Page 208 of 233 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3481

Red Hood is just a jumpsuit with a jacket. Its the same vein. The black and blue jumsuit was sleak 20 years ago, but after multiple variations of it the look has gotten stale. Especially since the variations just get simpler and simpler. Its funny though, im not sure how its become Nightwing fans enforcing this. Like they have any influence over anything.

BTW im not sure the Future State Titans suit is even a new suit, or just an artist variation on his mullet phase suit.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-06-2020 at 12:43 AM.

It looks more like an eyesore to me, but I'm not wholly against the look.

But most characters tend to not change their base costume look once they settle on a "look."

Yeah I don't see why some are so antsy for a new look. I mean actually I do, because getting new things generates discussion and whatnot, but I really hate when people move away from what works. I really don't see how much more of any improvement you can get over the current design. Trying to change it for the sake of change just results in unnecessary details. Like when Jim Lee put the cuffs on the new Superman suit to make it "his own." No it isn't and you didn't add anything of value. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I think Nightwing has one of the coolest and most modern looking costume in comics, and I wouldn't want to roll the dice for any if the minor adjustments I'd like to see on it. Just look at Jason and Barbara's terrible redesigns. They are not and will not ever be their iconic look, and they will date all of the stories that they appear in when read in the future.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Yeah I don't see why some are so antsy for a new look. I mean actually I do, because getting new things generates discussion and whatnot, but I really hate when people move away from what works. I really don't see how much more of any improvement you can get over the current design. Trying to change it for the sake of change just results in unnecessary details. Like when Jim Lee put the cuffs on the new Superman suit to make it "his own." No it isn't and you didn't add anything of value. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I think Nightwing has one of the coolest and most modern looking costume in comics, and I wouldn't want to roll the dice for any if the minor adjustments I'd like to see on it. Just look at Jason and Barbara's terrible redesigns. They are not and will not ever be their iconic look, and they will date all of the stories that they appear in when read in the future.
    All of this. Well said.

Oh man, I forgot about those cuffs. And so did a lot of artists .

Pretty much this.

Dick's blue-black costume is about as close to classic as he has, and it's an infinitely better design than most; simple, sleek, eye-catching and immediately recognizable as his. There's a reason the basic design hasn't changed in decades, and we've seen that it translates well to live action, animation and video games, which is more than can be said for many heroes.

I do think Dick needs a marketable emblem instead of the chevron (or in addition to it) but generally his classic costume is one of those things where you don't need to reinvent the wheel. A little "artistic interpretation" is all you need; look at that art by Dan Mora a page back; it's not *strictly* the blue-black costume as we've seen it but it's instantly recognizable as Nightwing and that kind of minor tweaking is all you need.

That said, I also have no problem with Dick wearing a different costume once in a while as part of a specific story. Back in Infinite Crisis didn't he briefly wear the blue-yellow suit from the 90's because he needed the glider? Stuff like that, like when Bruce wears an all-white suit when he's in the arctic, that's fine. But the standard costume? Dick's is as close to perfect as you can get, and on the list of things in the Nightwing IP that need work, the costume is at the bottom of the list.

Also, did we get news of who the creators are going to be? That was supposed to be today right? I can't find anything on it though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty much this.

Dick's blue-black costume is about as close to classic as he has, and it's an infinitely better design than most; simple, sleek, eye-catching and immediately recognizable as his. There's a reason the basic design hasn't changed in decades, and we've seen that it translates well to live action, animation and video games, which is more than can be said for many heroes.

I do think Dick needs a marketable emblem instead of the chevron (or in addition to it) but generally his classic costume is one of those things where you don't need to reinvent the wheel. A little "artistic interpretation" is all you need; look at that art by Dan Mora a page back; it's not *strictly* the blue-black costume as we've seen it but it's instantly recognizable as Nightwing and that kind of minor tweaking is all you need.

That said, I also have no problem with Dick wearing a different costume once in a while as part of a specific story. Back in Infinite Crisis didn't he briefly wear the blue-yellow suit from the 90's because he needed the glider? Stuff like that, like when Bruce wears an all-white suit when he's in the arctic, that's fine. But the standard costume? Dick's is as close to perfect as you can get, and on the list of things in the Nightwing IP that need work, the costume is at the bottom of the list.

Also, did we get news of who the creators are going to be? That was supposed to be today right? I can't find anything on it though.
    Not as yet. Just Detective, Harley & Batman/Superman so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Future State Batman panel is already over, they only announced Harley and TEC. So we'll have to wait for the solicits this week.

I assume we'll keep the Future State creative team, although I'm not sure if Nicola Scott will stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assume we'll keep the Future State creative team, although I'm not sure if Nicola Scott will stick around.
    Yeah I doubt so as well, however it would be one gorgeous book if she did!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm still hoping for Williamson on Nightwing personally..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm still hoping for Williamson on Nightwing personally..
    I expect he’ll be on JL

You never know. New people in charge, new goals. We shouldn't expect this new DC administration to be like the previous one. The entire structure of the company and their production process has reportedly changed and most of the old guard management seem to be gone.

I mean, maybe Dick keeps getting abused and ignored and treated like a sidekick. Maybe we get something better. Maybe *a lot* better. We'll find out when we find out, and while I'm not really expecting miracles here I'm trying to maintain some optimism.

As far as Nicola specifically goes, one of Nightwing's big things is his sex appeal, and everyone knows Nicola draws some damn pretty people. Might not be bad business, making sure Dick's book shows off his assets properly.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-06-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd love Scott on Nightwing, but that might also mean an even longer break between now and the next Black Magick arc, so I'm torn

I don't think the current design generates much value for the character. It's very plain and doesn't stand out, has no memorable or recognizable elements to use for marketing purposes, and as I've said before it translates very poorly to live action and other media. I think the costume on the live action Titans show looks kind of awful, and all the animated costumes where they just slap a blue bird logo on it or armor plates doesn't look great either.

To me over the last several years it has become incredibly important to have a very strong design that can stand out that can add extra value beyond just being on the comic page, and that is what can lead to greater opportunities for characters too. We are seeing that a lot now with the new characters publishers are creating, imo. Fans are allowed to think it is a great costume of course, as it is all opinion based, but I just don't really look at it and think it is anything special and don't know if it is something that would really attract interest from new fans or readers.