick is back. Bea needs to vanish into the abyss, they cant kill her due to the political climate but she needs to go

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Please buy it , we need to tick nightwing sales back up now that Dick is back. Bea needs to vanish into the abyss, they cant kill her due to the political climate but she needs to go
    But Dick isn't back, not really, and the oversized Issue really isn't worth the extra money.

I regretted purchasing it the second I saw the price tag and reading the Issue didn't help. Dan Jurgens is still right there. Though, I might return for #77 depending on who the kindred spirit is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Sorry dude, I don't give a ****

I'm not your usual DC fans who's beholden to a series. If I think the character's better written in other books, then I'd rather his solo gone and have him in that other book coz then I'll actually enjoy it.

Also, this is Dick. He'll survive a cancellation or two.

DC needs to show that they earn my trust first before coming back, and that means actually showing me a good story, and a minimum of 3 years of not bothering with his story arc and supporting cast, because they've shown I can't trust them with just 1-2 years anymore.

That standard will rise up every time they mess with him, so if they mess him after 4 years next time, I'm gonna freaking wait 5 years. **** them.

I'll give you this though, I don't think they're gonna kill Bea, not because of politic, because some DC writers are that unaware and I don't know where this one stands, but because Dick as at this point where he doubts becoming Nightwing again, and losing Bea will make him think Nightwing is not worth it.