Page 31 of 233 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I assume it’s Tim again, lol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I doubt that DC's going to retire Dick with 5G with a time skip. That means that DC's going to be retiring all heroes from around Dick's age upwards which would include Luke who is still fit enough to do hero work so why would Dick retire?
    The (non-final) version of the 60-year timeline shown at a con had the characters largely debuting in publication order - not precisely, in that Superman, Batman and closely related characters like Dick debut alongside the rest of the Silver Age JLA (except Wonder Woman); but as a general rule - rather than characters who are currently the same age ending up "still the same age as each other, only older".

Luke didn't debut until the 2010s, so if he was aged at all, it would only be by a few years to his late-20s/early-30s (a similar age to Bruce's "classic" age. Tim was also going to be a similar sort of age). By comparison, Dick was due to get enough time dumped on him to make him late-40s or early-50s. IIRC, and having been Robin for the better part of a decade before Jason showed up.

Why is Jason on the cover of a Titans book? That is weird.

Seems both new stories are about Raven. The rest are just reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    The (non-final) version of the 60-year timeline shown at a con had the characters largely debuting in publication order - not precisely, in that Superman, Batman and closely related characters like Dick debut alongside the rest of the Silver Age JLA (except Wonder Woman); but as a general rule - rather than characters who are currently the same age ending up "still the same age as each other, only older".

Luke didn't debut until the 2010s, so if he was aged at all, it would only be by a few years to his late-20s/early-30s (a similar age to Bruce's "classic" age. Tim was also going to be a similar sort of age). By comparison, Dick was due to get enough time dumped on him to make him late-40s or early-50s. IIRC.
    That is going to make things awkward for Babs and Duke since they used to date. She is randomly going to be a lot older than him when Dick, Duke and Babs were all supposed to be the same age in the New 52.

But people thinking 5G is going to last for a long time are wrong. It will last a year or so and then DC will reboot things back to being a more normal or classing set up. They aren't going to keep Bruce being old for long, and especially him not as Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I assume it’s Tim again, lol.
    It's pretty much the New Teen Titans minus Wally and Cyborg... and for some reason, with Red Hood. It's definitely Dick this time. The Giants are AU though, so this has nothing to do with the Ric story. At least you'll get to read a more classic Dick Grayson.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    That is going to make things awkward for Babs and Duke since they used to date. She is randomly going to be a lot older than him when Dick, Duke and Babs were all supposed to be the same age in the New 52.
    You mean Luke/Batwing, not Duke/Signal, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But people thinking 5G is going to last for a long time are wrong. It will last a year or so and then DC will reboot things back to being a more normal or classing set up. They aren't going to keep Bruce being old for long, and especially him not as Batman.
    Well, yeah, that's the obvious conclusion, and Doomsday Clock even lampshaded it. But it looks like they're doing it in such a way as to make the reversal as hard as possible to pull off without hitting the "F██k It, REBOOT!" button to at least the same extent as the N52 did. It's not an aging ray scenario, they're changing the whole universe to (nearly) negate the sliding timeline, meaning Luke & Barbara won't even remember being the same age - if they dated at all, it'll have been as an older woman/younger man thing. And already-older characters like Jim Gordon and Lucius Fox will probably be straight-up killed off by it all.

Maybe they'll set up an "out" in Death Metal or whatever Generation Zero leads into. If they don't, the end of "5G" is going to be messy.

Yeah, I meant Luke and not Duke. That is who Babs dated. Their names are too similar, lol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    This is the live action season 1 roster. Just without Hawk and Dove.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I doubt that DC's going to retire Dick with 5G with a time skip. That means that DC's going to be retiring all heroes from around Dick's age upwards
    They could easily have Dick retire early (or die, or go missing) while the rest of his peers continue on.

As for the 5G timeline....supposedly we're getting books set in different eras, so even if characters have died or retired in the modern day, there'll still be titles with them in their prime, too. Some rumors say Black Label mini's, some rumors say multiple titles set within a particular generation, some rumors say the whole line will jump into 5G with both feet. Who knows what we'll get in the end?

And management does change its mind about some things, and change their efforts and methodology. Wasn't that long ago DIdio was bitching about Batman looking old, yet here we are contemplating a sixty-eighty year timeline where Bruce would probably be dead by today. And it's not like Dick was treated like *complete* crap as soon as current management walked into the room. Dick's never been a priority under Didio, and Didio has tried to get rid of him, but it wasn't until the last few years that DC *really* started taking a sh*t on Dick's head. That *could* change again, and if DC is honestly trying to use its history and legacy to its advantage, there's no better example to base it around than the NTT.

I don't expect it. I expect DC to keep treating Dick as poorly as they can. But as they say, when you prepare for the worst, all surprises are pleasant ones.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I think Jason has a point to be fair. Ric has spent months telling the family to leave him alone, then he goes to the funeral and acts sanctimonious to people in grief lashing out at someone who, arguably, should have even more grief on show than they do...but instead he's smiling and vaulting and all the rest.

It's trashy writing across the board imo, but I understand why Jason would be angry, and given it IS Jason, of course he's going to lash out. He'd have found a way to do that even if Ric was Dick. Anger is how he copes, or doesnt.
    Admittedly, this Ric arc has been a disaster from the start, poorly written and poorly integrated with the rest of the books DC is putting out.

That being said Ric, in canon, has a TBI. He has no memory of his family. Besides Alfred and Babs, he has had no positive interactions with his family. Bruce brought him to the cave and showed him his still bloodied suit while the trauma was still fresh.Tim and Jason have been completely absent. Realistically, based on those interactions who would want to be involved in that family? Jason was completely out of line, he never offered to help get Dick back on his feet and is the first person to kick him when he's down.

I mean a lot of it has to do with Tynion viewing the Batboys as one dimensional characters i.e. Jason is the angry one. Dick is the nice one. Tim is the smart one.

They really have to shove Jason everywhere. Going to pass on this one too

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I mean a lot of it has to do with Tynion viewing the Batboys as one dimensional characters i.e. Jason is the angry one. Dick is the nice one. Tim is the smart one.
    Huh? It was King who described them that way, in Heroes in Crisis. And I think it's telling that the family isn't used much in his Batman run.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Huh? It was King who described them that way, in Heroes in Crisis.
    He boxes them too in Eternal

Why is it that Grayson gets no love in the new 52 animated movies? Is it because it was not well written in New 52? A lot of the time he gets his butt handed to him.